ADVERTISEMENT

OT - xfinity Comcast X1

Crimedog2

Junior
Dec 19, 2010
Anyone have the x 1 service from Comcast?
Thinking of upgrading my current Comcast boxes. Also, anyone hear that these new X1 boxes spike your electric bill?

Thank you!

Anyone, anyone , anyone??

Id also be interested because they keep telling me that I should upgrade soon. Someone has to have X1 here. I think it will include Netflix with your ondemand if you have a Netflix account so thats pretty signifcant

Id also be interested because they keep telling me that I should upgrade soon. Someone has to have X1 here. I think it will include Netflix with your ondemand if you have a Netflix account so thats pretty signifcant

Yes, they said it will include Netflix. Even on the baby boxes as they call them too which you may have in a bedroom.

Jerk. I think it's a service. Would save you time versus bumping these threads and waiting, waiting ...

Also, are you even an RU football fan? You seem to post these types of complete OT questions exclusively.

Yeah putting a Google link very clever. No, I am a Temple fan at heart. Hope they hire flood.

There's no way a box with solid state circuitry inside it could "spike your electric bill". It would burn itself up even trying to draw that much current.

Reactions: 17Q66
All - I have X1. I highly recommend. Netflix is now integrated into the UI. Voice remote is phenomenal. Search is very easy.

I also work for Comcast so can give any info needed.

Ok thank you. As ru real noted , there is no way these boxes increase the electric bill?

I have X1 as well. I like the features of it, but I have had issues with it, usually when my internet is giving not working properly.

is there a new modem or wires that the cable guy will have to install or is it just a new box
It is just a box but if you have an older wireless gateway / modem you may want to replace that too. X1 and your internet service work together. It's more than simply a "box replacement". It has its own operating system and user interface - think like a Romu or Apple TV.

I have X1 as well. I like the features of it, but I have had issues with it, usually when my internet is giving not working properly.
I'm not a tech guy, but marketing, but the way it has been explained to me is that X1 is an IP based device that works with your internet service. It's not simply delivering tv service but works in partnership with your internet service.

New modem and boxes. Modem might have been just because I had not gotten one in a while. Mother box in one room, which serves as the DVR, and other boxes work off that (including non HD TV I have. That's just a different box.) Can record and view what you recorded in any room. Only need the one DVR. FFWD and RWD live TV, voice searches on the remote, which is nice. I don't know about Netflix since I don't have an account.

Anyone have the x 1 service from Comcast?
Thinking of upgrading my current Comcast boxes. Also, anyone hear that these new X1 boxes spike your electric bill?

Thank you!
It sucks. Hate the service. High costs and weak package offerings.

It sucks. Hate the service. High costs and weak package offerings.
That has nothing to do with X1. I get if you don't like Comcast in aggregate but the OP asked specifically about experiences with the new X1 box.

I had since since it 1st was released. So I have the original X1 box. I also have the new remote. It was a bit rough in the beginning, but it is a mature platform now. Well worth getting if you already have Comcast.

Reactions: Block R
I upgraded to X1 about a year ago. They sent me a new modem, cable box and remote. You disconnect the old equipment and replace with the new. Easy peasy. As others have said, it is far superior to the old platform. In addition to Netflix, you can also access your Pandora account to play music. The voice remote lets you avoid hunting around for stuff, you can pause a football game to go to the head or get a snack, rewind a play to see it again, yeah it rocks.
It had better, I'm paying these guys an arm and a leg...

I had since since it 1st was released. So I have the original X1 box. I also have the new remote. It was a bit rough in the beginning, but it is a mature platform now. Well worth getting if you already have Comcast.
This. I never wanted Comcast but because my association are idiots who wouldn't allow Verizon to dig any holes to connect the development, I have no choice. With X1, which I've had since the beginning, there is still occasional lag as you move about the menus but not as frequent or as bad as it used to be. Regarding Netflix integration which was recently added: it is nice because you can search and select Netflix content without opening the app but to be clear, you're still streaming the Netflix content over the internet (it is not the same as On Demand). Comcast also just sent me the new voice remote (unsolicited, no charge) but I haven't used it yet.

We got it about a month ago. We love it. The voice commands can be used to search by actor or channel. The only problem we have is when we record a program, it records it in both regular and HD, so each show is recorded twice. It's great that you can watch the recording on any TV.

I have had X1 for several years. Just upgraded to the newest equipment. It is amazing how small a cable box is now.

I find the sports app very helpful. just press a button and you can scroll through all the games being broadcast for each sport and get the scores for the games in progress. This is very helpful during college football season to see which games are being broadcast at a glance rather than hopping from one sports channel to another.

