ADVERTISEMENT

OTB podcast with Brad Wachtel: Rutgers needs one more win

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

its likely we dont but its better to just win

bac - if we lose our next three, to Nebraska, Minnesota, and the first-round B1G game, you don't feel that we'd be excluded, or at the very least be sweating it out?

Not saying I think that will happen (I think we'll get at least one more in the W column)

we might sweat but look at what the rest of the bubble has done....our wins on our resume dwarf what most of the bottom of the bubble has acheived. Again I have been firm I am not called RU a lock yet but its very very likely they are dancing now matter what at this point. Nebraska would be a bad loss for sure and the only one for Rutgers this season. Minnesota and the Big 10 tourney losses would be Q1s. I think we need like 1/4 of a win at this point.

I would just like a comfort level which means beating Nebraska

we might sweat but look at what the rest of the bubble has done....our wins on our resume dwarf what most of the bottom of the bubble has acheived. Again I have been firm I am not called RU a lock yet but its very very likely they are dancing now matter what at this point. Nebraska would be a bad loss for sure and the only one for Rutgers this season. Minnesota and the Big 10 tourney losses would be Q1s. I think we need like 1/4 of a win at this point.

I agree. Most bubble teams don’t have anywhere near the resume we have. Not to mention that our SOS is very, very strong. Even if we lose out we’re probably still in but it would be a nail biter. Win any of our remaining games and we can pop the champagne corks.

I wouldn't be feeling great if we lost 3 in a row. Especially since all 3 games will be versus the bottom half of the league. I think we would still have a strong case to get in, but man that would really be uncomfortable.

Honestly - my hopes are much higher. My hope is that Ron uses that Indiana game to break out of his slump. His shooting + Geo scoring opens up the whole offense and this team finds itself again just at the right time of the year.

No nail biters please- just get at least one more. Never want to show a downward trend to close the season to the committee and take a chance that other teams get hot down the stretch.

I think best chance is minnesota. They're pathetic right now
Not true.Minnesota has Carr who is a top tier B1G player along with a center that can score inside and from 3 point line.Nebraska stinks and will play another game on Saturday prior to Rutgers on Monday.

Nebraska has some blowouts over the course of their schedule, but a lot of close losses too. Now, I didn't watch their games so they could have made it look closer with garbage time points, but I doubt that was always the case.

Not true.Minnesota has Carr who is a top tier B1G player along with a center that can score inside and from 3 point line.Nebraska stinks and will play another game on Saturday prior to Rutgers on Monday.
I just think we match up really well with minnesota. I think back to what the nebraska game was like last year and it gives me a headache

One of our big problems against Minnesota was Robbins. He was in a boot and out with an ankle sprain against NW. His health will have an impact on our chances.

Reactions: shields
Nebraska has some blowouts over the course of their schedule, but a lot of close losses too. Now, I didn't watch their games so they could have made it look closer with garbage time points, but I doubt that was always the case.

Trying to carve out garbage time.... with 2 minutes left in regulation their conference games:
@Illinois - down 21
PSU - down 5
Purdue - down 17
@Maryland - down 12
@Maryland - down 12
@PSU - up 3
Illinois - up 4

Wisconsin - down 11
@Minnesota - down 18
@MSU - down 10
Indiana - down 2
MSU - down 6

@OSU - down 39
Michigan - down 8
@Wisconsin - down 13

So, they had 5 games that were within two possessions at the 2 minute mark, and they won just one of those (@PSU). The Illinois game where they were up 4 ended up as a loss in OT. Notably, 4 of those 5 were home... and they were also within 8 of Michigan with 2 min to go at home, too.

Reactions: RUPete
Ideally we get to the 7 or 10 line. 8/9 seed means zags or baylor in round 2. Now, im not complaining an ncaa bid is great but if im selfish give me a 7 bid or 10 bids. 6 would be great but that would require beating nebraska and minny + 2 at B1G tourney imo

Reactions: shields
Trying to carve out garbage time.... with 2 minutes left in regulation their conference games:
@Illinois - down 21
PSU - down 5
Purdue - down 17
@Maryland - down 12
@Maryland - down 12
@PSU - up 3
Illinois - up 4

Wisconsin - down 11
@Minnesota - down 18
@MSU - down 10
Indiana - down 2
MSU - down 6

@OSU - down 39
Michigan - down 8
@Wisconsin - down 13

So, they had 5 games that were within two possessions at the 2 minute mark, and they won just one of those (@PSU). The Illinois game where they were up 4 ended up as a loss in OT. Notably, 4 of those 5 were home... and they were also within 8 of Michigan with 2 min to go at home, too.
Damn dude! Thanks for doing the research on that. So in the end, it will be a tough league road game.

Amazing to me that some RU fans think we don’t need to beat Nebraska to get in. Our previous conference tournament history is not encouraging.
To be fair, I think we make it regardless... I just don’t want to give anyone an excuse to not let it happen this time

To be fair, I think we make it regardless... I just don’t want to give anyone an excuse to not let it happen this time
Based on Geo’s quotes in the Politi column, the team seems to be in a good frame of mind heading into these last two games. I’m hoping that getting one of those must win games at home will lift the weight off them and loosen up the team. We’ll see.

We should be in regardless in my opinion. I think the committee will actually favor us after not being able to snap the skid last year. Bubble teams will likely take some l's and our resume will be tough to beat.

Based on Geo’s quotes in the Politi column, the team seems to be in a good frame of mind heading into these last two games. I’m hoping that getting one of those must win games at home will lift the weight off them and loosen up the team. We’ll see.

Both Neb and MN games are on the road.

9 win B1G team is in this year everyone. Would love to see the research done by these posters saying we need another win. Teams on the bubble that have 3 less conf wins than us. No team from any other conference will have a more impressive resume. It’s over, done, we’re in.

Completely agree.

I think beating Nebraska locks it up. Guarantees no worse than .500 in B1G play and avoids any Q3/Q4 losses for the season. Of course being Rutgers, nothing is ever easy and I can see us blowing the Nebraska game and needing to beat Minnesota.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Let's just focus on playing well and winning the next two games because we should rather than because we need to. The first round conference tournament game could be the most difficult match up of the three so even more incentive to win the next two to improve on positioning for that. I mean if we don't win another who is feeling good about the tournament anyway?

was on a site yesterday that had us 80% in with 0 more wins. 99+% with one more. so let's get 2 or 3 more and get off the damn 8/9 line

ADVERTISEMENT