ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your Big Sports Moment

Hole in one....43 yards on a pitch and putt course. My friends jumped all over me like we won the world series.

10 consecutive spares in a game while bowling as a 13 year old. Got a patch which I still have.

I know your HS team looks on that record with awe. When I was on my HS track team we had a almost 40 year old triple jump record. We always had really good track athletes so we figured this guy had to be superman. Nobody even knew him because the record was so old. But he had actually gone to Hollywood and in the 40s sang "Ol Man River" in a film.

I won’t post my high school because I enjoy the anonymity of this board. But there is a story behind recognition of that record. I found out several years ago through a coworker that I ran into who I competed with that my high school had its records literally thrown out by a disaffected AD. He told me he was sure I ran faster than the current record they were holding. So I emailed the AD who forwarded my email to the current coach. I produced evidence through photos of my time which was a full 1/2 seconds faster than what they had.

It turns out that the current coach ran at Rutgers. He informed me that he was loathe to put my record up since the current one was full electronic timed. So I asked him to look at it a different way. If he had known my time would he take it down for a FET 1/2 second slower? I left it at that so I don’t know if it is recognized or not.

Maybe he reads these boards and this message will shame him into giving me my due. In any case in my senior year I never lost a head to head race and was never behind in any of them. If I had any competition to push me faster I would have run better times. I ran head to head with a straight up 400m runner with me going over hurdles and ran a full 1.5 s seconds better than my best meet time. I’m sure if I ran against the current FET holder, both in our prime, I would smoke him.

i didn’t go to the states because in my last race we were seeded according to self reported best times. I ended up in the second to last heat. Several people in the last heat I know BSed their times to get into it. I knew because I followed the event statewide. Any way, at the start of my heat a diving rain started and we ran through this torrential cloud bust. I won the heat but so many hurdles were obliterated that it took 15 minutes to setup again including having to replace a few broken ones. By the time the last heat was ready the rain stopped. I missed state qualifier by 1/10th of a second. I was heart broken and pissed especially given I knew I deserved to be in that last heat.

One of my fondest memories was getting smoked in the 4x400 relay by Dennis Mitchell. He was a sophomore and literally took everyone’s breath away during his 400m race. Fastest I’ve ever seen in person. Also saw Carol Lewis compete in girls long jump. She was phenomenal.

Last edited:
Agree but I admit I am biased and think Sunset Valley when the leaves turn colors in the fall. It is incredibly beautiful.
One of my proudest moments was actually my son’s moment. 2 years ago I went with him and his 2 best friends to play Berkshire. On the 12th hole he got a hole in one , witnessed by his dad and 2 best friends. I’ve never shot a hole in one and despite his, he didn’t break 100. Still, he was so happy!

Reactions: wisr01
One of my proudest moments was actually my son’s moment. 2 years ago I went with him and his 2 best friends to play Berkshire. On the 12th hole he got a hole in one , witnessed by his dad and 2 best friends. I’ve never shot a hole in one and despite his, he didn’t break 100. Still, he was so happy!
That is awesome for him and even better for you dad!!!!!!!

Reactions: JRZEER
I was on a travel hockey team as a kid/teenager. I played goalie since Brodeur was my idol growing up I had to emulate his puck handling ability. I scored 4 goals as a Goalie throughout my years of playing travel hockey. I was pretty good but there was never a chance for anything in college since I was a 5'6 goalie so the statistics really didn't matter.

I was on a travel hockey team as a kid/teenager. I played goalie since Brodeur was my idol growing up I had to emulate his puck handling ability. I scored 4 goals as a Goalie throughout my years of playing travel hockey. I was pretty good but there was never a chance for anything in college since I was a 5'6 goalie so the statistics really didn't matter.
Whoa that's awesome. Did you actually shoot on all four of those goals or were some credited to you as the last player to touch the puck?

Thanksgiving Day 1982 Montclair HS vs. Passaic HS. I kicked two extra points to help the Mounties win the game 14-13 against a Passaic team lead by Craig "Ironhead" Heyward. We had some great players like Brandy Wells (Notre Dame) and Quintus McDonald (Penn State, Colts) but Heyward was a football beast in every sense of the word. Passaic also had Tyrone Stowe (RU, Steelers). Heyward had 2 TDs and 140 yds rushing at halftime and everybody thought they would blow us out in the 2nd half after going up 13-0 with two TDs called back on penalties. Heyward never left the field as he was their RB, LB, K, P, KR, PR. Passaic was nationally ranked and they brought busloads of trash talking fans that sat right in the middle of our fans. Coach Fortunato made some good defensive adjustments and we finally got some offense together in the 2nd half with my extra point late in the 4th quarter proving to be the winning score.

Reactions: RutHut and JDNB
Colbert - I was at your game - lol My friend had a cousin that played for Union. My high school (Johnson Regional - Clark) lost to Union the year before 1-0 in the 1973 County final. Bob Hughes pitched a 1 or 2 hitter for Union.

My claim to fame - Watchung Conference and Union County champ in the javelin. The meets were held at Williams Field Elizabeth.
In 1973 we lost to Johnson 2-1 in the second round. I think you guys had a big right hander named Schwankert or something like that.

P.S. I played 1B (what else) for St. Pats

UCLA vs Syracuse.

They had just scored to make it SU 13 vs UCLA 7 in 4th Quarter.

Onside kick team I was along the left sideline. UCLA had a left footed kicker. He looked right me.
I knew the rules and the KO was short and I moved up and it bounced up into my arms. I kept on running and it was a 48 yard KO return for a TD.

Final Score; Syracuse 20 vs UCLA 7.

20 + years later it was called oneof the Top 10 plays in Syracuse Football History.
THAT is a tough one to top!!!

Reactions: RUMountie
Played LL back in Belleville circa 1958 ( i was 11). I was playing infield when my coach noticed I had a good arm. He tried me out as a pitcher. I had a good fastball and maybe some sort of natural slider (don't know). Anyway, my first start we won 10-1.

I pitched a NO HITTER... but walked 4 in a row (wild man) and hit one kid in the head (he was ok).

The coach gave me the ball from the game...and called my father. He told him that thrown a no hitter...and struck out 12 -14 (?).

My father said " and how does that help him with his academics" (think he was still upset about the Dodgers moving to LA).

MO
PS The next time we played the same team I was pitching. My head had grown so I was expecting a similar result. I think the other team scored 7 runs in the first inning. As Casey used to say "that's baseball".
Played LL in Belleville as well! A bit later than you, mid 70s.
Had a similar memory as you. It was 1976, and for years I played either first or second base in LL. Toward the end of the year my coach wanted me to pitch one day at practice (we practiced at “The Hole” in Branch Brook Park. He liked what he saw in my pitching, as I had really good control.
So he decides to have me pitch a game. I still remember him reminding me to be ready to field after each pitch. I thought, “yeah, ok!” First kid up hits a single right through my legs. After that single though I settled down and ended up striking out 9 kids in my LL pitching debut!

Reactions: RutgersMO
Won a stuffed animal after finishing first in my heat at the boardwalk

clown-balloon-water-game-big.jpg

Played LL in Belleville as well! A bit later than you, mid 70s.
Had a similar memory as you. It was 1976, and for years I played either first or second base in LL. Toward the end of the year my coach wanted me to pitch one day at practice (we practiced at “The Hole” in Branch Brook Park. He liked what he saw in my pitching, as I had really good control.
So he decides to have me pitch a game. I still remember him reminding me to be ready to field after each pitch. I thought, “yeah, ok!” First kid up hits a single right through my legs. After that single though I settled down and ended up striking out 9 kids in my LL pitching debut!

Used to go sledding in Branch Brook park ? : Dead Man's Hill (seems like the area was up hill from New Street on Belleville Ave.).

Do you know New St. (I lived at 54 New St...4 houses from the school)? In those days PS 8 was K-8. Opposite / just past the Boys entrance was a street we also used for sledding that T'ed into High Street. Steep hill and made for great sledding / memories.

MO

Last edited:
Reactions: MURF87
Used to go sledding in Branch Brook park ? : Dead Man's Hill.

Do you know New St. (I lived at 54 New St...4 houses from the school)? In those days PS * was K-8. Opposite / just past the Boys entrance was a street we also used for sledding that T'ed into High Street. Steep hill and made for great sledding / memories.

MO
MO,
Yes, Dead Man’s Hill! I lived on Smith Street so that hill was a short walk across Union Ave from my house. Great sledding for sure!
Also, my cousin lived on New Street, between Holmes and Joralemon! I didn’t go to No. 8 school, went to St. Peter’s.
And to continue in the spirit of this thread, I scored 14 points in a sixth grade tournament game at St. Valentines.

Reactions: RutgersMO
Adult softball league quarterfinals. I am up last inning down one. My buddy comes over to me and says look at the hole the are giving you between first and second. Hit a low liner into right field 2 runs score we win.

next up semi finals.

I am playing second base and dive to my right for the ball. It took a bad hop and all I feel is blood. We were only playing with 9 and if I can’t go we will get destroyed. Because it is the semis we had 2 umps, including the infield ump standing next to me. He orders me off the field. Thank God for my wife and mom. Tissues, ice packs etc etc. I am able to come right back. Minute I get on the field I feel more blood. Every time the ump wasn’t looking I wipe my nose with my glove. We end up winning the game.
During the finals got two hits and we won 11-3.

Still have the bloody glove (this was pre OJ trial)

I was RDE at Roosevelt Stadium when the opposing QB broke free and ran up the left sideline for a 30yd gainer. To add insult to injury their huge LT crushed me on a block as I chased downfield. In anger and embarrassment I made him pay all day. They tried a student body left pitch to the running back. Got him for 15yd loss. Their offense did nothing the rest of the way. Dickinson 28 Ferris 0

MO,
Yes, Dead Man’s Hill! I lived on Smith Street so that hill was a short walk across Union Ave from my house. Great sledding for sure!
Also, my cousin lived on New Street, between Holmes and Joralemon! I didn’t go to No. 8 school, went to St. Peter’s.
And to continue in the spirit of this thread, I scored 14 points in a sixth grade tournament game at St. Valentines.

I was the 13th man on a 13 man b-ball team in 8th grade. 4'9" point guard. Could only dribble to my right. Anyway we were playing PS #5 and they had some kid named Henry- who was 6'1" and could sky. His coach kept telling him "get up there Henry...GET UP".

I only got into 1 game...and it was the last minute of the game vs PS #5. Somehow I was dribbling and moving up the court. I think i was going to pass (unlike me in college...would NEVER has passed) ....but I tried to pass the ball and got fouled (our coach told us if you're going for foul someone "HACK THE BASTARD"....he was a great humanitarian/ strategist).

I was going to get two FT's. I was nervous even thought the game wasn't on the line: we had it salted away or I wouldn't be playing. I took my first shot and it seemed to circle the basket forever....sort of like water swirling / draining as it sinks into oblivion. Finally the ball lost enough energy and fell through the net. My teammates cheered....and I felt great. The second shot was nothing but net.

Great memories...

Drop me a line sometime (conversation). Was there a bowling alley about 1 block from New Street on Belleville Ave. when you lived there? Can't remember it's name but it was 8 lanes...and I rolled my first 200 there.

MO

I once hit for the cycle during one of my Babe Ruth league games at Fords Park. That's about all I have to brag about.
That makes you older than 66. My Dad was the last president of the Fords Babe Ruth League.
It was absorbed by the Fords-Clara Barton Boys Baseball League. My brother played Babe Ruth but I played in the FCBBBL once past the Little League age. FCBBBL was not part of the actual Little League organization.
My personal highlight has to be my only hole in one. Mercer Oaks 128 yards plunked it in on the fly; surprised it didn't jump out.

4 Empty Netters
That's awesome, I worked at a rink for 10 years and never even saw a goalie come close to scoring. There was a guy in our adult league that could definitely do it, but was never able to take a chance before I had to kick him out of the league.

Completed Disney Marathon in under 5 hours.

Little League. Age 12. Hit 8 home runs in 4 games. Broken hand ended season prematurely. Career ended when baseball's began to look like peas instead of beach balls.

UCLA vs Syracuse.

They had just scored to make it SU 13 vs UCLA 7 in 4th Quarter.

Onside kick team I was along the left sideline. UCLA had a left footed kicker. He looked right me.
I knew the rules and the KO was short and I moved up and it bounced up into my arms. I kept on running and it was a 48 yard KO return for a TD.

Final Score; Syracuse 20 vs UCLA 7.

20 + years later it was called oneof the Top 10 plays in Syracuse Football History.

I don't like cuse football whatsoever but I think @BigWill is awesome; thanks for sharing this.

Joe P.

First time I won a match in a BJJ tournament

Armbar from scarf hold - I was shocked when my opponent tapped.

In front of my family and friends. My boys were going crazy.

Reactions: newell138
That makes you older than 66. My Dad was the last president of the Fords Babe Ruth League.
It was absorbed by the Fords-Clara Barton Boys Baseball League. My brother played Babe Ruth but I played in the FCBBBL once past the Little League age. FCBBBL was not part of the actual Little League organization.
My personal highlight has to be my only hole in one. Mercer Oaks 128 yards plunked it in on the fly; surprised it didn't jump out.

Ok...whatever they called it. I generically call it Babe Ruth but now that you mention it, FCBBL rings a bell. We also played games over in Edison behind Clara Barton school. This was around '81/'82

The rain up here reminds me of one unusual play in High School.

Playing in a Nor'easter in Boston. Field total mud and small lakes. Driving rain and wind.

I am our teams punter. I catch snap, punt the ball, as I punt the ball one of my blockers backs into me and I kick him right in the butt. Balls goes straight up into the air. I catch the punt at just about the same place I had punted it. Ran for a first down. Officials had to huddle, but they allowed the punt/catch/run.

I had some big moments in HS, being one of only 35 runners in the entire country to qualify for Foot Locker Nationals in XC was likely the biggest and my time 40 years later at Van Cortlandt park is still one of the 20 or 30 fastest ever run by a NJ athlete.
Some great moments followed at RU but my fondest was when I was about 37 years old and I won the Midland Far Hills 5K. My dad who was an All American in the 400 meters himself and part of a national championship 4x440 never missed a race from the time I was 8 years old and this was my last race before he died. To see him cheering me on as I was finishing knowing he only had so much time left was something I will never forget

I played 2-man beach volleyball for 11 years in tournaments in NJ. It was part of Jersey Shore Volleyball Association. I played 2.5 years in the Pro division.

My sophomore year of HS we placed first in League and County Relays. My Senior year we won Sprint Medley( I think it was league relays) and I ran the 400 meter leg at 51.2. I finished my season with PRs in the 100 meter at 11.0, 200 meter at 22.9, 400 meter at 52.5, my cross country 5k PR time was 19:20 and we qualified for Meet of Champions, Indoor Track I PR in the 800m at 2:15( well first time running actually). I also PR my bench press to 320( 2 -3reps) in college.

I recall that happening to Tom Seaver too. How long before you get over something like that?
Still got the no hitter so I was pretty happy but when you thought about perfect game you did have a sense of disappointment. I was a sophomore and thought I would throw another one. Never did.

Two time winner of the Mountain Man Biathlon. I would have won a third but I got a flat while leading, fixed it and finished fourth.

Two time NJ state mountain biking champ.

Three time champion in our outdoor, summer, volleyball league. One of those championships was played alongside my son.

Best running race was winning the Muddy Marathon at Craigmeir Ski area. For those not familiar with The Muddy, it was basically a brutal survival race cut through and over some of the most wicked terrain you would never think of running over. The race was run to honor my mother who would soon after succumb to emphysema.

ADVERTISEMENT