ADVERTISEMENT

Paging Riot Squad - Ash Era Student Chants

S_Janowski

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 24, 2009
Marlton, NJ
The transformation and change to the program in 8 months under Ash and company couldn't be any more evident. I think the students need to join the party and step up their game this year...I have a suggestion for a new chant.

Every time I see Parker kick off a morning or evening workout with his chant it gets the players pretty fired up.

It starts with a slow clap and builds up quickly and then turns into something along the lines of "Ahhhhhhhhh Knightssss!!!" (It could be something other than "Ahhhhhhhh" - someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Everyone raises their hand at the start of the "Ahhhhhhh" and throws it down as they shout "Knightssss!!!". Parker then gives a nice "Good mornin'" or "Good evening'" and "It's gonna be a helluva day!'

The key here is keeping the clap in unison throughout the student section. I think this would be an awesome chant if 10K students pulled it off. There's two week until the first home game - can we get the wheels in motion for this?

***Also while I have your attention - please make sure the $uck PSU chant does not live another day. It is bush league and moronic to chant while we're not even playing them. Also they beat our @ss the past two games so another reason it makes us look pathetic.

I hate PSU as much as anyone but let's grow up.

It would be nice if pulled off but we can't even get the RU chant down. Too many moving parts with the clapping...

The later suggestion I don't think it's bush league but I understand why you're opposed.

It would be nice if pulled off but we can't even get the RU chant down. Too many moving parts with the clapping...

The later suggestion I don't think it's bush league but I understand why you're opposed.

I don't think it would be that difficult if it's a constructed chant by the student group. Make it a set 8 claps or something. Honestly if we can't pull off semi-creative chants then we don't belong in the BIG10.

The RU chant has been discussed ad nauseam here so I don't want this thread to be about that. That chant became rushed and disorganized once the student section was moved to the end zone and instead of the corner of the stadium pre-expansion. Also the sound gets lost the way they are positioned. I'm afraid it might be too late to repair that one except for the BBALL games.

As far as the PSU chant - it's moronic and makes us looks pathetic. No way around it. And I'm 27 for the record so this isn't a "get off my lawn" opinion.

Yea that round thing with the hole in the middle won't work; what do you call it a wheel?[roll]

I've been attending Rutgers athletic events, especially football, for well over 50 years. Unlike other schools with a rich history, Rutgers has no signature song or signature cheer that the student body has inherited or that it's fan base does well or that defines the marching band ( if you'll excuse the expression).

The RU chant,which has so much potential, has become an embarrassment . How hard is it to choreograph a rhythmic RU cheer amongst the cheer squad, student section and fans. Instead it has become a race , one section answering U before the other section has finished its R. Obviously, it's beyond this current generation.

We don't even sing the same alma mater.

And you want to introduce a new cheer. Good luck with that.

And get off my lawn.

The RU chant,which has so much potential, has become an embarrassment . How hard is it to choreograph a rhythmic RU cheer amongst the cheer squad, student section and fans. Instead it has become a race , one section answering U before the other section has finished its R. Obviously, it's beyond this current generation.
I don't think it's a generational thing since it's not like every other school is having the same problem with current students, I think it got this way because of the huge influx of bandwagoners after the 2006 Louisville win. I was a student at the time, and I remember the chant sounding more correct before that game when you could just walk up to the stadium with your Rutgers ID and then comfortably sprawl out across a couple rows in the student section. After that game, suddenly the student section was packed and there were thousands of students now coming to games that weren't there beforehand to hear how the chant is actually supposed to sound.

I love the idea. Would be pretty cool if pulled it off. The slow clap part wouldn't be too difficult. The chat would be difficult at first but I'm pretty certain everyone would get it after a few games of Riot Squad did their best to bring awareness to it.

Added bonus. If u can get everyone to put arms up during "ahhhh" and then pull it down into a quarter squat position while screaming "Knights ". Would look super cool in unison . Players would love that I'm sure

Couple Things here.

The Ahhhhhhhh Knigths is a great idea.... This is similar to what Ohio State does with the students and the hand movement drill on the whistle at the end of pregame.

The R-U Chant changed when the students moved into the new endzone. The only way to repair it is to change it back to one side of the stadium to the other side of the stadium.

I also think maybe it is time to consider the Riot Squad becoming Capo's in the front of the sections leading the cheers. I have seen this done first hand in Soccer and it works very well. It might be the only thing that will work and right the ship.

Can anyone grab a video of this from snapchat/Instagram? They do it before every workout session with Parker.

I think it would be an awesome pre-game and pre-halftime chant by the students. It shouldn't be that difficult if it's reserved for a certain point(s) and not overdone.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
The transformation and change to the program in 8 months under Ash and company couldn't be any more evident. I think the students need to join the party and step up their game this year...I have a suggestion for a new chant.

Every time I see Parker kick off a morning or evening workout with his chant it gets the players pretty fired up.

It starts with a slow clap and builds up quickly and then turns into something along the lines of "Ahhhhhhhhh Knightssss!!!" (It could be something other than "Ahhhhhhhh" - someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Everyone raises their hand at the start of the "Ahhhhhhh" and throws it down as they shout "Knightssss!!!". Parker then gives a nice "Good mornin'" or "Good evening'" and "It's gonna be a helluva day!'

The key here is keeping the clap in unison throughout the student section. I think this would be an awesome chant if 10K students pulled it off. There's two week until the first home game - can we get the wheels in motion for this?

***Also while I have your attention - please make sure the $uck PSU chant does not live another day. It is bush league and moronic to chant while we're not even playing them. Also they beat our @ss the past two games so another reason it makes us look pathetic.

I hate PSU as much as anyone but let's grow up.

Alright, so three things.

The first one is that unfortunately, for Football and Basketball, Riot Squad does not comprise the entire student section (though we're working on it!). So even if we love an idea, it's not a guarantee that it'll happen.

Second thing is that I like the idea, but it's definitely a bit complicated to get set up. I can see it working as a video though, to get the students fired up.

And the final part here is that the F-State chant had mostly died out by the end of two years ago. I barely heard it at all last year, except from one or two drunken students. Connecting to the first point though, we've been telling people off for it since the Penn State game, it's just that the student body is much larger than just us. We can exercise our influence on a crowd much more efficiently at Soccer (where we are the whole student section) or Basketball (where we comprise a much larger portion of the student section.)

Couple Things here.

The Ahhhhhhhh Knigths is a great idea.... This is similar to what Ohio State does with the students and the hand movement drill on the whistle at the end of pregame.

The R-U Chant changed when the students moved into the new endzone. The only way to repair it is to change it back to one side of the stadium to the other side of the stadium.

I also think maybe it is time to consider the Riot Squad becoming Capo's in the front of the sections leading the cheers. I have seen this done first hand in Soccer and it works very well. It might be the only thing that will work and right the ship.

I think that final suggestion would be great if we can get it to happen.

The PSU chant will never die. Never. Its ironic because at Rutgers many on the boards want to create a culture of Rutgers Athletics fandom by "growing up Rutgers". Well, many people grow up hating Penn St whether it be family rivalries, the admissions process, or very close friends who attend, before they end up being a Rutgers student. At the very least in high school. Kids hear their friends brag about penn state all the time (if you didn't know Penn State was the best school ever trust me a Penn State student or grad will go out of the way to tell you). A portion of Rutgers students don't get into Penn St which is another factor to look at.

Anyways, **** Penn State.

Reactions: RCmike
Actually, it's the reverse these days, they don't get in here. Our SATs and GPA are higher.

They just like to pretend otherwise.

And you can bet that chant will come back for that game, so long as it's not snowing, 3 degrees, and we beat someone besides Howard.

Reactions: RCmike
Fyz7wnF.gif

Bump - I logged a video of Parker leading it off from today's snapchat. Anyone know a better way to post video's than tiny url?

Still think this could turn into an awesome pre-game and pre-half chant.

View My Video

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
The RU chant will never be done well if the students are doing the R.
They are premature with their response

Just saw on Instagram the Riot Squad was practicing this Knight chant in their meeting tonight.

Kudos to them hopefully this thing has legs and the student section can get it down.

Just saw on Instagram the Riot Squad was practicing this Knight chant in their meeting tonight.

Kudos to them hopefully this thing has legs and the student section can get it down.
Great to hear they're working on getting it right. So now we can turn our attention to the alma mater, let's get this one right:

My FATHER sent me to old Rutgers ...

ADVERTISEMENT