ADVERTISEMENT

Our underlying qb problem for last decade plus has been basically the same..

Pro style QBs develop with reps. They don’t make plays with their feet. We saw this with Teel in 2095? even though he had the benefit of a redshirt in 2004. Having said that he did not start every game or play every game in 2005. The reason being we were a bowl blind team and Hart was a good passing QB. We had no other passers this year. Gio would have kept games closer with his heart and effort. Then next year would have been much worse IMO.

That all makes perfect sense. And I was on board for that approach and starting Sit (edit - put Gio accidentally). The program needs to stop taking short cuts (hiring Kill and destroying the offense is a perfect example).

But then the head coach shouldnt say a "Bowl Game" is the season goal.
And say 2018 is to build for 2019 and 2020.
Thats a hard message to give in Year 3 though.

Ash was damned either way honestly.
Hiring Kill and stopping all offensive development sealed his fate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yeah Baby
all sports have had examples of "gamers". Sometimes, for many reasons, some players just don't show up at practice but light it up in games. The opposite is also true when the level of pressure is far less.
QB's have the unique situation of wearing the green jersey. Clearly, knowing you are not going to get hit changes how you play. No player is going to take a shot at his own team mate in practice.
A game situation shows you the reality of a player's ability under pressure. Ash seems to have thought the results were not important. Maybe another guy could have been a "gamer". Seems we find out about some of these players after they move on and play elsewhere.

Seniors don’t care about next year and coaches should play the guy that gives you the best chance to win.
Gio has a completely serviceable arm.

I’ll argue with you a true freshman should never play unless he realizes some success and flashes of play making ability.
Playing Art was more damaging than helpful
If hurt this year for sure. I hope the light switch goes on next year Zap. It’s either that or give up which I don’t do easily.

You’re not sure we had a better QB?
That’s impossible!
What Art does in a couple years means nothing to the seniors who could have graduated with a couple more wins under their belt... he had no business being on the field this year
I said this before. Art should have sat this year. Gio should have had the majority of the snaps. Gio's skills did not fit the "chunk" philosophy of our OC and so he forced Art into a situation he was not prepared for. McNulty should have taken a step back, realized what he had and groomed Art for 2019. Instead he destroyed his confidence and almost killed him at OSU.

Reactions: madchuck
Pro style QBs develop with reps. They don’t make plays with their feet. We saw this with Teel in 2005 even though he had the benefit of a redshirt in 2004. Having said that he did not start every game or play every game in 2005. The reason being we were a bowl blind team and Hart was a good passing QB. We had no other passers this year. Gio would have kept games closer with his heart and effort. Then next year would have been much worse IMO.

Wow, this is idiotic . So you bench the guy that gives you heart and errort ....and wait for it ....the best chance to win ....in hopes of the next season not being “worse”.
Did you ever play any type of competitive sport or are you a participation trophy casualty?

*Flood' s extreme Laviano crush defied not only the usual paradigm, but all logic.

I was convinced then, and remained convinced, that Flood took over and decided to not swap QBs around.. EVER. I think he saw it as a differentiation between him and Schiano.. putting his stamp on things.

So he stuck with Nova as if he were his dad.. and then once he picked Laviano.. that was that.. he had to prove that he did the right think with Nova by doing it again with Laviano.

We all know that Schiano was too conservative at times.. and still he had some good offenses... good enough to attract Savage. Good enough to sign Britt.

But Flood is the source of the problem. He created a running game as co-OC in charge of the run game.. that invited blitzes... repeated that failed offense again as head coach.. while playing QBs who were not ready.

So we ended up with situation where... first, I think, you wouldn't want you QB son to go to Rutgers where there wasn't open competition to win the job.. Then, with poor passing and decision-making behind center.. you wouldn't want your WR son to play at Rutgers.. they couldn't move the ball on offense.. especially in the passing game.

What success we had through the air was due to throwing to covered WRs who made plays.. Sanu and Carrroo. Sanu would be snagging balls in his general area... usually very short passes.. and Carroo would win jump balls deep down the field. Carroo's TDs were largely the defender falling after he won the jump ball..few passes hitting him in stride.

About the only way to fix it now is..

A: certified offensive genius as OC or HC or maybe even QB coach

and/or

B: attract a top notch QB recruit who has some buzz about him and enough connections to bring in WRs and other offensive players with him.

We need a good STORY that the kids who would like to stay and play in New jersey want to hear and CAN BELIEVE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT