ADVERTISEMENT

Palmquist came back out after the game

Everyone on the entire Team needs to do this and not quit until they make 10 in a row. It’s best to shoot when tired to mimic in game situations. My only fear is that Myles and others may be there until fridays game so I would take 5 in a row from some of the guys especially so they don’t miss Thanksgiving.

The lobos had a power forward a few years back that after every game hit the weight room for an hour and a half. He was actually an Australian throw in for an Australian guard they wanted as these two kids were best friends. Due to the throw-ins commitment to the weight room especially after games he's the one that played in the league. The kid worked out after every game...and in his Jr and Sr years he was a starter and was an important player on the team...and after every game would work out for Anne hour and a half. Talk about dedication and he earned himself a trip to the league.

Last year at one of the 19 practices I attended there was a foul shooting tournament among the entire team and Oskar won it. I think he was like 23-23 in the finals. I was shocked he missed both attempts. It was probably all nerves being in his first game. Ron was 0-1 and Geo 1-2 and those guys are usually close to 80 %. At least Cliff was 2-4 for 50 %.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
Last year at one of the 19 practices I attended there was a foul shooting tournament among the entire team and Oskar won it. I think he was like 23-23 in the finals. I was shocked he missed both attempts. It was probably all nerves being in his first game. Ron was 0-1 and Geo 1-2 and those guys are usually close to 80 %. At least Cliff was 2-4 for 50 %.
That's good to hear. I'll buy the nerves excuse. I was hoping he would be one of our better FT shooters

Foul shooting practice is a waste of time. Big waste.

The foul shots taken at the end of practice to prevent “suicides” is a different story

The foul shots taken at the end of practice to prevent “suicides” is a different story
Can't agree its a waste of time. Obvious case in point was Adrian Hill, who shot around 60-65% before he missed a year due to injury. He couldn't run but he could shoot Fts and he said that's pretty much all he did that year. When he came back the next year he shot close to 80%.

But aside from that, practice is where you improve shooting.

We'll chalk it up to first game jitters (although Cliff seemed fine😜) - I'm sure we weren't the only house joking that we got the only European who can't hit free throws and threes.

Can't agree its a waste of time. Obvious case in point was Adrian Hill, who shot around 60-65% before he missed a year due to injury. He couldn't run but he could shoot Fts and he said that's pretty much all he did that year. When he came back the next year he shot close to 80%.

But aside from that, practice is where you improve shooting.
You get better shooting free throws on your own time. With practice, but not at practice.

conditioning also helps free throws.

He looked a little stiff shooting vs the practice videos. Once he shakes the nerves he will be fine.

You get better shooting free throws on your own time. With practice, but not at practice.

conditioning also helps free throws.
Shooting FTs is shooting FTs. Why would it somehow help if youre not at practice but not help if youre at practice. Zero logic there lol. You were talking about shooting while tired after sprints being more useful which is true. Youre more likely to be tired shooting after practice than on your own time

It comes down getting every last minute out of the limited practice time you have.

I never met anyone who can shoot better than me in an empty gym. Means nothing.

You mean "spending time at team practice shooting foul shots", not "foul shooting practice".... "foul shooting practice" is essential, but does not need to be during organized team practice time.

The benefit of spending some time during organized practice is having coaches there monitoring and adjusting form. Once you have the form down, you need to repeat it thousands of times outside of practice to build the muscle memory.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I think there is the short term muscle memory that allows you to make shots endlessly.

spending time outside of practice in the off-season can definitely improve FT shooting. I think it is a different length muscle memory.

Foul shooting practice is certainly not a waste. I will agree practice foul shooting is different than games, ie pressure, tired legs, etc.
Agree with this.
I just reject The notion that you can fix foul shooting by working at in practice. With practice you can improve low post moves or defending away from the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT