ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Yardley/Newtown PA Home Soon to Market

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
Not sure if this is against board rules or not but if it is feel free to delete mods. I’ll attempt to get out in front of this and turn it into a “nice places in to live in PA” thread if that keeps it from getting deleted ;).

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new home in Yardley or Newtown PA. If you are considering putting your place up or know someone who is you can reply or PM me. Looking for 4BR 2,500+ Sq ft min. No contingency and no realtor contract singed.

Note: we will fly a big ass Rutgers flag in a predominantly Penn St area. Recruiting never stops ;)

Not sure if this is against board rules or not but if it is feel free to delete mods. I’ll attempt to get out in front of this and turn it into a “nice places in to live in PA” thread if that keeps it from getting deleted ;).

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new home in Yardley or Newtown PA. If you are considering putting your place up or know someone who is you can reply or PM me. Looking for 4BR 2,500+ Sq ft min. No contingency and no realtor contract singed.

Note: we will fly a big ass Rutgers flag in a predominantly Penn St area. Recruiting never stops ;)
There are more people originally from NJ in that part of Bucks County. Lots of Yankee fans too.

Good luck. I know someone who went 30,000 above asking price in that area in the last month to beat 30 other offers. They lost out to the guy who 50,000 above!

Good luck. I know someone who went 30,000 above asking price in that area in the last month to beat 30 other offers. They lost out to the guy who 50,000 above!

Yup sellers market is an understatement.

I know we’re gonna have to pay and ready to do that. Already pre-approved at market rate +. But in the end a sale by owner is gonna save $35K in commission with a realtor.

As crazy as this may sound that even sounds low. In some of the suburban markets in north jersey right now if youre not at least 6-figures over ask and waiving appraisal and inspections youre not competitive. It is truly wild. I had a listing in March where we had a ton of offers but 6 individual offers that were $100k or more over ask. Theres like 20 buyers for every home on the market. Nuts

Yup sellers market is an understatement.

I know we’re gonna have to pay and ready to do that. Already pre-approved at market rate +. But in the end a sale by owner is gonna save $35K in commission with a realtor.
It's worth it. A beautiful place to live. Lived there nearly 15 years. Easy to get anywhere in PA or NJ?

There are more people originally from NJ in that part of Bucks County. Lots of Yankee fans too.
And it's still much closer to Rutgers Stadium and the RAC than to Crappy Valley.

The Yardley-Newtown stretch in upper Bucks was all farms in the mid-90s when the firm I was with designed the site for a Lockheed Martin facility on Rt. 332. Doesn't feel like all that long ago but ~25 years has come and gone since then. Where does the time go?!

Last edited:
As crazy as this may sound that even sounds low. In some of the suburban markets in north jersey right now if youre not at least 6-figures over ask and waiving appraisal and inspections youre not competitive. It is truly wild. I had a listing in March where we had a ton of offers but 6 individual offers that were $100k or more over ask. Theres like 20 buyers for every home on the market. Nuts
+1
Many are getting out of the local dumpy cities.

I'm in Hamilton my buddies father also lives in Hamilton and said the house across from him is for sale and people from NY are in a bidding war for it. He knows the realtor and said they are offering 90k more then asking. Crazy high IMO. The realtor said a bunch on people from NY are looking at houses in NJ

I'm in Hamilton my buddies father also lives in Hamilton and said the house across from him is for sale and people from NY are in a bidding war for it. He knows the realtor and said they are offering 90k more then asking. Crazy high IMO. The realtor said a bunch on people from NY are looking at houses in NJ
It’s a horrible time to buy a house right now. My wife and I timed it perfectly by buying in June of 2019 apparently.

+1
Many are getting out of the local dumpy cities.
Quite a bit of inner suburb to outer suburb moves, and apartment in one suburb to house in another suburb moves. For as many folks that are leaving cities, there are others moving in and taking advantage of rent concessions or the increased supply/vacancies putting downward pressure on rents. Not a bad time to get into cities for those looking for that option.

Reactions: rucoe89

Are you only looking across the river?

I moved to Holland - between Newtown and Richboro - 12 years ago. I lived most of my life in Jersey and never really considered PA, but was living in Mercer County at the time and my wife said ’look at the school system (we are in Council Rock) and the taxes (we started at about $4200 and currently pay about $4700 for a very standard 4br 2 1/2 bath 2400 sq ft colonial on 1/3 of an acre. Was a great move and is a really nice place to live.

At the time I was traveling a lot for work- VA down through GA. I was bragging about the ‘low taxes’ on my new place and I just about got laughed out of the room. Guys had 50 acre spreads and paid 5k in property tax....everything is relative.

