ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WWII Buffs - Munich

I'll be in Munich in a few months, definitely am interested in learning more about WW2, thanks for sharing!

This channel (been a big fan of for a while now) also recently did an amazing series of videos on Antietam and Lexington/Concord.
Yes, I have been watching this channel for a while also.

They did a good series on the beaches of Normandy and the areas around them.

Total WWII histry buff here recentlty finished reading these books by Alex Kershaw,

First was the Liberator follows the battlefield journey of US army officer Felix Sparks from Sicily to Munich. Amazing to say the least

The other was Against All Odds follows 5 MOH recipient ( Audie Murphy and others) and their wartime and back at home lives during and after WWII.

Both amazing detailed accounts.

One of my favorite genres are stories of Resistance and Spy networks in France and Spain led by the British SOE. One great read is Operation Mincemeat which used a dead body as a fake clue to the allied invasion to throw off the Nazis and Hitler.

if you have other great books pass them on

Reactions: cshelley
All good suggestions. We've talked about bike tour and Dachau is definitely something I'd like to visit. I've been to Germany but just a small city on the western portion so im reall looki forwa to visiti again. We're going to Berlin and Prague too if anyone has any suggestions of things to see?

My uncle was knocked out of the air during a bombing run over Germany right near the end of the war in 1945. He survived while the whole crew died before they hit the ground. He was operating a Liberator, B-24 Bomber. German plane purposely hit the lead Allied plane (kamikaze) and it caused the deputy lead plane to be hit and crash.

Total WWII histry buff here recentlty finished reading these books by Alex Kershaw,

First was the Liberator follows the battlefield journey of US army officer Felix Sparks from Sicily to Munich. Amazing to say the least

The other was Against All Odds follows 5 MOH recipient ( Audie Murphy and others) and their wartime and back at home lives during and after WWII.

One of my favorite genres are stories of Resistance and Spy networks in France and Spain led by the British SOE. One great read is Operation Mincemeat which used a dead body as a fake clue to the allied invasion to throw off the Nazis and Hitler.

Posted on this before, but my wife's dad was in the same platoon as Audie Murphy from Italy to France and then Germany. Got to hear some amazing stories (and everything you may have ever heard about Murphy's fearless heroism is true) - he was interviewed a few times for TV and print stories.

Posted on this before, but my wife's dad was in the same platoon as Audie Murphy from Italy to France and then Germany. Got to hear some amazing stories (and everything you may have ever heard about Murphy's fearless heroism is true) - he was interviewed a few times for TV and print stories.
His division produced over 40 MOH recipients More than twice as many as others . Its an amazing story that has not received the same exposure as D- Day to Germany Campaign.

Reactions: RU848789
Try to check out Dachau on the outskirts of Munich if you're interested in Holocaust related history. Sobering and kind of chilling experience.
The picture of the guards running around the pit of dead bodies as a means to stay in shape was the most eye popping thing there imho. Now you want to to see a camp, feel chills, and walk away changed, do Auschwitz.

Reactions: cshelley
Bet he and my grandfather knew each other. Same....

Small world for sure

Reactions: RU848789

Was really more the German high command obsession with Patton. Sitting Patton with inflatable tanks and wooden ships for 3 days did more for d day success than anything else but all good stories!

Of note, I've one of the 7500 hundred original cricket clickers on my collection of war memorabilia. I tip my hat to all of those brave men

The concentration camps must be an unbelievable visit. I went to The Killing Fields in Cambodia and that was an experience. No one knows exactly how many died. The Khmer Rouge were not the meticulous record keepers that the Nazis were but estimates were 1.5 to 3 million people were killed. Since the population of Cambodia at the time was only about 7 million potentially over 40% of the population was killed.
No gas chambers. All done by hand. There's a stupa (burial building) there with 5,000 skulls inside. Chilling

The concentration camps must be an unbelievable visit. I went to The Killing Fields in Cambodia and that was an experience. No one knows exactly how many died. The Khmer Rouge were not the meticulous record keepers that the Nazis were but estimates were 1.5 to 3 million people were killed. Since the population of Cambodia at the time was only about 7 million potentially over 40% of the population was killed.
No gas chambers. All done by hand. There's a stupa (burial building) there with 5,000 skulls inside. Chilling
I'm heading there next month to see ankor wat and the Taj. We're taking a day to go see this

Reactions: colbert17
Reactions: colbert17
These are great books by Winston Churchill about WWII spanning from the aftermath of Versailles, through the ‘30s, and through WWII. These are beautiful leather bound and great paper but you can get the with regular binding and pages for much less money.

just think, Dachau wasn't even a 'bad' one by Nazi standards.

I read a book called the Nazi Doctors or close to it which detailed a lot of the happenings in the camps. Nazis, Stalin, Khemir Rouge, Terror orgs, it's all just mind boggling how decrepit and evil some men can be and sadder still that so many are so weak as to follow.

Potentially a pretty good series of videos coming this spring from the History Underground

Potentially a pretty good series of videos coming this spring from the History Underground

interesting his opening monologue in that I've a pic of my grandfather in munich near the boar in marian platz in 45 and I've the same pic of me in the same stance in 2000:)

ADVERTISEMENT