ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WTF happened to Newark Bears Stadium??

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
On train home from work (just 3rd time since March 2020).
Passing through Newark Broad Street station and look left.

It's a huge empty lot??
Anything else going there??

It's a huge empty lot??
That site has been zoned for several luxury high-rises.

It's a huge empty lot??
I've been in Newark a fair amount lately, and have been really surprised by the amount of building that has been going on there. I was wondering what happened with the baseball stadium, though I did know they had decided to take it down and build whatever there.

I do wonder how it would have fared if it existed in the improved environment.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Zoned for redevelopment and it’s in a good spot for that. The Bears were never managed well by their ownership unlike Steve Kalafer with the Patriots. The only reason I mention that is because one franchise failed in an independent league and one succeeded. Now, a big part of that are the two diverse markets, but Patriots ownership has always hammered home customer service and fan experience.

Newark Bears games were a ton of fun, but they never drew many people. The quality of play was also not very good.. I know they tried to make it out like a high minor league experience, but it was definitely not.

I would take the kids and sometimes would count under 100 people in the stands

we would always be able to grab great seats at the last minute

One Memorial Day it was drizzling and there were maybe 5 people there besides us- my kids came home with almost a dozen foul balls

it’s a shame they couldn’t make it - it was a cheap an

in any case, Essex County never should have built the thing

At its December meeting, the board unanimously approved plans for phase one of the development, which consists of two eighteen-story residential buildings containing 299 units each. A single-story of amenity and commercial space that will connect the two buildings is also part of phase one, delivering nearly 22,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space and 15,000 square feet of amenities.

In addition to phase one approval, the Planning Board unanimously voted to give preliminary major site plan approval to the entire project, phases one through nine.

The new development, which will be known as CitiSquare Newark, will ultimately consist of 11 buildings, 4,200 residential units, 100,000 square feet of commercial, office and hospitality space, and up to 3,000 parking spaces in a vibrant new neighborhood designed to be a center of culture and connection, just steps from the Newark Broad Street train station and the Riverfront Stadium light rail station.

WALKING DISTANCE FROM RUTGERS BUSINESS SCHOOL.

Last edited:
There are at least 7-8 new apartment buildings built recently. They must be working since there are 32 pending development projects including the eleven building 4,200 residential units at the Bear Stadium.

This looks like the wrong Newark?

At its December meeting, the board unanimously approved plans for phase one of the development, which consists of two eighteen-story residential buildings containing 299 units each. A single-story of amenity and commercial space that will connect the two buildings is also part of phase one, delivering nearly 22,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space and 15,000 square feet of amenities.

In addition to phase one approval, the Planning Board unanimously voted to give preliminary major site plan approval to the entire project, phases one through nine.

The new development, which will be known as CitiSquare Newark, will ultimately consist of 11 buildings, 4,200 residential units, 100,000 square feet of commercial, office and hospitality space, and up to 3,000 parking spaces in a vibrant new neighborhood designed to be a center of culture and connection, just steps from the Newark Broad Street train station and the Riverfront Stadium light rail station.

WALKING DISTANCE FROM RUTGERS BUSINESS SCHOOL.
Seems like custom redevelopment plans . See if there are PILOT’s involved.
Not a huge risk for developers if getting pilot and worst case the place goes all affordable units ; which there is a set aside anyway.

I know I’m getting old and I try very hard not to be cranky…but. Too many commercial developers with political support to build. In the area that I live all that gets created are strip malls and apartment complexes, which of course adds to the ever worsening traffic situation. Apparently it’s now forbidden to establish something like a public park where there is space.

Newark Bears games were a ton of fun, but they never drew many people. The quality of play was also not very good.. I know they tried to make it out like a high minor league experience, but it was definitely not.

I would take the kids and sometimes would count under 100 people in the stands

we would always be able to grab great seats at the last minute

One Memorial Day it was drizzling and there were maybe 5 people there besides us- my kids came home with almost a dozen foul balls

it’s a shame they couldn’t make it - it was a cheap an

in any case, Essex County never should have built the thing
My kids and I spent a lot of time there when they were younger

I know I’m getting old and I try very hard not to be cranky…but. Too many commercial developers with political support to build. In the area that I live all that gets created are strip malls and apartment complexes, which of course adds to the ever worsening traffic situation. Apparently it’s now forbidden to establish something like a public park where there is space.
It’s a dilemma. The politicians want the taxes and jobs. So I see why parks aren’t being built . I think the issue is allowing over development . Apartment complexes don’t seem to get built with pools, tennis courts , fields and playgrounds anymore. If you’re lucky they might put a pool .
No reason why they can’t have a few of those things for residents minus some units

Red Bull Arena is nearby in Harrison. I suspect that facility sucked up other events that might have made the Newark Stadium somewhat more financially viable.

Wasn't Rutgers taking the old lights from the stadium? Or maybe it was something else?

Red Bull Arena is nearby in Harrison. I suspect that facility sucked up other events that might have made the Newark Stadium somewhat more financially viable.
Do you mean other forms of entertainment outside sports? I think with NJPAC and Prudential there, options would be limited. Not sure Red Bull has too much there other than soccer.

Do you mean other forms of entertainment outside sports? I think with NJPAC and Prudential there, options would be limited. Not sure Red Bull has too much there other than soccer.
The traffic around Red Bull is terrible, so busy, no easy way of driving around that area.

You can take the train and walk over the Bridge with their fans. No car is necessary.
I wasn't planning to see any game but was wondering about the Path train to NY from Harrison. No possible way of boarding at Harrison.

Every town and city in NJ is a dump to you except Stone Harbor and wherever you live right now, somewhere in far west NJ.
Not true, lots of nice towns in NJ. But yes, plenty of dumps.....especially cities and overdeveloped suburban areas.

Reactions: goru1869

I meant things other than baseball. Sports and non-sports. With that, I just checked on events at Red Bull Arena - nothing but MLS and NWSL matches this year. I thought they had concerts and maybe some other events like lacrosse or rugby there. So I guess my thesis may be wrong.

Public park?!?!? But muh ratables...

Reactions: goru1869
The Bears used to shoot off fireworks after every game,waking up people living near the Passaic in Harrison.After a long extra inning game one year,they shot them off past 1 AM,on a weeknight no less.

At one time during the Bears' stay,I had professional baseball,basketball,hockey,and soccer within walking distance.

ADVERTISEMENT