ADVERTISEMENT

OT: YOUR Top 5 Comedy Movies Ever.

For the most part every previous post mentions one of my votes with the exception of Hollywood Knights.....I cannot believe that nobody mentioned that classic.
The punch has a real wang to it.

I’m an “oldie but goodie” type of guy. Not sure if these are really my best but first to come to mind:

It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Sleeper (Woody Allen)
Topper
The Pink Panther / Shot in the Dark (Peter Sellers) - tie
Duck Soup

Also can’t get enough of Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Marx brothers, and Woody Allen

I’m an “oldie but goodie” type of guy. Not sure if these are really my best but first to come to mind:

It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Sleeper (Woody Allen)
Topper
The Pink Panther / Shot in the Dark (Peter Sellers) - tie
Duck Soup

Also can’t get enough of Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Marx brothers, and Woody Allen

Ah sorry......exceeding the limit but got to add “Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation” (James Stewart)
Please no obvious comments here!😂

Nobody mentioned Bachelor Party? You can’t find a more classic pure comedy.

Spies Like Us gets an honorable mention. Not sure if I saw Ghostbusters mentioned though I don’t consider that a pure comedy just a great classic film.

The out of towners original
Heartbreak kid. Original
The Sting
Airplane
Abbott and Costello meets Frankenstein
Forgot that one.
Charles Grodin, Eddie Albert and an unbelievably beautiful Cybil Shepard (22 years old then).
On Youtube for anyone who wants to see it.

The original was so good and the remake was unwatchable.
Young Frankenstein
Mr Deeds with John Tuturro as the butler (probably my favorite actor).
Shaun of the Dead
Holy Grail

The original was so good and the remake was unwatchable.
Young Frankenstein
Mr Deeds with John Tuturro as the butler (probably my favorite actor).
Shaun of the Dead
Holy Grail

Remakes of comedies rarely work. The In Laws, The Heartbreak Kid, Arthur, Ghostbusters, The Pink Panther, Bad News Bears were all horrific.
The only one that was a success was Heaven Can Wait which was the remake of an old Robert Montgomery/Claude Rains movie Here Comes Mr. Jordan. There might be others but I can't think of them offhand.

Blame it on Rio is a good under the radar movie with Michael Caine and a 22 year old pre-surgery Demi Moore.

Edit: Demi doesn't appear in the trailer. She plays Michael Caine's daughter.

The Sting
My Cousin Vinny
Trading Places
A&C meets Frankenstein
Meet the Parents
Airplane
Home Alone
Uncle Buck
Blazing Saddles
Heartbreak Kid
Overboard
Fortune Cookie
Odd Couple
Pink Panther
Shot in the Dark
Hangover
Angel in my pocket
Bringing up baby
Eddie. Murphy Nutty Professor

Last edited:
Reactions: Antnee79 and Goku
Wedding Crashers
Love Mad, Mad, Mad World
Caddyshack
My Cousin Vinny.

Last edited:
Caddyshack
My Cousin Vinny
Along Came Polly
There’s Something About Mary
Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Austin Powers and Naked Gun all had me rolling in the theaters. American Pie and Harold and Kumar had me rolling at home watching for the first time on DVD. Not sure if any of these are definites in my top 5, but certainly hilarious on first takes.

Ferris Bueller was a favorite all around movie when I was younger, as was Christmas Story, though again not sure if they are still in my top 5.

Rushmore for sure though for me.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Remakes of comedies rarely work. The In Laws, The Heartbreak Kid, Arthur, Ghostbusters, The Pink Panther, Bad News Bears were all horrific.
The only one that was a success was Heaven Can Wait which was the remake of an old Robert Montgomery/Claude Rains movie Here Comes Mr. Jordan. There might be others but I can't think of them offhand.
Criminently! I forgot "The In-Laws." Maybe my favorite comedy ever! But the original. Remake was stupid. Alan Arkin and Peter Falk are unbelievably good. Strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

And Colbert, I agree with you 100% on all points. Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty was a great remake. The rest of the remakes were bad to awful. Heartbreak Kid remake was terrible.

Have a great Christmas.

Because of the thread below, would be interesting to see your Top 5 Comedy movies...

GO.

Top 5
Animal House
What About Bob
Odd Couple
The Producers (1967)
Back To The Future (Part 1)

Honorable Mention:
Monty Python's Holy Grail
The Groove Tube
Tootsie
My Cousin Vinnie
Horse Feathers
Ghostbusters
The Kentucky Fried Movie
Vacation
Erasehead (May not be a comedy...but the the characters are whacky...dark and funny)
The Sons of the Desert
Major League
Big
Dr. Strangelove
Trading Places
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Blues Brothers
The Waterboy
The Graduate
Sleeper
Alice in Wonerland (Disney)

TV Mentions
Honeymooners (the original series- not the Miami Based follow up)
Seinfeld
Big Bang Theory
Sgt. Bilko_You'll Never Get Rich (The Phil Slivers Show)
The Adventures of Doby Gillis (WORK!...Tuesday Weld👀)
SCTV (way better than SNL...any cast...any season)
Your Show of Shows (Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, Howard Morris, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Doc Simon)

MO

Last edited:
Reactions: beaced
Vegas Vacation. Brings back memories of the very first time we went to Vegas

No Order

Young Frankenstein
Withnail and I
Holy Grail
The Comittments
In God We Trust

Last edited:
Fletch
This is the End
Wedding Crashers
The Hangover
Yes Man, Liar Liar, or pretty much any Jim Carrey movie.

Most of the older ones which I couldn't remember anyhow.
The Great Outdoors
Dragnet
Summer Rental
Liar Liar
Pet Detective
Smokey and the Bandit
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop 1
Big
It's a Mad Mad World
Bruce Almighty

Car Wash
Uptown Saturday Night
Stir Crazy
Revenge of the Nerds
Weird Science

I read through this whole thread and you fellas really like some corny stuff lol

Top 5
Animal House
What About Bob
Odd Couple
The Producers (1967)
Back To The Future (Part 1)

Honorable Mention:
Monty Python's Holy Grail
The Groove Tube
Tootsie
My Cousin Vinnie
Horse Feathers
Ghostbusters
The Kentucky Fried Movie
Vacation
Erasehead (May not be a comedy...but the the characters are whacky...dark and funny)
The Sons of the Desert
Major League
Big
Dr. Strangelove
Trading Places
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Blues Brothers
The Waterboy
The Graduate
Sleeper

TV Mentions
Honeymooners (the original series- not the Miami Based follow up)
Seinfeld
Big Bang Theory
Sgt. Bilko_You'll Never Get Rich (The Phil Slivers Show)
The Adventures of Doby Gillis (WORK!...Tuesday Weld👀)
SCTV (way better than SNL...any cast...any season)
Your Show of Shows (Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, Howard Morris, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Doc Simon)

MO

Mo,
Great call on Groove Tube and Kentucky Fried Movie. A lot great young comics in both before they were famous.
I love the opening with Curtis Mayfield’s “Move On Up” playing in the background.

• Love
Reactions: RutgersMO
Anchorman 2
Get Hard
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
History of thr World Part 1
Better Off Dead

Mo,
Great call on Groove Tube and Kentucky Fried Movie. A lot great young comics in both before they were famous.
I love the opening with Curtis Mayfield’s “Move On Up” playing in the background.

Groove Tube came out about 1974. Must have seen it 10 times in the theaters back then. Now I have the DVD and loved the Sexual Olympics, Brown 25, Chevy Chase in the 4 leaf clover and KOKO THE CLOWN - etc. I think that Shapiro who wrote this and was one of influences on SNL / SCTV : which both parodied a day in the life of TV (and still do to some degree).

Kentucky Fried Movie came out about a year or two later: Loved the Catholic Girls Gone Wild ...the shower scene.
Also loved the "Samuel L. Bronkowitz Presents" (the voice was spot on for drama, action...and funny): "Cleopatra Schwartz" as a coming attraction. She's a hot black radical (think Angela Davis meets Pam Grier meets Patty Hearst ) as the gun toting radical....and her man, an Ultra Orthodox Jewish Rabbi with black hat / payos reading the Torah....Freaking Classic!

MO

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
There are funny comedies and then there are “I laughed so hard the first time I watched it that I couldn’t breathe” movies. Caddy Shack, Animal House, Stripes, Trading Places, Blazing Saddles, History of the World (Part I), Revenge of the Nerds, Fletch, Coming to America, Back to School, Spaceballs, Old School, Just Friends, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, etc. are all hilarious movies that I’ll watch over and over and over again. But the ones that made me laugh until my stomach hurt are:

1. Naked Gun (original)
2. Airplane
3. There’s Something About Mary

And that’s it. I still can’t believe Matt Dillon was not nominated for an academy award for the latter.

Better Off Dead is a dark comedy many people don’t get but those of us who do love it. Still not in the laugh til I can’t breathe category though.

Missing from everyone’s list is one of the funniest movies of all time - “My Favorite Year”.

Reactions: zappaa
Groove Tube came out about 1974. Must have seen it 10 times in the theaters back then. Now I have the DVD and loved the Sexual Olympics, Brown 25, Chevy Chase in the 4 leaf clover and KOKO THE CLOWN - etc. I think that Shapiro who wrote this and was one of influences on SNL / SCTV : which both parodied a day in the life of TV (and still do to some degree).

Kentucky Fried Movie came out about a year or two later: Loved the Catholic Girls Gone Wild ...the shower scene.
Also loved the "Samuel L. Bronkowitz Presents" (the voice was spot on for drama, action...and funny): "Cleopatra Schwartz" as a coming attractions. She's a hot black radical (think Angela Davis meets Pam Grier meets Patty Hearst ) as the gun toting radical....and her man, an Ultra Orthodox Jewish Rabbi with black hat / payos reading the Torah....Freaking Classic!

MO

I think that at least 75% of this board never heard of this movies. Richard Belzer was in one them wasn’t he?

I think that at least 75% of this board never heard of this movies. Richard Belzer was in one them wasn’t he?
He was in Groove Tube; that and KFM didn't make my list because they weren't as consistently funny as the ones on my list, to me. I thought Airplane! by the same Zucker/ZuckerAbrahams crew that did KFM, was much funnier.

ADVERTISEMENT