Must be looking for tax relief!
I have a 4 bedroom 3 bath 2200 expanded cape on 1,2 acres 10 mins from river near Washington Crossing and pay $7,200. Not sure Yardlee or Newtown that much better.
Then again there are plenty of other considerations to weigh.

I moved to Holland - between Newtown and Richboro - 12 years ago. I lived most of my life in Jersey and never really considered PA, but was living in Mercer County at the time and my wife said ’look at the school system (we are in Council Rock) and the taxes (we started at about $4200 and currently pay about $4700 for a very standard 4br 2 1/2 bath 2400 sq ft colonial on 1/3 of an acre. Was a great move and is a really nice place to live.

At the time I was traveling a lot for work- VA down through GA. I was bragging about the ‘low taxes’ on my new place and I just about got laughed out of the room. Guys had 50 acre spreads and paid 5k in property tax....everything is relative.
Yeah, just look at their school systems

I’ve lived in Yardley for 11 years and love it! There are a LOT of Rutgers alums here so you wouldn’t be alone. Note that most homes with a Yardley address are in Lower Makefield Twp(LMT). Also a handful homes in LMT have a Newtown or Washington Crossing address. I keep a close eye on Zillow and new houses are popping up for sale every day, though many are selling fast, especially those for the size you’re looking for under and $600k. Don’t get discouraged. It is a great area! Personally, I prefer Yardley/Lower Makefield to Newtown. It is quieter and less traffic around town. Property Taxes are a bit higher and Pennsbury schools are not quite as highly ranked as Council Rock but still very good. Note that most PA municipalities have a local income tax of up to 1% but Lower Makefield does not while Newtown does, so that may account for the difference in property tax.

It’s a horrible time to buy a house right now. My wife and I timed it perfectly by buying in June of 2019 apparently.

August 2019 here. Paid 750k. Next summer same house down the street went for 900k. We put about 175k of work into ours and I would probably list it right now for 999k. Feels good.

August 2019 here. Paid 750k. Next summer same house down the street went for 900k. We put about 175k of work into ours and I would probably list it right now for 999k. Feels good.
A lot of life is about timing! :)

cItIeS aRe dUmPs

Hoboken Average Home Price $715.700
Jersey City Average Home Price $551,425

And Yardley...which is definitely a nice area and with good schools is 459k. Newtown 524k. I know someone moving to Newtown from a town in NJ the agenda drivers would say is heaven on Earth.

So maybe keep crappy, failed agendas out of threads where people are looking for advice, not bullcrap.

Cities were dumps to begin with
Agenda much? No surprise given the soulless-sleepy-town-is-paradise position you have espoused here before. You should have considered my qualifier "for those looking for that option" because while cities/urban areas might not meet your needs they certainly appeal to some others and may represent opportune timing for them. To each their own.

Agenda much? No surprise given the soulless-sleepy-town-is-paradise position you have espoused here before. You should have considered my qualifier "for those looking for that option" because while cities/urban areas might not meet your needs they certainly appeal to some others and may represent opportune timing for them. To each their own.
Just giving some facts for those "looking for that option". Cities are in decay. Folks need to do their HW and understand that society has changed. Look at NJ cities and compare to nice suburban towns - crime, medium home value, schools, etc. Night and day difference.

Just giving some facts for those "looking for that option". Cities are in decay. Folks need to do their HW and understand that society has changed. Look at NJ cities and compare to nice suburban towns - crime, medium home value, schools, etc. Night and day difference.
I think there may be a difference between small city vs. Big and certainly by location.
There may also be some "weeding out" of factors that could eventually make some of them more attractive..i.e. Less traffics, congestion, pollution, etc.
Thinking of places like Wilmington, NC. For the former and perhaps NYC for the latter.

Guy pretty much just needs to affirm his own choices by talking down the alternatives.

Good luck with the move, OP.

cItIeS aRe dUmPs

Hoboken Average Home Price $715.700
Jersey City Average Home Price $551,425

And Yardley...which is definitely a nice area and with good schools is 459k. Newtown 524k. I know someone moving to Newtown from a town in NJ the agenda drivers would say is heaven on Earth.

So maybe keep crappy, failed agendas out of threads where people are looking for advice, not bullcrap.

Very few people raise families in Hoboken and JC and if they do it’s because they’re commuting to NY and paying for private school. Try again.

Selective facts perhaps, as blanket statements such as "cities are in decay" are not the complete picture. Obviously anyone in the market should be doing their homework and weighing all of the factors that they feel should be prioritized based on their personal circumstances, preferences, life stage, etc. Alas, some folks are still moving into cities even in this climate, no doubt more of the renters/20-somethings (as opposed to families looking to buy) so they are not necessarily making long term decisions. They must have their reasons however flawed they may be.

Last edited:

I live in Holland as well. Newtown and Yardley get all the attention but right next to it is Holland in Northampton Township and takes the cake with the lowest taxes in the area. I too pay just under 5k for a 4 bed/2.5 bath colonial on .7 acres. Can't beat it. Super convenient to everywhere you want to go without the pricetag.

I live in Holland as well. Newtown and Yardley get all the attention but right next to it is Holland in Northampton Township and takes the cake with the lowest taxes in the area. I too pay just under 5k for a 4 bed/2.5 bath colonial on .7 acres. Can't beat it. Super convenient to everywhere you want to go without the pricetag.
Let me know if you ever want to grab a beer at the Green Parrot or the Temp- nice to see a fellow RU fan in Holland.

It's worth it. A beautiful place to live. Lived there nearly 15 years. Easy to get anywhere in PA or NJ?

I’ve lived in Yardley for 11 years and love it! There are a LOT of Rutgers alums here so you wouldn’t be alone. Note that most homes with a Yardley address are in Lower Makefield Twp(LMT). Also a handful homes in LMT have a Newtown or Washington Crossing address. I keep a close eye on Zillow and new houses are popping up for sale every day, though many are selling fast, especially those for the size you’re looking for under and $600k. Don’t get discouraged. It is a great area! Personally, I prefer Yardley/Lower Makefield to Newtown. It is quieter and less traffic around town. Property Taxes are a bit higher and Pennsbury schools are not quite as highly ranked as Council Rock but still very good. Note that most PA municipalities have a local income tax of up to 1% but Lower Makefield does not while Newtown does, so that may account for the difference in property tax.

I rent in Yardley now (last 3 years) and definitely see a future here for us.

I've been in Yardley for eleven years and I'm afraid there is a township ordinance against this! (Well, that's not true, but I'm working on it.)

Going back to 2010, we were shown a good number of place in Yardley/Lower Makefield and Newtown, but Newtown never appealed to us. It's a fine town and as @dgraffius and others mentioned, Council Rock schools are rated higher than Pennsbury, but Pennsbury is also excellent (CR just happens to be one of the five best in the state).

So we're actually in Lower Makefield, but the historic prominence of Yardley Boro is what lends its name to the entire area. LMT town hall even lists its address as Yardley, Pa. Taken as one, since in many ways they are and Yardley is the hole in the middle of the C-shaped donut that is LMT (the fourth side is the river), it's a terrific place to live - super high quality of life, aesthetically pleasing, convenient to everywhere (plenty of NYC commuters as well as Phila.), and with plenty of nice older housing stock, along with newer construction. I can't recommend it enough.

In my neighborhood, where at least half are Jersey ex-pats, I see little evidence of Rutgers alumni (though some may not show the outward signs through flags/magnets/etc. - my wife is one and hasn't had an R on her car in a decade or so, for whatever reason). A lot of PSU, Villanova, Penn, and Temple, but I do see a good amount of R magnets on cars around town and the occasional flag. If you drive around enough and see a Seton Hall flag, you've probably located my home, though I keep the flag restricted to basketball season.

Reactions: RUsojo

LOL

Tell us about all the suburban towns with 771k median home value.

In NJ there are a few- but none you'd ever have a nice word for

Very few people raise families in Hoboken and JC and if they do it’s because they’re commuting to NY and paying for private school. Try again.

Interesting, there are some people- believe it or not- who- get this- don't have children- and brace yourself- are homeowners and contributors to the economy.

That said, McNair Academy is one of the best public schools in the country, never mind NJ, so maybe you ought to try again.

Cant believe some cant resist but to make it a political thing.

I have heard good things about Yardley- Good luck out there. May be tough to find a good for sale by owner though.
Interesting about the market- kind of sux that I hit it at the wrong time but felt like the right time when we sold. We sold our house in Mahwah in Jan 2020. Right before we understood COVID- so we sold and were happy to. We got a good number. But then, Feb/March hits- our first thought was- "Damn, we sold just in time. Would suck to still be on the market when no one is coming out to look at houses"

Yeah- right...We had EXACTLY the type of home NYC Millennial families with young kids were looking for.
Good School System, Close to everything, 5 BR's beautiful park like Acre of land with Pool, turn key luxury.

ADVERTISEMENT