Reactions: LSRF
I find the sports app very helpful. just press a button and you can scroll through all the games being broadcast for each sport and get the scores for the games in progress. This is very helpful during college football season to see which games are being broadcast at a glance rather than hopping from one sports channel to another.

Also helps when your wife texts to ask what channel game is on. Now you just say press "C"

Reactions: Ready to Rumble
I had X1 service and it was okay, but then I switched to a TiVo box and it's way better than the X1 equipment, plus there's the added benefit that my bill reduced significantly.

I had X1 service and it was okay, but then I switched to a TiVo box and it's way better than the X1 equipment, plus there's the added benefit that my bill reduced significantly.
As noted above I am a Comcast employee and have both X1 and 2 Tivos at home. Tivos will save you money in the monthly equipment and DVR fees should you choose their lifetime service option. However it does require significant outlay up front. I paid something like $850 for the TiVo box and a lifetime service. That's a lot of money up front. Both user interfaces are good though. My wife prefers the Tivos, I prefer X1. Also - X1 has some amazing app integration for your mobile devices. I record Shows on the X1 DVR, download them to my iPad, and watch them on the train while I commute. Very convenient.

As noted above I am a Comcast employee and have both X1 and 2 Tivos at home. Tivos will save you money in the monthly equipment and DVR fees should you choose their lifetime service option. However it does require significant outlay up front. I paid something like $850 for the TiVo box and a lifetime service. That's a lot of money up front. Both user interfaces are good though. My wife prefers the Tivos, I prefer X1. Also - X1 has some amazing app integration for your mobile devices. I record Shows on the X1 DVR, download them to my iPad, and watch them on the train while I commute. Very convenient.
You'll save a lot of money even without the lifetime service. Comcast provides the cable card free, plus, once you switch to TiVo it eliminates the monthly HD Fee. So if you're renting two boxes with Comcast, you'll save about $20/month net, and that assumes you don't get lifetime service and just pay the $12/month TiVo monthly fee. The upfront cost would be $160 for the Bolt and $150 for the TiVo mini, for a total of $310 (if you need more than 4 tuners, then it would be more upfront cost). The break even is just over a year and after that you start making money. Plus, if you need access in more rooms, you can just add more Mini's. There are no service fees for the Minis - just the upfront cost. There is also great app integration with the TiVo and you don't even need to download the shows to the device - you can stream it or download it. Plus, Netflix, Amazon etc are all built into the TiVo and so you can search for those programs and watch without having to leave the TiVo. TiVo also has commercial skip and so for recorded shows with the press of a button, it completely skips the commercials. IMO there's no comparison between the TiVO interface and optionality and the X1. Add in the fact you save money and it's a no brainer.

You'll save a lot of money even without the lifetime service. Comcast provides the cable card free, plus, once you switch to TiVo it eliminates the monthly HD Fee. So if you're renting two boxes with Comcast, you'll save about $20/month net, and that assumes you don't get lifetime service and just pay the $12/month TiVo monthly fee. The upfront cost would be $160 for the Bolt and $150 for the TiVo mini, for a total of $310 (if you need more than 4 tuners, then it would be more upfront cost). The break even is just over a year and after that you start making money. Plus, if you need access in more rooms, you can just add more Mini's. There are no service fees for the Minis - just the upfront cost. There is also great app integration with the TiVo and you don't even need to download the shows to the device - you can stream it or download it. Plus, Netflix, Amazon etc are all built into the TiVo and so you can search for those programs and watch without having to leave the TiVo. TiVo also has commercial skip and so for recorded shows with the press of a button, it completely skips the commercials. IMO there's no comparison between the TiVO interface and optionality and the X1. Add in the fact you save money and it's a no brainer.
Yeah - but you have a TiVo guy for your avatar. You can't possibly be unbiased :)

It's fascinating how many people are cord cutting to spend little to no money on TV and the other set are spending thousands to not miss a millisecond.

That has nothing to do with X1. I get if you don't like Comcast in aggregate but the OP asked specifically about experiences with the new X1 box.
Been a loyal customer almost 15 years and every year I have to have long discussions with them to correct bills because their sales folks over promise and HQ just hopes you don't catch on. Really question integrity of their field offices. The box is ok. Not much different than folks I know that have direct TV and now AT&T. More competition needed in this industry.

I got a notification from Comcast that I have to upgrade my existing DVR and they want to switch me to X1.

From what I understand about the X1 DVR service is that it is web-based. So all your recordings are stored on the cloud, not on the box in your home, and when you want to watch something you are really streaming it from the cloud.

Is this correct? If so, what happens if you have internet issues? If you lose your internet connection does that mean you can no longer watch your recordings?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT