ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Xfinity/Comcast question

RUforJERSEY

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2001
Mableton , Georgia
I'm just about to cut the cable cord. Running PS Vue via Amazon Fire TV. My question is how much should I expect to pay for just internet once I inform them that I'm cancelling 2/3rd's of my triple play in a few days? Just waiting for my free seven day trial with PSV to end. It's been a good while since I paid for just internet alone so I just want to make sure that they're not going to try to rip me off.

I'm just about to cut the cable cord. Running PS Vue via Amazon Fire TV. My question is how much should I expect to pay for just internet once I inform them that I'm cancelling 2/3rd's of my triple play in a few days? Just waiting for my free seven day trial with PSV to end. It's been a good while since I paid for just internet alone so I just want to make sure that they're not going to try to rip me off.
As an existing customer looking to downgrade probably about $70 a month. If your lucky with a promotion you can get it for about $50 a month. They really don't discount much for only one service. I know some people who end up getting a bundle with tv because it cheaper then buying the internet alone.

Reactions: Underdogs88
I can't remember the name of the website where you can test your cable (internet) service?

Never mind, found it. speedtest.net

Last edited:
Reactions: armcav
I have the highest speed that comcast will offer without the triple play and I was paying 79 a month. my bill just came two days ago and it is now 84. So it looks like they raised it or taxes and fees went up. Bottom line it was 84 bucks

I have the highest speed that comcast will offer without the triple play and I was paying 79 a month. my bill just came two days ago and it is now 84. So it looks like they raised it or taxes and fees went up. Bottom line it was 84 bucks
This is why I keep triple play. Right now I have the premier package with all the premiums and with all taxes my bill is $147. So even if I went with the equivalent PlayStation vue at $65 it going to cost me more than just staying with Comcast.

Thanks for the replies. I really wish that all of their competitors were available no matter where you live. Unfortunately that's not the case.

Maybe once Trump "fixes" healthcare by allowing companies to sell insurance across state lines, he can apply the same logic to cable companies.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
A big part of the cost is running and maintaining the connection to your house. Since most people buy cable TV first and then add internet, the cost of the physical connection is usually built into the TV cost and internet is priced as an add on.

I think they should price the connection and services separately. For example, you pay $50 for the connection, $45 for your TV channel package, and $35 for internet service. That makes the price more transparent.

Of course, then some people would claim they're being nickeled and dimed.

Reactions: gunboat
A big part of the cost is running and maintaining the connection to your house. Since most people buy cable TV first and then add internet, the cost of the physical connection is usually built into the TV cost and internet is priced as an add on.

I think they should price the connection and services separately. For example, you pay $50 for the connection, $45 for your TV channel package, and $35 for internet service. That makes the price more transparent.

Of course, then some people would claim they're being nickeled and dimed.
Why should it cost $50 a month for a "connection"? Your gas and electric connections are more involved and difficult to maintain and wouldn't cost that if split out.

The real problem here in Jersey is that the politicians have all been bought and paid for by the cable companies and telcos. A development cannot even create their own ISP anymore and run their own damn cable/fiber... its against the law!

Last edited:
I'm a comcast customer and am upgrading to the X1 platform this week. Any comments on how the service is?

I'm a comcast customer and am upgrading to the X1 platform this week. Any comments on how the service is?

Love X1 too, you may be due an increase in internet connection speed as part of the upgrade.

The real travesty is what they charge to rent set top boxes each month. Those fracking things are paid for within 9-12 months but you pay forever.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
The cable cost for internet only will change once 5G is implemented. The last mile to homes will become wireless. Right now cable is the only choice in a lot of areas. Network providers are not investing in alternate hard wired solutions because of 5G. We are a few years away from 5G but that is the future of your home internet connection.

Reactions: RU Golfer
Who here remembers 9600 baud dial-up modems? The AOL busy signal when trying to connect? These companies have invested billions of dollars in infrastructure to create this service and now they are monetizing. It's not about the variable cost of a connection to a home no more than paying $6 for a bottle of water at Disneyworld is about the actual cost of the water bottle.

ADVERTISEMENT