ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 Expansion Article

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Conference expansion articles—no middle ground here. You either can’t get enough of these kinds of articles or you loathe them lol—

I always felt Houston and SMU might be good expansion targets for the PAC
that would bring in the Dallas (#5) and Houston (7) TV markets for the PAC12 Network and
help them get the P12N more interest from cable TV networks .
UNLV would be another school that might be a good fit.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I always felt Houston and SMU might be good expansion targets for the PAC
that would bring in the Dallas (#5) and Houston (7) TV markets for the PAC12 Network and
help them get the P12N more interest from cable TV networks .
UNLV would be another school that might be a good fit.
Starting to sound like the AAPAWAC there. Going for quantity over quality may not be a winning strategy.

Two issues.
No mention of changes to the current PAC TV contracts. If you are going to put all your premier games on at 10pm Eastern you are going to continue to be irrelevant.
Second. When he says expansion of playoff team is coming "soon" then he is only correct if by soon he means 2025. Nothing is happing before the current contract is over.
I don't seeing any Power 5 teams changing conferences anytime soon unless both conferences are moving teams to each other.

I'd put UNLV and UNM on deck. Possibly switch UN for UNLV. That gives two public possible two flagship schools in growing markets, full of PAC alumni. That both expands and fills-in the footprint, without over-expanding or overlapping markets. It also eliminates the religious affiliation that comes with BYU/SMU. I don't see expansion as a short term move for the PAC. Any school that is targeted will need a lot of time and even more money to bring up research and academics to PAC levels.

Last edited:
They’re very predictable…and re-hash the same arguments over and over again…

ahhhhhhh the off-season!

most of these articles are poorly thought-through.

You cannot get OU without oSu…period…why this is hard to grasp is puzzling. Oklahoma politicos will NOT let those two part company…ever.

BYU is a churchey school. Absolutely NO WAY the pac allows them in…for that same reason bayLOL has not shot there.

the university of no lasting value (UNLV) in the PAC would be hilarious. It would be like letting Monmouth into the B1G.

the idea of all pac championships in Vegas is a good one…

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TM94goRU and studed
Two issues.
No mention of changes to the current PAC TV contracts. If you are going to put all your premier games on at 10pm Eastern you are going to continue to be irrelevant.
Second. When he says expansion of playoff team is coming "soon" then he is only correct if by soon he means 2025. Nothing is happing before the current contract is over.
I don't seeing any Power 5 teams changing conferences anytime soon unless both conferences are moving teams to each other.

For Pac-12 TV contracts, I believe they expire soon. The current deal with ESPN/FOX was announced in May 2011 as a 12-year deal. (https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/10/29/pac-12-network-future/)

For the playoff, you are probably right because change always moves slow in college athletics, but there have been rumblings that a nice and neat place to start a new expanded playoff would be after the 2022 season, as that would be the end of the three-year cycle the NY6 bowls go on as far as hosting playoff games. Given that CFBP recently stated they are actively examining 60+ possibilities, it seems they will surely consider whether a new system should be in place by the 2023 season.

I'd put UNLV and UNM on deck. Possibly switch UN for UNLV. That gives two public possible two flagship schools in growing markets, full of PAC alumni. That both expands and fills-in the footprint, without over-expanding or overlapping markets. It also eliminates the religious affiliation that comes with BYU/SMU. I don't see expansion as a shot term move for the PAC. Any school that is targeted will need a lot of time and even more money to bring up researcher and academics to PAC levels.

I don't think UNLV is a realistic near-term option for PAC-12 expansion simply because they have not been good in either college football (basically ever) and college basketball (in almost 30 years). UNLV has been investing in those programs, but I would think some significant improvement would have to come first.

PAC-12 expansion would have to be about solidifying the conference as far as its football product. I'm not sure UNLV helps much, even though a ton of football recruits come from Las Vegas. The thing to note is that Las Vegas is already right in the middle of the PAC-12 footprint.

If the PAC-12 does end up expanding, I would think it would have to involve something like Texas or another Big 12 school.

Such a really bad article on so many fronts. At first he says that academics will be important then he suggests ten schools of which only one has a USN&WR ranking below 100, and that is at 80 for his tenth ranked probability. The disparity in rankings of the top current schools, Stanford, Cal and UCLA, and the schools he suggests is laughable.

Ain't happening folks.

Starting to sound like the AAPAWAC there. Going for quantity over quality may not be a winning strategy.
The PAC doesn't have very good choices when it comes to expanding their conference.
I can't see them raiding members of the Big 12 to go West.
If the top dogs in the B12 look to leave it will be to the B1G and/or the SEC

BYU seems like a good choice, but Utah is a member that gives them that state.

Boise State has a respectable Football program but Idaho TV viewing couch potatoes aren't that many in numbers and I'm not sure if Boise's other sports programs would be an asset to the PAC

UNLV will eventually be a PAC member , so I expect when the PAC decides to expand the Running Rebels will be given a long hard look-see.

So for now SMU and Houston might be the best choices by default because of their TV markets and the PAC's TV renewal negotiations starting 2024
If SMU has a generous bunch of boosters the Mustangs will be the best option , even if they are not the #1 choice in the Dallas-Fort Worth area college football fans.
Houston has potential to be an asset and worth considering by the PAC , in my opinion.

The top choice pool is mighty slim and the PAC won't be getting Oklahoma and Texas, but if those two leave the B12, a few of the leftovers might be scooped up instead of the programs I feel the PAC would go after

For Pac-12 TV contracts, I believe they expire soon. The current deal with ESPN/FOX was announced in May 2011 as a 12-year deal. (https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/10/29/pac-12-network-future/)

For the playoff, you are probably right because change always moves slow in college athletics, but there have been rumblings that a nice and neat place to start a new expanded playoff would be after the 2022 season, as that would be the end of the three-year cycle the NY6 bowls go on as far as hosting playoff games. Given that CFBP recently stated they are actively examining 60+ possibilities, it seems they will surely consider whether a new system should be in place by the 2023 season.
I might be off by a year but the playoff/championship deal expires after the 2024 season.

I might be off by a year but the playoff/championship deal expires after the 2024 season.

You were not wrong that the original 12 year deal expires after the 2025 season. What I was mentioning is that many believe that after the 2022 season (all NY6 bowls will have hosted semi-finals 3 times), is a nice cutoff point to start an expanded playoff with a renegotiated contract.

The PAC doesn't have very good choices when it comes to expanding their conference.
I can't see them raiding members of the Big 12 to go West.
If the top dogs in the B12 look to leave it will be to the B1G and/or the SEC

BYU seems like a good choice, but Utah is a member that gives them that state.

Boise State has a respectable Football program but Idaho TV viewing couch potatoes aren't that many in numbers and I'm not sure if Boise's other sports programs would be an asset to the PAC

UNLV will eventually be a PAC member , so I expect when the PAC decides to expand the Running Rebels will be given a long hard look-see.

So for now SMU and Houston might be the best choices by default because of their TV markets and the PAC's TV renewal negotiations starting 2024
If SMU has a generous bunch of boosters the Mustangs will be the best option , even if they are not the #1 choice in the Dallas-Fort Worth area college football fans.
Houston has potential to be an asset and worth considering by the PAC , in my opinion.

The top choice pool is mighty slim and the PAC won't be getting Oklahoma and Texas, but if those two leave the B12, a few of the leftovers might be scooped up instead of the programs I feel the PAC would go after

Why does the PAC-12 have to expand if there are no sure bets? What is that going to get them?

I would point out that, as someone that lives in Nevada, BYU has a following that far extends beyond the border of Utah. I did not understand that school's reach until I moved to the West. With that said, Utah might be very much opposed to having their rival join the same conference and that, along with other issues that come with bringing in BYU, might be enough to prevent that from happening.

I'd selfishly love to see UNLV join the PAC-12, but I just don't see what benefit it brings the conference, at least until UNLV has a proven football product, which they most certainly do not presently. IF a school with Boise's track record was located in Las Vegas that would make much more sense. UNLV is not in that galaxy right now as far as football quality.

Las Vegas is already a great asset to the PAC-12. They are moving their football championship game to Las Vegas -- a MUCH BETTER location than Santa Clara, and their bball tourney already does great in Vegas, especially anytime UCLA or Arizona is even remotely competitive.

Two issues.
If you recall, the Pac 12 played noon games (eastern time) this past season to gain more exposure for the conference. I was actually excited to watch the USC and Arizona State game at 9 AM Pacific Time. Expect more games in the 3:30 slot and 7 PM slot. The Pac 12 realizes the mistakes they made with their TV deal and game times.

They need to reach out to the University of Connecticut: they'd be a fine addition to the Pac-12, give them an East Coast presence and hand them the NYC Metro and Boston media markets.
Don't get both yukon fans all lathered up over this. There will be a dozen threads about 3rd tier rights, and whether the Furd vs yukon Women's BB game should be moved to MSG.

As much as UNLV doesn't fit a Pac 12 school profile, it does seem they are destined to join. Why would the Pac move their office to a state that doesn't have a team in the conference?

A while back, Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were touted for the Pac 12. Two eight team divisions with the Pacific State schools (the old Pac 8) and the eight inland schools. But for various reasons that will never happen. I just don't think Oklahoma would ever come over - even paired with OK State. I suspect OU is more likely to end up in the SEC if they ever changed conference affiliation.

Nevada is a fast-growing state and un UNLV could be a good addition, but their sports programs aren't so great at all. UNLV isn't even the flagship state university. Maybe UNLV and Nevada together. Boise is growing remarkably fast - lots of folks moving out of California, Washington and Oregon have been moving to Idaho. So, perhaps Boise State.

I think the Pac 12 stay pat with 12 teams. I think that's ultimately a good number of teams.

A while back, Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were touted for the Pac 12. Two eight team divisions with the Pacific State schools (the old Pac 8) and the eight inland schools. But for various reasons that will never happen. I just don't think Oklahoma would ever come over - even paired with OK State. I suspect OU is more likely to end up in the SEC if they ever changed conference affiliation.

Nevada is a fast-growing state and un UNLV could be a good addition, but their sports programs aren't so great at all. UNLV isn't even the flagship state university. Maybe UNLV and Nevada together. Boise is growing remarkably fast - lots of folks moving out of California, Washington and Oregon have been moving to Idaho. So, perhaps Boise State.

I think the Pac 12 stay pat with 12 teams. I think that's ultimately a good number of teams.
Academics do matter somewhat and UNLV’s and Boise State’s academics are well below average.

One of the analysts on the Paul Finebaum Show mentioned that one of the reasons behind league expansion is a push for the elimination of Out-Of-Conference games. Increased interest in televised league games, more significance for year-end bowl games for teams that do not qualify for the national playoffs.

UCONN is probably high on their list to solidify the Eastern seaboard.

You were not wrong that the original 12 year deal expires after the 2025 season. What I was mentioning is that many believe that after the 2022 season (all NY6 bowls will have hosted semi-finals 3 times), is a nice cutoff point to start an expanded playoff with a renegotiated contract.
ESPN isn't backing out of that sweetheart deal/monopoly. Its the TV deal that it will keep it from expanding early.

If you recall, the Pac 12 played noon games (eastern time) this past season to gain more exposure for the conference. I was actually excited to watch the USC and Arizona State game at 9 AM Pacific Time. Expect more games in the 3:30 slot and 7 PM slot. The Pac 12 realizes the mistakes they made with their TV deal and game times.
Hopefully your are correct. I like a lot of PAC12 teams but I'm in bed by 10pm.... or earlier!

ESPN isn't backing out of that sweetheart deal/monopoly. Its the TV deal that it will keep it from expanding early.

They wouldn't be backing out, they would be renegotiating to get more (probably better rated) games for at least three years at an increased price. Obviously it would take two to tango, but I think ESPN would love to dance, especially if it comes with the prospect of extending their deal beyond the initial 12 years.

As much as UNLV doesn't fit a Pac 12 school profile, it does seem they are destined to join. Why would the Pac move their office to a state that doesn't have a team in the conference?

The Pac-12 was in the unique position of basically needing to move their office. Their office was in a very costly location, and their expenses as highest of any conference received a ton of bad press. Las Vegas has a ton of cheap office space and is centrally located in the conference footprint. Plus, having the conference office in Las Vegas will make it easier for the conference to organize their bball tourney and football championship game.

I don't know that I'd read too much into the offices relocating to LV as far as bringing UNLV into the conference.

The Pac-12 was in the unique position of basically needing to move their office. Their office was in a very costly location, and their expenses as highest of any conference received a ton of bad press. Las Vegas has a ton of cheap office space and is centrally located in the conference footprint. Plus, having the conference office in Las Vegas will make it easier for the conference to organize their bball tourney and football championship game.

I don't know that I'd read too much into the offices relocating to LV as far as bringing UNLV into the conference.
Having an office in a state where you don't have a school within the conference footprint is weird. Outside of Colorado and Utah, the rest of the Pac 12 is west of Las Vegas. I guess the B1G should put an office in D.C. for the same reason.

signed,

Confused

They wouldn't be backing out, they would be renegotiating to get more (probably better rated) games for at least three years at an increased price. Obviously it would take two to tango, but I think ESPN would love to dance, especially if it comes with the prospect of extending their deal beyond the initial 12 years.
The colleges aren't going to let ESPN have an exclusive on the next deal. Why would ESPN renegotiate anyway? They have a sweetheart deal, a bargain by today's standards. Better games?? They currently have all 3 games. Why in the world would they let others in on their monopoly?

Looks like the next phase in the move to 4 super conferences with 16 teams each. How long will this take to play out?

Looks like the next phase in the move to 4 super conferences with 16 teams each. How long will this take to play out?
16 in football is just stupid. Way too many. How many years would it cycle through to play all teams in the other division? 8 years! Besides would the BTN make more money per school at 16? Highly doubt it.

7 games in division, 3 cross over and 2 OOC. It's plausible. Football playoff takes 2 teams from each conference. Somewhat fair and balanced.

7 games in division, 3 cross over and 2 OOC. It's plausible. Football playoff takes 2 teams from each conference. Somewhat fair and balanced.
Remember it's not just football. 16 is a big number to work around. Again are you adding teams that make you more money per team than the current projections as is? And what conference gets eliminated?? ACC? Big 12?? Texas and UNC will not let that happen.

You don’t really believe they would set up a playoff where all the conferences get the same number of entrants as the SEC, do you?

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT