ADVERTISEMENT

Our remaining 13 games

Unless we run the table at home we are going to need to find a win away from the RAC somewhere.

We have a 23 game schedule including SHU, PITT and B1gT game.

We are 6-3 with 14+games left. We are 39% done with our schedule. Off to a good start, but we have a lot of season to go. We only have 6 games left at the RAC.

Unless we run the table at home we are going to need to find a win away from the RAC somewhere.

We are 6-3 with 14+games left. We are 39% done with our schedule. Off to a good start, but we have a lot of season to go. We only have 6 games left at the RAC.

True!

....but the crazy and SCARY thing is when watching this team at home I have the feeling that eventually we wear out our opponent and eventually win.
PURDUE
MICHIGAN
MARYLAND
ILLINOIS

NORTHWESTERN
NEBRASKA

We are certainly capable of running the table at home, but the odds are we'll lay an egg in at least one of those games. Every team does. The best chance for a road win is probably at PSU (not usually an intimidating place to play) or at MSG (not a true road game). Purdue is the least formidable road foe on paper, but they just don't lose at Mackey - just ask MSU.

....but the crazy and SCARY thing is when watching this team at home I have the feeling that eventually we wear out our opponent and eventually win.
PURDUE
MICHIGAN
MARYLAND
ILLINOIS

NORTHWESTERN
NEBRASKA
Love the thought process but take it 1 game at a time starting at Iowa ...a tough one but certainly winnable if we get equal or somewhat equal treatment by the refs...pound it inside... hit the glass hard... share the rock... continue to play relentless on the D.

We are certainly capable of running the table at home, but the odds are we'll lay an egg in at least one of those games. Every team does. The best chance for a road win is probably at PSU (not usually an intimidating place to play) or at MSG (not a true road game). Purdue is the least formidable road foe on paper, but they just don't lose at Mackey - just ask MSU.
Although possible , I say unlikely we lose at home. The sell out crowds that we were 1-5 last year in front of , have now energized the building to allow our team to remain undefeated. They is a legitimate palpable buzz when you enter the arena and it lasts all game. The deficits against Penn State in the first half and the first 2 minutes against Minnesota were overcome easily without our playing our best ball. The other games, Wisconsin, Indiana were immediate 9-0 leads leading to timeouts. Purdue, Michigan and Maryland are capable of hitting us early with their shooting but then our defense clamps down and the crowd gets wild and the team takes over.
The road is interesting. We have played the Number 1 and 2 teams on the road, MSU and Illinois . We played MSU the toughest of any of the 5 teams they have played at home but really didn’t have a chance to win that game with Myles foul trouble . Illinois was neck and neck with Rutgers having the lead most of the game. We just didn’t finish. Very unlikely we win at Purdue or at Maryland but almost nobody wins at Mackey or Xfinity Center .
That leaves Iowa tomorrow, Michigan at MSG, ,at Ohio State , at, Penn State and At Wisconsin. There is no reason we cannot win tomorrow, with the Number one offense going against the Number 1 defense. We know Iowa plays shit defense and our guys won last year and our 4 freshman had coming out parties there. Carver Hawkeye will be loud and juiced but we should be used to crowd noise ..It is a toss up.
MSG becomes our National stage so Michigan which is playing better and will probably have Livers back , will have the vice grips put on them by our defense. They do not play great defense and Garza torched them for 44 and 33 and every other Big 10 center has torched them as well.
Ohio State , Penn State, and Wisconsin are also tossups. They will not be easy but winning 2-3 of the five is very doable.
This is so exciting because we not only go into every game with a legitimate shot to win , but now we are shooting for the title or at least a double bye. It has been too long but we are here to stay.

I still think Penn State would seem winnable based on their style of play, the lack of enviroment there, and how we played them the first time

again I would give up a win vs Michigan at home for a road win at say Purdue or especially Wisconsin.
We are not winning at Purdue but Wisconsin will get interesting as we are more athletic than that team everywhere except for Koby King .

9 are Quad 1 and 2 are Quad 2. Lets go Rutgers!

And we are a Quad 1 game for our opponents. Crazy.
At this juncture, I realistically believe if we can go 7-6 in the remaining games, which gives us a 12-8 record in the B1G and 21 wins before the conference tournament, I would be over the moon. I predicted 18 wins on the high end this season and 15 on the low. If we get to 21 wins before the conference tournament, we are in the NCAA tournament for sure, because we will finish in the top half of the conference. Any more wins than that, I will probably hyperventilate and carry around a stupid smile on my face all day, everyday.

