ADVERTISEMENT

Our Defense Is Becoming Elite

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
This team plays such hard, active, man-to-man defense, as well as superb help defense, augmented by boxing out so well on the boards, that it's moving into elite territory, IMHO. It also helps that we have such great guard depth with four very long players at guard/small forward, who make it hard for opposing guards to get off easy treys, plus our two smaller, but in-your-face buzzsaw guard defenders, Young and Mathis. And Myles as the enforcer/shot-blocker in the back, with Carter also playing strong minutes on defense in the post.

Apart from the early season losses to SBU (80), MSU (77) and Pitt (72) when we were finding our way a bit as a team and a defense, we've given up the following points against quality teams: 65 (WI), 48 (SHU), 62 (NE), 61 (PSU), 54 (IL), and 50 (IU). That's off-the-charts defense, exemplified by holding B1G teams to 36% from the field, overall, and 25% from three. When teams play great defense, they're always in every game, like we are, and if we can get just enough offense, we'll win many of these games, like we have been. Loving this defense.

https://static.scarletknights.com/c...227.148097587.1579147389-840983176.1572924198

Reminds me of the long defenders of the late 90’s
Championship Bulls Jordan, Pippen, Harper
Baker, McConnell, Harper

Reactions: RU848789
Very well said, #s. I love defense and this team defends better than any RU team I've seen.

The funny thing is, after pretty much every game, seeing opposing fans write off their poor shooting performance. There's a constant there. Wonder how long it'll take them to figure it out.

Reminds me of the long defenders of the late 90’s
Championship Bulls Jordan, Pippen, Harper
Baker, McConnell, Harper

Yep and also reminds me of some of the long, bruising defenders John Chaney always seemed to have at Temple back in the day.

Reactions: RW90
Piekell is a Calhoun disciple as all know... a former tough guard on some very very good UConn clubs... then takes little Stoney Brook U to the Dance... face it he is a very good coach ... a leader who remains humble and I believe these young men get it now.

Reactions: Rutgers8086
This team plays such hard, active, man-to-man defense, as well as superb help defense, augmented by boxing out so well on the boards, that it's moving into elite territory, IMHO. It also helps that we have such great guard depth with four very long players at guard/small forward, who make it hard for opposing guards to get off easy treys, plus our two smaller, but in-your-face buzzsaw guard defenders, Young and Mathis. And Myles as the enforcer/shot-blocker in the back, with Carter also playing strong minutes on defense in the post.

Apart from the early season losses to SBU (80), MSU (77) and Pitt (72) when we were finding our way a bit as a team and a defense, we've given up the following points against quality teams: 65 (WI), 48 (SHU), 62 (NE), 61 (PSU), 54 (IL), and 50 (IU). That's off-the-charts defense, exemplified by holding B1G teams to 36% from the field, overall, and 25% from three. When teams play great defense, they're always in every game, like we are, and if we can get just enough offense, we'll win many of these games, like we have been. Loving this defense.

https://static.scarletknights.com/c...227.148097587.1579147389-840983176.1572924198
This defensive is elite and defense travels. We are actually better equipped than most B1G teams to win on the road since we don't rely on great outside shooting to win games anyway. I expect us to win a couple road games still and finish near the top of the conference. This. Team. Is. Good.

We're holding Big Ten opponents to 24% on three-pointers. That is very much unsustainable but **** it we've earned some luck going our way.

I gave too much credit to Jay young in the past. I still want him as our HC in waiting if pikiell ever leaves because he is a pikiell clone/disciple but pikiell gets all the credit now.

Reactions: Scangg
During the preseason, Pikiell mentioned time and time again the defense he wanted wasn't there.

It's there now.
Yeah, I remember that. Really nice to see it all coming together and seeing the "grimaces of joy" on the faces of the RU players executing such great defense. I'm 3 rows from the floor and get to see the guys pretty close up and you can just see the pride these guys take in their defense.

I agree 100%. The defensive rotation last night was a thing of beauty. As soon as a player was leaving his man to help, another player was filling in behind him. Outstanding!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
last 2 games they got hurt on the offensive glass against illinois (probably was the main reason for the loss) and last night against indiana (they had some annoying ones where horrible 3pt shots bounced right to their guys under the rim...can't do much about that)

giving up offensive rebounds for 2nd chance points is a big basketball pet peave for me though

Reactions: Scangg
If someone told me preseason we'd be ranked 118th in adjusted offensive efficiency I'd put our NCAA chances at 0%.

last 2 games they got hurt on the offensive glass against illinois (probably was the main reason for the loss) and last night against indiana (they had some annoying ones where horrible 3pt shots bounced right to their guys under the rim...can't do much about that)

giving up offensive rebounds for 2nd chance points is a big basketball pet peave for me though

Illinois rebounded 33.3% of their misses
Indiana rebounded 26.2% of their misses

Illinois is 4th in the country with OREB
Indiana is 21st in the country with OREB

We were more than OK on the defensive glass the past 2 games, ESPECIALLY considering our opponent

Defense wins games. Offense determines by how much.
Not always the case.In the Illinois game Rutgers only scored 51 points which wasn't enough in a low scoring game.In other games it could be a shootout because teams are hitting 3 pointers.Individual matchups and where the game is played are determining factors on how games are won.

We're holding Big Ten opponents to 24% on three-pointers. That is very much unsustainable but **** it we've earned some luck going our way.
Also keep in mind that many shots as the shot clock is winding down tend to be from 3. How many times this year have we seen opposing guards chuck contested 3's as the clock is winding down? Combine that with the fact opposing guards just get worn down by the bodies we throw at them, many are shooting with tired legs. Agree that it is probably some luck but might not be as much as you would think.

Illinois rebounded 33.3% of their misses
Indiana rebounded 26.2% of their misses

Illinois is 4th in the country with OREB
Indiana is 21st in the country with OREB

We were more than OK on the defensive glass the past 2 games, ESPECIALLY considering our opponent
Great stats FIG. Combine that with Myles being on the bench most of Illinois game with monster Kofi in there and its hard to be overly concerned with our rebounding since it has been a strength

This article was posted elsewhere, but thought I'd add it in here, since this thread was all about RU's elite defense and this article really brings home the incredible strength of RU's defense. The article has excellent statistical analysis of RU being in the top 2 in the B1G in defending the three major play types in college basketball: ball screens, post ups, and isolations, as per the graphic below. And includes that we have just enough offense to be rated #1 in college hoops since 12/10. Heady stats. Let's hope the players read them and realize how important that defense is and double down on it. Iowa will obviously be a great test of that defense.

https://dylanburkhardt.substack.com...mpaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=twitter

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fef093685-4120-4e21-809b-4d91bc0d8f54_960x868.png

This defensive is elite and defense travels. We are actually better equipped than most B1G teams to win on the road since we don't rely on great outside shooting to win games anyway. I expect us to win a couple road games still and finish near the top of the conference. This. Team. Is. Good.

Would usually agree , but does our defense travel? I feel like The RAC fuels our defense quite a bit.

Our away effort on defense certainly doesn’t look the same as at home.

If Young and Mathis come out pressuring guards and getting in their face tomorrow it’ll be a great sign

Would usually agree , but does our defense travel? I feel like The RAC fuels our defense quite a bit.

Our away effort on defense certainly doesn’t look the same as at home.

If Young and Mathis come out pressuring guards and getting in their face tomorrow it’ll be a great sign

Jury is out, I believe. Yes, we played poorly against the Bonnies and gave up over 70 each to Pitt and MSU on the road, but we completely shut down Nebraska in our one road win and held the Illini to 54 in a very close loss. We've only given up 56 points per game against B1G teams (and SHU, but not counting cupcakes, Lafayette and Caldwell) since the MSU loss over 7 games (5 home and 2 away). I believe the NE/IL games are more indicative of how good our road defense will be, but I think the data set is too small for high confidence in that, which is why tomorrow's game is such an important indicator for the rest of the season, IMO.

Reactions: IBleedScarlet
Was watching Kansas earlier this evening. I believe they are # 1 D in the nation. They were strangling K State.

I don’t count the Pitt game as a bad defensive effort because we were literally getting fouls called because our defense was too good. That was infuriating.

ADVERTISEMENT