ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Yamaha - RX-V4A - A/V Receiver - CBS Sports Network

William J. Leggett

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Nyack, NY
en.m.wikipedia.org
I just purchased a new HT system and recently set it up. It works great with all my different sound input/streaming devices (Xfinity Cable Box, Xbox, Chromcast, AirPlay).

The ONLY issue I am having is that ONLY the CBS Sports Network channel has NO audio.

Every other channel or audio input works fine!

It is only this one channel…. I have no issues CBS and only CBS Sports Network.

I’ve searched online and cannot find anything on the issue. I’ve reached out to Yamaha and also Xfinity and waiting for them to get back to me, BUT I’m guessing that CBS Sport Network must have some funky audio frequency that it is being pumped through with by Xfinity and my HT system cannot process it currently. The channel work fine with my older receiver.

I’ve updated the firmware and that didn’t work, but hoping that maybe there is a software glitch and that Yamaha can determine the problem and update the firmware on their end.

Has anyone ever run into this issue before?

I have the same unit, like the previous poster my advice would be to change the way the input signal is processed. Look at the manual/setup and change it to straight from the source. I don't have CBS sports network to test if this works.

If that doesn't work try the home theater subreddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/

I just purchased a new HT system and recently set it up. It works great with all my different sound input/streaming devices (Xfinity Cable Box, Xbox, Chromcast, AirPlay).

The ONLY issue I am having is that ONLY the CBS Sports Network channel has NO audio.

Every other channel or audio input works fine!

It is only this one channel…. I have no issues CBS and only CBS Sports Network.

I’ve searched online and cannot find anything on the issue. I’ve reached out to Yamaha and also Xfinity and waiting for them to get back to me, BUT I’m guessing that CBS Sport Network must have some funky audio frequency that it is being pumped through with by Xfinity and my HT system cannot process it currently. The channel work fine with my older receiver.

I’ve updated the firmware and that didn’t work, but hoping that maybe there is a software glitch and that Yamaha can determine the problem and update the firmware on their end.

Has anyone ever run into this issue before?
Is this issue through the CBSSN App?

Not a Yamaha issue, but through my Onkyo, I stream TuneIn channels. Some channels (e.g., altrok (Brookdale Community College HD2 Channel) do not stream through TuneIn. When I looked up the issue, it has something to do with security settings, and I just route the audio through a tablet via a different app and bluetooth. Not the answer you are looking for, but it could have something to do with the site it is streaming through?

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Have you tried changing to PCM audio instead of Stereo?
All the channels are coming directly in from my Xfinity cable box and when I check the audio source information it is saying the signal is PCM. All channels work perfectly with the exception of rhe CBS Sport Network channel (854 - Xfinity). I am NOT using an app on my phone and streaming the channel to my receiver. I am changing the channel on my Xfinity box to it…. I’m starting to think that Xfinity is pumping the channel through to my box using an internal app and maybe that is the issue as the o th er poster below pointed out with their similar issue.

Is this issue through the CBSSN App?

Not a Yamaha issue, but through my Onkyo, I stream TuneIn channels. Some channels (e.g., altrok (Brookdale Community College HD2 Channel) do not stream through TuneIn. When I looked up the issue, it has something to do with security settings, and I just route the audio through a tablet via a different app and bluetooth. Not the answer you are looking for, but it could have something to do with the site it is streaming through?
No. At least I don’t think so…. I am switch to the channel on my box. I am not streaming the channel or using and app on my phone. So.. As just mentioned in my prior response it might be how Xfinity is pumping the channel through and my receiver is having an issue decoding it. When I go to any other room the sound for the channel comes through.

I have the same unit, like the previous poster my advice would be to change the way the input signal is processed. Look at the manual/setup and change it to straight from the source. I don't have CBS sports network to test if this works.

If that doesn't work try the home theater subreddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/
I’ve tried this and switched to straight and it doesn’t work… Very strange..

Fixed it!!! I went into my box settings and “reset” the Audio Language (SAP).

I also changed my HDMI Audio Output from “Stereo” to “Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1)” and changed my Digital Audio Output (Optical/SPDIF) from “Stereo” to “Dolby Digital 5.1”.

I actually switched those two first and nothing happened and then did the SAP reset and it worked!! WTF…

Reactions: Knight Shift

I also changed my HDMI Audio Output from “Stereo” to “Auto Detect (Dolby Digital 5.1)” and changed my Digital Audio Output (Optical/SPDIF) from “Stereo” to “Dolby Digital 5.1”.

I actually switched those two first and nothing happened and then did the SAP reset and it worked!! WTF…
My next guess was going to be a digital rights management (DRM) issue, but glad you fixed it. These issues can be so elusive.

Maybe it was sending an empty SAP audio to the receiver and your reset set it back to the default (non empty) audio program.

ADVERTISEMENT