Best opportunity probably was against Illinois but Rutgers only scored 51 points.
Why would an away game at the second place team in the conference without our leader and starting PG be our best opportunity for a road win? Can't see the logic there at all.

We crushed Nebraska on the road and almost beat Illinois without Geo. Defense travels. We have so much depth to find a couple good games a night from our top 8. Not sure why everyone is acting like we cant get a road win. I expect a couple and I'm not overly concerned about it either. We aren't only winning bc of the RAC. We are good. Embrace it

At this juncture, I realistically believe if we can go 7-6 in the remaining games, which gives us a 12-8 record in the B1G and 21 wins before the conference tournament, I would be over the moon. I predicted 18 wins on the high end this season and 15 on the low. If we get to 21 wins before the conference tournament, we are in the NCAA tournament for sure, because we will finish in the top half of the conference. Any more wins than that, I will probably hyperventilate and carry around a stupid smile on my face all day, everyday.
12-8 most likely gets us top 4 and double bye.

We are not winning at Purdue but Wisconsin will get interesting as we are more athletic than that team everywhere except for Koby King .
The great thing about this team is that while I would have said something like that in past years, I wouldn't this year. Sure, winning at Purdue is much less likely than winning, but this team is capable of pulling it off. There is no top 10 in the country that this team can't beat if we play really, really well and that team plays its B game (not a C or D game) - when was the last time we could say that?

Greene - Didn’t we win 2 away B1G games last year? And you are worried about THIS team finding a win away from the RAC? Are you watching these games??

Just go nuts and fill your half-empty glass a little, think positively and enjoy. This team is really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
Alex, I’ll take Rutgers and 8 more wins for $1000!

I think that’s reasonable. Yes, yes indeed.

I’ll take road wins at Iowa and Whisky plus a sweep of them at their home... the problem with my 8 more win prediction is I don’t really see us getting swept by Michigan.

I’d love to see us put a hearty smack down on Mary, Michigan, and especially Ohio State.

I want them to FEAR us from this day forward.

I want the pent up frustration of decades to be unleashed on their sorry asses!

I want Yamamoto’s ghost to grin like a silly bastard at the sleeping giant bitch slapping these losers!

Why would an away game at the second place team in the conference without our leader and starting PG be our best opportunity for a road win? Can't see the logic there at all.

We crushed Nebraska on the road and almost beat Illinois without Geo. Defense travels. We have so much depth to find a couple good games a night from our top 8. Not sure why everyone is acting like we cant get a road win. I expect a couple and I'm not overly concerned about it either. We aren't only winning bc of the RAC. We are good. Embrace it

We have the same downtrodden folks that cannot see that this team is different. Do not limit this team!

Put it another way, who in their right mind would want to play us now, at our house or THEIRS?!?

Greene - Didn’t we win 2 away B1G games last year? And you are worried about THIS team finding a win away from the RAC? Are you watching these games??

Just go nuts and fill your half-empty glass a little, think positively and enjoy. This team is really good.
No I just look at score in the paper.

If you are asking why are we not winning at Purdue, that is because they have the best home record at Mackey for last 5-10 years . Now having said that coming off their 29 point blowout of MSU, they got boat raced by Illinois 79-62 tonight after being embarrassed at Illinois 63-37. So maybe there is a better chance this year, but will know more after I see how badly we beat them next Tuesday at home .
If you asking Why we have a good chance at Wisconsin, it is because we are just better than them. We are more athletic and will lock them down on defense and do not think they can lock us down. Yes , they have won there a lot over the last 10 years as well, but with elite teams , which this year’s edition is not!

By the same logic we are a pushover at the RAC. We have been one of the worst home basketball teams over the past 10 years at home of any major conference team.

BOOM

And to think of reading a thread here after the St.Bonnies loss suggesting Pike had to go because he'd never get it done here.

Team really needs to bear down and take care of business every game.. every practice for that matter. They are really good but it is their effort that makes them good. Fighting for every board, every loose ball and then pushing it.

Reactions: RutgHoops
And to think of reading a thread here after the St.Bonnies loss suggesting Pike had to go because he'd never get it done here.

Team really needs to bear down and take care of business every game.. every practice for that matter. They are really good but it is their effort that makes them good. Fighting for every board, every loose ball and then pushing it.

I am petrified of this team letting their foot off the gas because we got ranked. I don't want post ranking letdown. As far as I am concerned I hope Pike has a huge poster in the locker room that says "WE WERE PICKED TO FINISH 12TH" and makes sure the chip stays on the shoulder. I haven't been this excited since sitting in the stands for the A10 Championship against PSU.

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT