ADVERTISEMENT

Palmquist

Said the same thing in the game thread....surprised he got no minutes until garbage time.

I was surprised he didn't get in earlier as well. Reiber was the benefactor but I'd like to see them both get some minutes. He did have one nice drive and dish

Coach is just giving guys a shot to see what he has. No one is gonna want to hear it but it looks like we’ve treated these two games as scrimmages.
Might as well experiment and test things out in games you know you're going to win

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I think guys need to produce whenever they get the opportunity. I think he will get on track but the slow start made it difficult to substitute the more experienced guys. Pike appears to like Mawot a bit more and he’s picked up some scraps in his limited time. I like what Reiber has done as well. I’m hoping Palmquist is as good as advertised?

It is so early, but I am mildly disappointed that with Baker out vs. FDU we went with a 7 man rotation basically.
Missing Baker and McConnell is tough. The only plus is that these guys will get better with more playing time so when Geo comes back; maybe it helps? I agree with you though. We look a bit choppy out there. Thank god for young and Harper!

Without Geo we only have 10 scholarship players as Caleb is also out. We played 8 guys at least 13 minutes. Our 5 starters all played at least 22 minutes. Johnson played 15, Mag played 17 and Reiber played 13. Palmquist and Doucoure only played 3 minutes each. Many teams only play an 8 man rotation. When Geo returns we will have 9 and I think Palmquist will have some games with more minutes as well.

Young had a good first half with six assists. Just one in the second half as he was looking for his shot more and playing playground basketball to some extent. The announcers were very pro-Rutgers, but they commented on the somewhat aimless and formless play for part of the second half. Wasting much of the shot clock, not setting things up and jacking up prayers as the shot clock wound down. FDU actually cut the lead to 66-55 before we began playing more as a team and FDU got tired. Not our best performance. The announcers kept saying, they really, really miss Geo. Mulcahy just couldn't match his opening day performance, though he played a good floor game with 8 rebounds, four assists and two blocks. Cliff was not as much a presence--it was Myles' turn.

I would have liked to see us work on some sets to get Palmquist and Mulcahy 3-point attempts. They seem to be our best 3-ball shooters and at some point we may need 3s.. it would be nice to see some effort to work on that in game conditions. Obviously, Harper's 3 was great today.. I am just going by the rumours on Palmquist and stats from the last year.

I would have liked to see us work on some sets to get Palmquist and Mulcahy 3-point attempts. They seem to be our best 3-ball shooters and at some point we may need 3s.. it would be nice to see some effort to work on that in game conditions. Obviously, Harper's 3 was great today.. I am just going by the rumours on Palmquist and stats from the last year.
Mulcahey is definitely not one of our best 3 point shooters, and never will be. Palmquist might be, but we don’t know yet.

Reactions: RUonBrain and RU23
Mulcahey is definitely not one of our best 3 point shooters, and never will be. Palmquist might be, but we don’t know yet.
33.3 % last year.. 2nd to Harper 34.9% among returning players... Yeboah was 35.2%

Do you really think I would have said that without having the stats on my side?

Did you really decide you should just say that without looking up the stats?

Reactions: GSGS and Unionst
33.3 % last year.. 2nd to Harper 34.9% among returning players... Yeboah was 35.2%

I'd rather Geo, Harper, Young, or Mathis shoot a 3 in a big spot. Paul's sample size is too small. He can't create his own shot on the perimeter. There's a reason he had so few attemps. You should watch the games rather than obsessing over stats.

There are at least 5 guys on this team I‘d want putting up 3s before Mulcahy. You can quote percentage stats, but have you looked at how many shots each has taken? Sample size matters, as does the role each player is asked to play.

Don’t get me wrong....Paul plays a huge role on this team. But that role is not the catch & shoot 3 point scorer. He will get his points driving into the lane. He will dish 3s to other guys.

Reactions: RU23 and Kbee3
There are at least 5 guys on this team I‘d want putting up 3s before Mulcahy. You can quote percentage stats, but have you looked at how many shots each has taken? Sample size matters, as does the role each player is asked to play.

Don’t get me wrong....Paul plays a huge role on this team. But that role is not the catch & shoot 3 point scorer. He will get his points driving into the lane. He will dish 3s to other guys.

Really.. you wouldn't want to see what the guy who went 8 for 24 could do rather than the guy who went, say, 19 for 64? What if the guy who shot 8 for 24 from 3 also did a lot better with 2 pointers, percentage-wise?

yes.. I want to see Mulcahy shoot more.. and more 3 point attempts. If his 33% was no fluke based on only 24 attempts.. then it makes sense to find out if he can do that.. or better.. a year later with more attempts. Harper has the better argument.. having a better 3 point average last year with more attempts.. but my argument is what we could have seen in these last two games to see if we can add 3-point options in Mulcahy and Palmquist.

And since Mathis supposedly worked hard on his 3 pointer.. include he and Young in the evaluation as well. But if you are going to have people work to put up 3s instead of 2s.. they better get closer to 40%... and does anyone on Rutgers take enough 3s to get to that point? Or do we take em so infrequently.. and with so many different shooters.. that no one will get enough game time experience with the 3 to get to 40%?

We had 2 "easy" games.. two opportunities to show some effort to work on threes... would have been nice.

Reactions: ruready07
Really.. you wouldn't want to see what the guy who went 8 for 24 could do rather than the guy who went, say, 19 for 64? What if the guy who shot 8 for 24 from 3 also did a lot better with 2 pointers, percentage-wise?

yes.. I want to see Mulcahy shoot more.. and more 3 point attempts. If his 33% was no fluke based on only 24 attempts.. then it makes sense to find out if he can do that.. or better.. a year later with more attempts. Harper has the better argument.. having a better 3 point average last year with more attempts.. but my argument is what we could have seen in these last two games to see if we can add 3-point options in Mulcahy and Palmquist.

And since Mathis supposedly worked hard on his 3 pointer.. include he and Young in the evaluation as well. But if you are going to have people work to put up 3s instead of 2s.. they better get closer to 40%... and does anyone on Rutgers take enough 3s to get to that point? Or do we take em so infrequently.. and with so many different shooters.. that no one will get enough game time experience with the 3 to get to 40%?

We had 2 "easy" games.. two opportunities to show some effort to work on threes... would have been nice.
Utmost respect for your fandom. And I respect your research.

But if you want Paul shooting more 3s, you Just don’t understand this team.

Utmost respect for your fandom. And I respect your research.

But if you want Paul shooting more 3s, you Just don’t understand this team.
No offense, but we only had 2 returning players who had shot over 30% from 3. Paul was one of them. And the sub-30% took many more shots, mostly. They proved they couldn't surpass 30% for a whole season. Happy to give em another shot.. but, yes, I want to guys who shoot it the best taking those shots.

Geo shot 28% from long range last year after being in the mid 30s the poor two. The thumb was probably the cause of some of it, but he was 17-67 before the injury. I still want him taking threes.

Paul needs to be ready to pull the trigger when he catches a pass with space. But 24 attempts over 31 games is a very small sample size to decide he is one of our best 3 point shooters.

Mathis was 14-42 from 3 starting with the Nebraska game, where he went 0-2. For the year, he was just under 30%. He improved his shot and is capable of knocking them down too.

No offense, but we only had 2 returning players who had shot over 30% from 3. Paul was one of them. And the sub-30% took many more shots, mostly. They proved they couldn't surpass 30% for a whole season. Happy to giv em another shot.. but, yes, I want to guys who shoot it the best taking those shots.
Since you're the only person who thinks this way, including player and staff, have you considered your reasoning may be flawed?

Reactions: rubaseball78
Four players got over 30 minutes tonight, I would have thought it could have been spread around a little more, at least late in the game. When Geo comes back there will be less minutes to go around. Reality is right now Palmquist looks a little lost so I would have played Omoruyi and Mag more to develop them as they will help the team this year.

Any chance playing Oskar in the first game and then Rieber in the second was the plan all along? Give them both a chance at decent minutes.

Reactions: knight82
Four players got over 30 minutes tonight, I would have thought it could have been spread around a little more, at least late in the game. When Geo comes back there will be less minutes to go around. Reality is right now Palmquist looks a little lost so I would have played Omoruyi and Mag more to develop them as they will help the team this year.
Palmquist has hardly played. It’s a bit early to say he looks a little lost.

Paul isn't as bad of a shooter as some of you are implying. He does need to shoot more especially if left wide open. That was an issue last year. If he passes up too many open shots it is bad for the offense. He needs to be a willing shooter and did look more aggressive game one which was a good sign. It will open up his driving and passing more. If he never shoots the D will sag off and clog up everything

Is hitting a free throw harder than hitting a 3-wood cleanly? Will RU continue its rep for worst free throw %?

Ben Simmons was 33.3% from 3 in college...
Anyone care to guess how many he made?

People wanted to run Mathis out of town after his first collegiate game. Most people here have no idea what they're talking about.

So true. We have a lot of knowledgeable fans but we also have a lot of dopes. I guess you can say that about all fan bases...lol

Reactions: Zak57 and Scangg
I missed the game. Did we play with more pace? with no Geo and more Mathis/Young on ball

I missed the game. Did we play with more pace? with no Geo and more Mathis/Young on ball
It was the Harper and Young show. We went on a 20-2 run (something like that) to close out the 1st half. Check the box score for their specific stats. We had too much size and speed for them.

It was the Harper and Young show. We went on a 20-2 run (something like that) to close out the 1st half. Check the box score for their specific stats. We had too much size and speed for them.
Half court offense is still an issue. In transition, they can be scary good with the right five players out there. Defense is good in half court when they up the intensity. I believe Pike pressed once the whole game and got a turnover at the very beginning of the game...

People wanted to run Mathis out of town after his first collegiate game. Most people here have no idea what they're talking about.

... and some wanted to run Jacob Young out of town early last year after his first couple of appearances ... and I must admit that I was one of them.

Since you're the only person who thinks this way, including player and staff, have you considered your reasoning may be flawed?
That difference was the reason for teh comment.

Am I to assume you do NOT want to see Rutgers practicing half-court sets (in easier games) designed to get someone a three point shot? Everyone does it to us.. you don't want to see us do it to someone else? You are happy with sub-30% 3-point shooting from guys forced to create their own shots?

You speak of Geo's heroics and 3-point shots.. but what if he had hit a couple more of his threes each game and shot, say, 35% from 3? He wouldn't have needed to hit those buzzer-beaters.. his game-winning move would be watching the clock tick down.

This thread was ostensibly about Palmquist.. who is rumored to be a great 3-point shooter. YES.. I want to see Rutgers work to get him.. and others.. 3-point shots. They shouldn't have to create their own 3-point shots. Mulcahy turns down open three-pointers in favor of passing.. a bit too much imho. He had one of those last night... I have no idea what the coaches think of that. I can only say what I think of it. And.. yes.. I'd rather run a play for a 33% shooter than those under 30%. I must be insane.

Hopefully the point is moot and Harper keeps hitting 40% from 3.. that would be awesome. But at some point we will need other options and maybe we should work on those sets to crteate shots.

Reactions: Knight Ed
Yup. Much of this board wanted to run Jacob Young out of Piscataway early last year and he had Big 12 experience.

Lets try to give Palmquist and the other frosh some time to develop.

I would be the first to admit I wanted to flat out cut Young from the team, without
reservations. Shows what a dope I was

That difference was the reason for teh comment.

Am I to assume you do NOT want to see Rutgers practicing half-court sets (in easier games) designed to get someone a three point shot? Everyone does it to us.. you don't want to see us do it to someone else? You are happy with sub-30% 3-point shooting from guys forced to create their own shots?

You speak of Geo's heroics and 3-point shots.. but what if he had hit a couple more of his threes each game and shot, say, 35% from 3? He wouldn't have needed to hit those buzzer-beaters.. his game-winning move would be watching the clock tick down.

This thread was ostensibly about Palmquist.. who is rumored to be a great 3-point shooter. YES.. I want to see Rutgers work to get him.. and others.. 3-point shots. They shouldn't have to create their own 3-point shots. Mulcahy turns down open three-pointers in favor of passing.. a bit too much imho. He had one of those last night... I have no idea what the coaches think of that. I can only say what I think of it. And.. yes.. I'd rather run a play for a 33% shooter than those under 30%. I must be insane.

Hopefully the point is moot and Harper keeps hitting 40% from 3.. that would be awesome. But at some point we will need other options and maybe we should work on those sets to crteate shots.
You're right. Everyone else is wrong. I'm bored of this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT