ADVERTISEMENT

Our offense needs to run through Paul…

KnightLife1994

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2021
Our offense IMO is at its best when Paul drives to the hoop and has the option to

Shoot
Dish to cliff
Or drive and dish

He is too big and imposing to not do that 2-3x more than he currently does and our offense is so much better when he does this.

He needs to step up and COMMAND the offense. Doesnt mean he needs to score 15-20 a game but he is our quarterback essentially. Im a football player at heart (with bball being a close 2nd love) and I equate this to a good QB running an RPO.

Last edited:
Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Reactions: MiloTalon13
How do I like this 10000x

I say it every game but PM needs to be more aggressive on offense. It open up much better when he is driving or backing players down. It limits Caleb trying to do similar which he tends to over dribble a bit. Hit Caleb for 2s from the foul line or wing…lobs or dishes to Cliff or wide open looks to Cam. Needs to happen

How do I like this 10000x

I say it every game but PM needs to be more aggressive on offense. It open up much better when he is driving or backing players down. It limits Caleb trying to do similar which he tends to over dribble a bit. Hit Caleb for 2s from the foul line or wing…lobs or dishes to Cliff or wide open looks to Cam. Needs to happen
Yup. Everything flows better. Cam is a spot shooter meaning he catches and shoots. Cliff will benefit with paul in the lane pulling guys on help D and if caleb is a trailer he can turn and dish at the foul line and then all of a sudden we have 2-3 guys crashing the O boards

Nope. If the offense actually ran through Paul we would never win. Agree that he should post more and either shoot or be a playmaker. But he is not RHJ. You cant consistently ask him to deliver like he is an Alpha....

Nope. If the offense actually ran through Paul we would never win. Agree that he should post more and either shoot or be a playmaker. But he is not RHJ. You cant consistently ask him to deliver like he is an Alpha....
Im not asking him to be RHJ, im asking him to facilitate the offense. Think steve nash - had a million assists

Our offense IMO is at its best when Paul drives to the hoop and has the option to

Shoot
Dish to cliff
Or drive and dish

He is too big and imposing to not do that 2-3x more than he currently does and our offense is so much better when he does this.

He needs to step up and COMMAND the offense. Doesnt mean he needs to score 15-20 a game but he is our quarterback essentially. Im a football player at heart (with bball being a close 2nd love) and I equate this to a good QB running an RPO.
Paul makes good things happen. When other people try to run the offense they either dribble into a turnover or take a horrible shot

Im not asking him to be RHJ, im asking him to facilitate the offense. Think steve nash - had a million assists
It's a fine line. I agree Paul needs to be more aggressive. But if that's the case and he becomes too ball dominant teams will just d him 1:1 and make him be a scorer. Paul is good, but I dont think he can just take over games consistently . If he could he would be going to the NBA next year.

This would also reduce the following:

- Caleb forcing contested fadeaways
- Cliff having to post up with his back to the basket having to create a shot
- Cam having to create his own shot
- hyatt and mag forcing shots
Spot on…just opens everything up for others including himself when the option is there.

Just look at the lob play to cliff tonight or the spin move he put in Hoggard for the easy basket

It's like you don't even get the entire concept of a point guard
I get it 100%. Considering I played the position. You want the Ball in Paul's hands most of the time either in the post, pick and roll etc and let him be the main decision maker to either shoot or pass to open up the offense. And I'm saying I agree that Paul should be more aggressive. But I think it has its limits. I don't think you want him with ball in his hands as much as you think. That type of ball dominance/decision making is reserved for like a Mark Jackson. An nba 1st rd pick

I get it 100%. Considering I played the position. You want the Ball in Paul's hands most of the time either in the post, pick and roll etc and let him be the main decision maker to either shoot or pass to open up the offense. And I'm saying I agree that Paul should be more aggressive. But I think it has its limits. I don't think you want him with ball in his hands as much as you think. That type of ball dominance/decision making is reserved for like a Mark Jackson. An nba 1st rd pick
You said if the offense ran through Paul we would never win. Now you're saying you want the ball in Paul's hand most of the time running the offense. That's a complete 180

You said if the offense ran through Paul we would never win. Now you're saying you want the ball in Paul's hand most of the time running the offense. That's a complete 180
No, the 1st thing I said is it's a fine line. Sure, be more aggressive. But not to the point where he is completely ball dominant . He is good/sometimes very good. But to have the game completely run through him is asking too much. He is not on that level where he can just control a game....He can do it in spurts....

Nope. If the offense actually ran through Paul we would never win
This was the first thing you said and now have been back tracking back to a reasonable take that most would agree with. What you're now describing is essentially running the offense through Paul which is the opposite of your initial point... which is what sparked the debate

This was the first thing you said and now have been back tracking back to a reasonable take that most would agree with. What you're now describing is essentially running the offense through Paul which is the opposite of your initial point... which is what sparked the debate
No the offense running through Paul would mean he probably becomes your primary decision maker double of what he is doing now. If that's the case, I stand by my original comment that we wont win. He is not good enough to carry that type of load. If he is let's say 5-10% more aggressive that works. But you cant just have Paul backing down his man all night in the post or pick and rolls or Isolation on almost every possession. He is not an all American..

You want the Ball in Paul's hands most of the time either in the post, pick and roll etc and let him be the main decision maker to either shoot or pass to open up the offense. And I'm saying I agree that Paul should be more aggressive.
You are all over the place in this thread. Stick with this take

Umm no. By you I meant "you". As in not me!! I've said the same thing in every post. Anyway, Whatever, just beat penn state!! Lol

No the offense running through Paul would mean he probably becomes your primary decision maker double of what he is doing now. If that's the case, I stand by my original comment that we wont win. He is not good enough to carry that type of load. If he is let's say 5-10% more aggressive that works. But you cant just have Paul backing down his man all night in the post or pick and rolls or Isolation on almost every possession. He is not an all American..
It doesnt need to be iso ball, he can even be off the ball and with off the ball screens and different movement you can get the ball in his hands driving to the hoop and let him facilitate. There are ways to get creative but when the ball is in his hands good things typically happen

It's a fine line. I agree Paul needs to be more aggressive. But if that's the case and he becomes too ball dominant teams will just d him 1:1 and make him be a scorer. Paul is good, but I dont think he can just take over games consistently .
The suggestion is that the offense run through him more where he can pass off to an open shooter or someone going to the basket
I think that is a good idea if we can get it to him right there

Shoot
Dish to cliff
Or drive and dish

I agree. The offense works best running through Paul and when Paul is putting pressure on the D in the paint. Pike knows that too. The Big Ten is the best scouted league in all college basketball. Teams need to switch up their tendencies to keep opponents guessing. Last year Paul went on an incredible run scoring and then teams figured out how to defend him. My guess is that we’ll see a rotation back to Paul in the post more as the season goes on.

Even when Rutgers was winning games the offense had long scoring droughts which was caused by the skill set of the players.Very few players can create and make shots off the dribble. As such a player like Mulcahy is needed to drive to the basket and pass to Cliff for a dunk or pass to the corners for a 3 point shot.The best option is for Paul to make the shot off the dribble.The absence of outside shooters is a recruiting problem that hopefully will be fixed in the next two seasons.

It’s a fine line. Trust Paul to run the offense and make smart decisions which limit turnovers but it depends on matchups. When Paul can look over a smaller defender or back them down and he IS hitting shots it opens the entire offense up and may even attract a double team. However when Paul goes up against an elite defender and he can’t back him down, feel confident dribbling past or hitting shots, our offense stagnants and is prone to TOs Paul does not look effective leading the offense.

In my opinion RU does not have a true or elite point guard that can do all the great things Paul does (decision making, limits TO, distribute and sees whole court) but also can blow by defenders to score at the rim, shoot a high fg percentage and play defense across the court which Paul is not.

Derrick has potential but I feel he has more of a two guard mentality. He also has work to do on improving strength, shot, dribble and decision making.

Elite pgs don’t grow on trees but RU will make do until it does have one.

GO RU

Where did you play point?

Reactions: KnightLife1994
I think people are slightly conflating things a bit.

I'll give a NBA example.

The Nets offense runs through Kevin Durant.
But he doesn't run the Nets offense.
That's on Kyrie or even Ben Simmons.

Kyrie can have both - run it and have it run through him.
Jokic is the same.

Ideally, Paul runs the offense and it runs through Caleb or Hyatt. Not sure it can run through Cam. Not sure Caleb and Hyatt can handle that either though.

Last year is an example. RHJ didn't run the offense. Paul did. But it ran through RHJ (arguably it should have run through him even more than it did).

Knicks is a great example.
Brunson runs the offense. But it runs through Randle.

I believe - since I can't actually watch the Knicks on Xfinity (see my other thread complaining).

Reactions: KnightLife1994
Agee with the concept but sometimes teams take it away from us. We are at our best IMO when we hit a few 3’s early and it doesn’t have to be Cam.

I think people are slightly conflating things a bit.

I'll give a NBA example.

The Nets offense runs through Kevin Durant.
But he doesn't run the Nets offense.
That's on Kyrie or even Ben Simmons.

Kyrie can have both - run it and have it run through him.
Jokic is the same.

Ideally, Paul runs the offense and it runs through Caleb or Hyatt. Not sure it can run through Cam. Not sure Caleb and Hyatt can handle that either though.

Last year is an example. RHJ didn't run the offense. Paul did. But it ran through RHJ (arguably it should have run through him even more than it did).
Think we are arguing the same thing just diff verbiage.

Maybe the best way to put is the offense must flow through paul but he doesn’t necessarily need to be the guy scoring the ball

Reactions: NickRU714
Think we are arguing the same thing just diff verbiage.

Maybe the best way to put is the offense must flow through paul but he doesn’t necessarily need to be the guy scoring the ball
Exactly, you can have Paul facilitating the offense more regularly. But if you want the offense to " run through" Paul what will ending happening is he will have the ball too much, he will end up backing his man down , teams will take away the pass and he will have to be a 1:1 scorer . Now dont get me wrong, Paul can score in the post. But if you asked him to do it for a large part of the game i dont think it would work. He did do it vs Northwestern last year , but not since..

Agree with Caleb comments. Every time he brings the ball up, he dribbles for too long and either gets stripped or tries to make his own play or ends up taking a long late in shot clock shot that he infrequently makes.

ADVERTISEMENT