ADVERTISEMENT

Our Sagarin hoops neighborhood

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
#92 UConn, Georgetown, Washington, Mississippi, Iowa, UAB, New Mexico State, #99 Rutgers, Dayton, Buffalo, Louisiana Tech, FGCU, Jan Murray State, Georgia Tech, #106 Mercer.
Never in my lifetime did I think we would have the Dayton Flyers in our rear view mirror and have UConn and Georgetown in our sights.
Lots of unfathomable programs above us — South Dakota, Vermont, Towson.
You can not make this stuff up.

WAY early for Sagarin to have any real meaning. You need to get at least 4-6 games into conference play for every team before Sagarin even begins to have validity, in my opinion.

Not that I like Sagarin that much anyway ... but it is too early.

Still, I do get your point.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
#92 UConn, Georgetown, Washington, Mississippi, Iowa, UAB, New Mexico State, #99 Rutgers, Dayton, Buffalo, Louisiana Tech, FGCU, Jan Murray State, Georgia Tech, #106 Mercer.
Never in my lifetime did I think we would have the Dayton Flyers in our rear view mirror and have UConn and Georgetown in our sights.

DId you right the schools ahead / behind us?

"Jan Murray State":....very funny!

MO

Don’t worry about Sagarin at this moment as it’s meaningless. We know that our schedule is very weak and for good reason. Pikiell had no choice based on the players he had and the big -10 schedule. You are not doing yourself any favors with recruiting when you lose a lot of games before conference play.

I think we are a decent basketball team based on the FSU and MSU scores but they were also both home games. I don’t think we can beat SHU unless everything goes right. But barring any surprises, we should have 11 wins going into conference play. Then we see what happens. We need to finish this season with a winning record.

Reactions: GoFish2
Sagarin is just another tool - but as we improve it is a marker of progression. With the Fordham win we are now at 90.

More importantly we are no longer last in conference:

76 Illinois =
89 Indiana =
90 Rutgers =
91 Nebraska =
98 Iowa

Eddie Murray State or Steady Eddie Murray State would have been too obvious.
How about...

anne-murray-singer.jpg

Two things:

1) Check these rankings again in about 6 weeks. Right now they are absolutely meaningless, across the board.

2) Never in your life did you think Dayton would be in our rear-view mirror? Dayton's a solid program, but really? I think you need to set your sights a little higher.

You have some understanding of Rutgers hoops over the last 30 years? Rutgers hoops, during that time, should be thrilled to be mentioned in the same sentence with the Dayton Flyers. That is reality.

You have some understanding of Rutgers hoops over the last 30 years? Rutgers hoops, during that time, should be thrilled to be mentioned in the same sentence with the Dayton Flyers. That is reality.
But it's not reality. When you beat the 10 bad teams you play, and lose to the three good teams you play, it leaves us knowing very little. We have to let the season play out.

looking at kenpom....
we are 102 overall
37 in defense
219 in offense :scream:

1.011 points per possession
#37 is 1.124 points per possession

at 69.5 possessions that is 7.85 points short.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

Let's say 12 * 7.85 = we are 94 total points short for the season

if we shoot 71% from FT (NCAA average) we make 183 vs. 163 = +20
if we shoot 3s 35% (NCAA ave.) we make 67 vs, 54 = +39
if we shoot 2s 50% (NCAA ave.) we make 288.5 vs 274 = 29

If we shot average 20+39+29=88, puts us right where we need to be.

Reactions: FastMJ
Sagarin is a measurement, same as RPI, as the season moves on the measure takes more significance. To state it is meaningless right now is short sighted. In measuring conference strength against other conferences it finalizes once nonconference play is complete (this occurs in two weeks).

looking at kenpom....
we are 102 overall
37 in defense
219 in offense :scream:

1.011 points per possession
#37 is 1.124 points per possession

at 69.5 possessions that is 7.85 points short.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

Let's say 12 * 7.85 = we are 94 total points short for the season

if we shoot 71% from FT (NCAA average) we make 183 vs. 163 = +20
if we shoot 3s 35% (NCAA ave.) we make 67 vs, 54 = +39
if we shoot 2s 50% (NCAA ave.) we make 288.5 vs 274 = 29

If we shot average 20+39+29=88, puts us right where we need to be.
So you're saying RU basketball comes up short as usual? :weary:

I think/hope/dream that help is on it's way. there hasn't been an emphasis on recruiting guys that can shoot. i just hope the new "pikiell" recruit has the defensive upside. He has shown in the 1st 1.4 years that he can get guys to play defense and rebound. Can Thiam, Harper, Baker, Mathis, Kiss defend at a similar level of Corey or Mike?

When you expend so much energy on defense, with the talent you have, it will take its toll offensively. Can't keep defense a constant while simply increasing offensive output to the NCAA average, with this talent, other than on an individual game basis, where the shots are falling.

That said, upgrading overall talent and depth over time will have the desired effect...

Reactions: Mr_Twister
1/1/2018 — #107 Louisiana-Lafayette, Dayton, San Diego, Iona, Oakland-Michigan, Rutgers, Princeton, Colorado, DePaul, Furman, College of Charleston.
Bethlehem, PA native Pete Joseph Carril and Bronx-accented Bobby Cremins can not be happy. As per usual Dayton has us in their rear view mirror.
Iona ahead of Rutgers?

#113 Connecticut, Iona, Wyoming, Tulsa, Oregon State, #118 Rutgers, St. Joseph’s, Mercer, Montana, Princeton, #123 Utah State.

RU certainly got a rough draw on the schedule having to play the conference's 3 best teams twice - MSU, Purdue and OSU.

OSU was a bottom 4 team last season

RU also draws Nebby, Illinois and they were going in the predicted bottom 5 along with RU and OSU

OSU was a bottom 4 team last season

RU also draws Nebby, Illinois and they were going in the predicted bottom 5 along with RU and OSU

I'm not suggesting a pre-season conspiracy against RU by the scheduling mavens. But, as it turns out, with OSU's resurgence, we have a very tough conference schedule because we play what will most likely be the top-3 teams in the conference 6 times. I'm not sure any other team in the conference has to do that. (For example MSU, Purdue and OSU all face each other only once!) No one knew OSU would be so good. But, Purdue and MSU were consensus top-3 in the conference preseason.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting a pre-season conspiracy against RU by the scheduling mavens. But, as it turns out, with OSU's resurgence, we have a very tough conference schedule because we play what will most likely be the top-3 teams in the conference 6 times. I'm not sure any other team in the conference has to do that. (For example MSU, Purdue and OSU all face each other only once!) No one knew OSU would be so good. But, Purdue and MSU were consensus top-3 in the conference preseason.
When you are a new member to a league and not successful its not surprising that the B1G is showing no favors toward Rutgers in scheduling.I don't see Maryland having problems successfully competing in the B1G because they attract top tier talent on a continual basis.

When you are a new member to a league and not successful its not surprising that the B1G is showing no favors toward Rutgers in scheduling.I don't see Maryland having problems successfully competing in the B1G because they attract top tier talent on a continual basis.

MD is and has been for years world’s ahead of us in Hoops. But, FWIW they only play Purdue and OSU once this year.

Reactions: ScarletDave
It’s not a “conspiracy” .. the B1G schedules it’s games to benefit the top teams. Purely business. They predict RU to be near the bottom, hence giving the big teams 2 games against us. Think about who the other bad teams you would have predicted and take a look at the schedules .. just as you would make it to benefit the top. Has always been this way.

Reactions: RUJMM78
stop it.....RU was given 2 games against Nebby, 2 against Illinois, 2 against OSU...they were teams expected to be in the bottom 6 this year...how can you refute that. OSU has surprised. They also got 2 games against MSU and Purdue....thats how you balance a schedule out. Did you want RU to just play the bottom schools 2x and no one in the top....the schedule is fair, the way the games are played when may be manipulated but in the unbalanced schedule they are trying to make it as even as they can

stop it.....RU was given 2 games against Nebby, 2 against Illinois, 2 against OSU...they were teams expected to be in the bottom 6 this year...how can you refute that. OSU has surprised. They also got 2 games against MSU and Purdue....thats how you balance a schedule out. Did you want RU to just play the bottom schools 2x and no one in the top....the schedule is fair, the way the games are played when may be manipulated but in the unbalanced schedule they are trying to make it as even as they can

I'm guessing before the season started many here had penciled in no worse than 1-1 vs OSU.

OSUperhaps was under ranked but we benefit from hosting a lot of potential bottom 7 teams....Iowa Nebraska Illinois Indiana NW and WIsconsin...thats 6 opportunities for RU to grow.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Northwestern was suppose to be a top 5 team...they get
I'm guessing before the season started many here had penciled in no worse than 1-1 vs OSU.

true....even 2-0. Fact is there are no league teams that you can pencil wins in, even Nebraska is much tougher than expected. RU gets a break that Northwestern is not as good as expected so all this stuff breaks out, Iowa was supposed to be good and they are not and RU gets them at home

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT