ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Zappaa. they just gave a great stat about your dad on the Yankee game

Yankee backup C Charlie Silvera appeared in 14 games in 1955 and 7 in 1956. Charlie died about a year ago, at age 95.

The last guy to catch both games of a double-header for the Yankees was Bob Geren in the mid Eighties.
I think they said it was 1989. However that is a long time regardless. Weird stat because teams don’t play doubleheader’s anymore. This year is an outlier.

Back in the day, most teams played Sunday doubleheaders and were generally off on Monday. Then the owners realized they could make more money--counting radio and TV rights along with attendance and concession sales--if they played two single games instead. The added revenue would far offset he costs involved in playing two games.

It was nothing more than Casey not willing to play a game without him if he was available.
Keep in mind, once dad was established he’d beg Casey to play Silvera in the second game, “for Christ sakes Casey, let Charlie catch the second game”
Casey would respond with “get you rest my man”

In the DiMaggio biography by Cramer (a great read), supposedly Joe D let a 19 year old Yogi know that he was displeased with Yogi sitting out the second game of a double header on a 98 degree day, a game that the Yankees lost. Yogi took it to heart and refused to sit out second games. Apparently, Joe D felt that a worn out Yogi gave the Yankees the best chance to win, which is a tremendous compliment.

Great stat!! Heard it as well during the broadcast as they were having a great conversation about Yogi. They said that with the Yogi-isms and personality we sometimes forget that he was an unbelievable baseball player. The stats he put up and the championships. Either Kay or Singleton said something along the lines of he didn’t get into the Hall of Fame for his Yogi-isms.

Last edited:
Yankee backup C Charlie Silvera appeared in 14 games in 1955 and 7 in 1956. Charlie died about a year ago, at age 95.
Despite having played in only one WS game,Charlie still had more rings than has Jeter.
The one game he played-in 1949-was because Stengel didn't think that Yogi could hit Dodger lefty Preacher Roe.

I should add that Yogi caught all 22 innings of the game at Tiger Stadium on June 24,1962,during which Phil Rizzuto kept complaining of how hungry he was.

Wow they said the same thing during the Mets Game 😉
Total coincidence I'm sure!
uhOOzoi.gif

It was nothing more than Casey not willing to play a game without him if he was available.
Keep in mind, once dad was established he’d beg Casey to play Silvera in the second game, “for Christ sakes Casey, let Charlie catch the second game”
Casey would respond with “get you rest my man”
You have to wonder just how good was Charlie?
Imagine making it to the majors, Yankees no less, and pretty much making fewer appearances than the batboy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT