ADVERTISEMENT

Outrageously priced single-game tickets went on sale today...RU is going to sell dozens and dozens

Local Shill

Hall of Famer
Aug 30, 2001
Easton Avenue's finest gin mills
I'm not sure how Rutgers expects to sell tickets with what they're charging. In their defense, even if they slashed the prices by two-thirds, I'm not sure many more would be sold.

Expecting lots of promos and discounted tickets as the games get closer.

How many non-season tickets holders (How many are left by the way?) are going to give up their Saturday morning tennis game to come to Minnesota-RU in mid October to pay $100 for a lower sideline seat.

Last edited:
One thing Hobbs has badly whiffed on is ticket sales. I have no idea why they insist on trying to sell tickets to a piss poor opponent (Texas State, Morgan State, UMASS) for $75 a seat. Who is actually paying that?

Use the Pernetti approach and sell 2 for $30 in the upper decks of those games. We wound up getting 50k to watch Howard one year when he did that. Family of 4 comes out, spends $60 on tickets, $30 on parking and another $30 on concessions. Full house. Better than getting 32k for UMASS because they’re $75 each and $0 from the empty seat. It’s supply/demand, basic economics.

I was suspect mass dumping of tickets by Rutgers to make the Stadium look at least half full during games. That will be extremely challenging with the season ticket holder base already cut by more than 50% over the last 3 years.

Will need the Team to come out strong and make a statement.

Stub hub has cheap prices for almost all the games. And Rutgers puts some of the tickets on stub hub, and changes the price as the game nears depending on supply and demand.

Every team in every sport does this.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
One thing Hobbs has badly whiffed on is ticket sales. I have no idea why they insist on trying to sell tickets to a piss poor opponent (Texas State, Morgan State, UMASS) for $75 a seat. Who is actually paying that?

I'm starting to worry about Hobbs ... at least as it pertains to the football program.

I get the feeling he's still trying to figure out why 90% of the fan base wants Ash fired.

Use the Pernetti approach and sell 2 for $30 in the upper decks of those games. We wound up getting 50k to watch Howard one year when he did that. Family of 4 comes out, spends $60 on tickets, $30 on parking and another $30 on concessions. Full house. Better than getting 32k for UMASS because they’re $75 each and $0 from the empty seat. It’s supply/demand, basic economics.

Rutgers marketing has been declining since Schiano left but marketing/ ticket sales for RU Football under Hobbs has been almost comically bad. After 4 losing seasons in a row with 2 seasons being absolutely awful, they send out ‘lecturing’ emails to season-ticket holders about how they’ll lose their priority points if they don’t renew, with no real noticeable retention strategy to speak of. We’ve largely bungled the 150th anniversary celebration. Our merchandise licensing still seems like an absolute mess too.

Joe P.

Stub hub has cheap prices for almost all the games. And Rutgers puts some of the tickets on stub hub, and changes the price as the game nears depending on supply and demand.

Yup. OP is fake news, and lots of fake outrage. Anyone can get tickets, and lots of them from $13 Liberty to $20. Looks like the tickets are in blocks of 4 or 6, and likely being sold by Rutgers.
https://www.stubhub.com/find/s/?q=rutgers football

The pricing strategy has been moronic the past few years. Each year we’ve been seeing more and more silver in the seats and they keep insist on dynamic or inflated pricing.

I get it if you don’t want to piss off season ticket holders by lowering too much, but you need to fill the seats as much as you can, it’s already embarrassing enough and the revenue keeps declining.

Each year you keep away a fan the harder and harder it will be to ever bring them back. And we’ve lost thousands the past 5 years.

This is true but the average fan might not realize this, see the ridiculous prices posted by Rutgers and be turned off immediately.

There should be much cheaper ways to get tickets directly through RU and Rutgers should be advertising this like crazy.

It is 2019 everyone knows what Stub Hub is.

No one pays full price for NFL or CFB tickets.

You would be surprised. "Everyone" knows nothing. There are always some people who just don't care, and on the rare occasion they want to buy a ticket to something have no idea how to go about doing it.

But your basic point is true. MOST people who would go in the first place know that.

It is 2019 everyone knows what Stub Hub is.

No one pays full price for NFL or CFB tickets.

How hard is it to start a campaign today that we are selling 2 tickets for $30 each in the upper deck for the UMASS game? Would it kill the HC and the AD to work together to try to bring in a strong crowd for the home opener? At least that would generate a little buzz. Despite the team being historically bad, even my most negative friends would splurge to take their family on a beautiful Friday night to check out the team.

No, let's charge $75 a head so the team can run out of the tunnel to 3k people.

Great products demand high prices and they will get it.
Poor products cannot hope to do the same.
Hobbs should be focusing on putting butts in the seats any way possible.
Some big time opponents will certainly give RU the chance to charge more with the opposition fans wanting seats, but most of the home games will not qualify.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
RU Football Home Games prices on Stubhub today:

UMass- starting at $17, best value section 106 (50 yard line) $34
BC- $20
Maryland $22
Minn $20
Liberty $13
Ohio St $96
Mich St $24

https://www.stubhub.com/rutgers-scarlet-knights-football-tickets/performer/27695/?gcid=C12289X486&keyword=cpid-1063436326_agid-52452370952_kwd-333650311674_c&creative=251977878236&utm_kxconfid=s2rshsbmv&utm_campaign=1063436326&ap=1t1&ploc=9003470&iloc=&kwt=nb&mt=e&kw=stubhub rutgers football&ds_rl=1253308&ds_rl=1253947&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7M3Dqf6s4wIVFLbICh243QmXEAAYASAAEgLHQfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

RU also now offers a season ticket for $210, they give you the best available ticket for each game on a game by game basis. As most know, moving to better seat locations is not difficult.

Last edited:
If a season ticket holder wants to sell a 50 yard line seat in the lower deck for $20.00 I do not have a problem with that since they have invested in the program by buying season tickets. But if the school starts putting unsold tix below face value, I do have a problem with that. I understand the need to fill the stadium but what message are you sending to your best customers?

The 150th anniversary resonates with almost no one outside the most diehard Rutgers and Princeton alumni football fan base.

Which is at least partly a failure of marketing.

Before Guardians of the Galaxy came out, people thought Marvel was crazy for making a movie about a bunch of B-list characters including a talking raccoon and a tree that just says its name over and over.

The Athletics Dept and ticket office have re-classified “best customers” as “patrons of the program”.

If a season ticket holder wants to sell a 50 yard line seat in the lower deck for $20.00 I do not have a problem with that since they have invested in the program by buying season tickets. But if the school starts putting unsold tix below face value, I do have a problem with that. I understand the need to fill the stadium but what message are you sending to your best customers?

The thing is with Stubhub, or Vivid Seats or Primo Seats, etc, you never know who the seller really is.

You are going to see a lot of discount tickets for various groups—Scouts,youth football,emergency workers,teachers,etc.

Something I have never understood is why they don't do this. I believe we've had packages like this going back to Grunninger.
But unlike other sports, you really have to plan to go to the game, so people like to get tickets ahead of time so they can set things up. And by "people" I mean the casual fans, not the diehards like us. So if they can't buy inexpensive tickets to a game weeks or months ahead of the actual event, they're more likely to plan to do something else for that Saturday instead of coming.
Rutgers marketing has been declining since Schiano left but marketing/ ticket sales for RU Football under Hobbs has been almost comically bad. After 4 losing seasons in a row with 2 seasons being absolutely awful, they send out ‘lecturing’ emails to season-ticket holders about how they’ll lose their priority points if they don’t renew, with no real noticeable retention strategy to speak of. We’ve largely bungled the 150th anniversary celebration.
Nothing to add to this because it's dead on target.
The 150th anniversary resonates with almost no one outside the most diehard Rutgers and Princeton alumni football fan base.
I disagree. If we had truly planned this out for a few years, gotten the Big 10 on board to help make it not only a Rutgers event, but a Big 10 Event as well, we could have generated significant publicity and interest.
How hard is it to start a campaign today that we are selling 2 tickets for $30 each in the upper deck for the UMASS game? Would it kill the HC and the AD to work together to try to bring in a strong crowd for the home opener? At least that would generate a little buzz. Despite the team being historically bad, even my most negative friends would splurge to take their family on a beautiful Friday night to check out the team. No, let's charge $75 a head so the team can run out of the tunnel to 3k people.
Yep, it's almost comically bad how out-of-touch they are in generating interest in the casual fan. If I'm a parent with a passing interest in the team, no way I'm going to spend $300 for tickets plus whatever it costs for parking, concessions, etc. to bring my family (assuming spouse and 2 kids) to the game. And this is where the athletic department is falling down: you WANT parents to bring their children to the game, because once you make inroads with the kids you set the seeds for future fans of the program and possibly future students and alumni.

Rutgers marketing has been declining since Schiano left but marketing/ ticket sales for RU Football under Hobbs has been almost comically bad. After 4 losing seasons in a row with 2 seasons being absolutely awful, they send out ‘lecturing’ emails to season-ticket holders about how they’ll lose their priority points if they don’t renew, with no real noticeable retention strategy to speak of. We’ve largely bungled the 150th anniversary celebration. Our merchandise licensing still seems like an absolute mess too.

Joe P.

"But Hobbs is a great fundraiser"

Forgetting the hiring and failure to fire of Ash for a moment, shouldn't all this other stuff count, a lot? I dropped season tix and they did nothing to retain me. The 150th is a joke. To me a lot of this stuff seems really self evident.

It's great that bball is doing better and there's a statue coming and some of the coaches that predated Hobbs are winning. But football drives the bus. And 3/4 of the bus is dangling over a cliff.

They’ve created a problem for themselves with the prices they charged season ticket holders. There’s no good way out of it from here unless they offer some form of rebates.

"But Hobbs is a great fundraiser"

Forgetting the hiring and failure to fire of Ash for a moment, shouldn't all this other stuff count, a lot? I dropped season tix and they did nothing to retain me. The 150th is a joke. To me a lot of this stuff seems really self evident.

It's great that bball is doing better and there's a statue coming and some of the coaches that predated Hobbs are winning. But football drives the bus. And 3/4 of the bus is dangling over a cliff.

I’m with you on tickets. After 15 years as a season-ticket holder I get more calls from a gutter company I called once for a quote 5 years ago (and didn’t even use them) then I did from the ticket office after not renewing (zero calls). Our customer service and marketing (especially with the ticket office) is so bad it’s like we’re intentionally trying to get people angry or apathetic.

Joe P.

I’m with you on tickets. After 15 years as a season-ticket holder I get more calls from a gutter company I called once for a quote 5 years ago (and didn’t even use them) then I did from the ticket office after not renewing (zero calls). Our customer service and marketing (especially with the ticket office) is so bad it’s like we’re intentionally trying to get people angry or apathetic.

Joe P.

Complain, complain, Complain! This message board is quite depressing to read. 70,000 alums in the New York metro area and 4,000 contribute to the school. I would call that a "cheap" Alumni base. True fans don't complain about ticket prices because they know their purchases actually support the team and Rutgers. If you want good athletic teams you must support the teams with your donations and ticket purchases. More money means better salaries for better coaches, better facilities, improved recruiting and better teams to cheer for.

Complain, complain, Complain! This message board is quite depressing to read. 70,000 alums in the New York metro area and 4,000 contribute to the school. I would call that a "cheap" Alumni base. True fans don't complain about ticket prices because they know their purchases actually support the team and Rutgers. If you want good athletic teams you must support the teams with your donations and ticket purchases. More money means better salaries for better coaches, better facilities, improved recruiting and better teams to cheer for.

great argument IF we didn't go from where we were 10 years ago to where we are now. People did what you suggest THEN and THIS is what we got for it. #FAIL

Apparently you don't know how the Rutgers Administration works. You really think we got into this B1G thing to compete? Nope, this was nothing more than a cash grab for the Administration. Basically they've taken any increase in pay and instead of reinvesting it back into athletics, cashed those checks to reduce Direct Institutional Support.

Plus you try sitting through the crap product we have? I have and it hasn't been fun. I don't blame a single person for dropping tickets or not donating. If the Administration doesn't care, why should they? This isn't Nebraska where it's the only game in town. People have plenty of options to be entertained and they'd rather spend their hard earned money on a good product.

ADVERTISEMENT