ADVERTISEMENT

Parent of Indiana Player with Covid

"Unfortunately this virus hit my son very hard compared to most of his teammates. Here was a kid in perfect health, great physical condition and due to the virus ended up going to the ER because of breathing issues. After 14 days of hell battling the horrible virus, his school did additional testing on all those that were positive. My son even recieved extra tests because he was one of the worst cases.

"Now we are dealing with possible heart issues! He is still experiencing additional symptoms and his blood work is indicating additional problems. Bottom line, even if your son’s schools do everything right to protect them, they CAN’T PROTECT THEM!!

"I pray my son recovers from this horrible virus and can lead a healthy normal life!!

Reactions: Greg2020
Only One player known because the mother went public. You have no idea how many others are keeping it as a private medical issue.
Neither do you. You are being a bit alarmist on this. Some people have co-morbitities. Some are evident, and some are not so evident. He may have an underlying issue. But all of this is just speculation. Nothing to freak out about at this point. It is sad for the young man and his family indeed.

Neither do you. You are being a bit alarmist on this. Some people have co-morbitities. Some are evident, and some are not so evident. He may have an underlying issue. But all of this is just speculation. Nothing to freak out about at this point. It is sad for the young man and his family indeed.

sure, what kind of fantasy world are you living in to think that a college player experiencing serious medical issues and possibly heart issues due to Covid is Not a Negative.

sure, what kind of fantasy world are you living in to think that a college player experiencing serious medical issues and possibly heart issues due to Covid is Not a Negative.
You are putting words in my mouth and extrapolating. I basically said it was a negative for this young man and his family. But will not extrapolate it to football generally. If there are more cases like this--then sure, it does not look good for football. But one? No.

You are putting words in my mouth and extrapolating. I basically said it was a negative for this young man and his family. But will not extrapolate it to football generally. If there are more cases like this--then sure, it does not look good for football. But one? No.

This story was already picked up by Sports Illustrated, other outlets will pick it up. Other parents will read it and many will probably agree that 1 year of football may not be worth the risk of long term medical issues...especially in a sport with overweight 290 -330 pounders who may be at a higher risk. Overweight is a Huge risk factor.

So, the fact that it is only one (known) does not matter. That's why I said, "It's not a positive for football this year".

We disagree, that's fine.

You're talking to a guy who said in another thread that the RU players who attended the party should be kicked out of the program lol.

Geezus. We are really scraping barrels here. Any third cousins once removed we need to be updated on?

Reactions: Spare130
I do get concerned about the other effects. Jules Henninburg (Former RU lax player and player for the PLL Redwoods) had to sit this season d/t a heart issue attributed to COVID.

If doctors don’t know all the side effects yet or what to look for after there may be longer term risks.

This story was already picked up by Sports Illustrated, other outlets will pick it up. Other parents will read it and many will probably agree that 1 year of football may not be worth the risk of long term medical issues...especially in a sport with overweight 290 -330 pounders who may be at a higher risk. Overweight is a Huge risk factor.

So, the fact that it is only one (known) does not matter. That's why I said, "It's not a positive for football this year".

Good post.

Linemen getting this virus is worrisome.
Literally on the front line! Face to face and wrestling with each other. Sweat, blood and spit all over the place.
Hard for me to think that this season will be happening. Way too many problems.
How about liability issues for the schools?

Vaccine coming in the fall, if anything football will be pushed into November. Winter sports will not be greatly affected. Horrible individual stories of families being ripped apart by this virus, but everyone needs to calm down and take a deep breath and not be unnecessary alarmists.

Jerky comment.
KS- you know I love ya buddy but I feel your initial response may have come off very wrong and hard to defend. I get your point but just not a good look.

And "ONLY ONE" is really F-ed if you are the family of that ONLY One. And that IS all it takes. My kid playing and even if he was planning to play...this ONLY one, would scare the F out of me and there would be even more serious conversations in our household about playing. You don't want it to be only 2, and have your son be the 2nd...

Ugh. With this many players getting Covid, even with very low levels of complications, we're going to get a bunch more stories like this.
without a vaccine or a cure what are we going to do? Suspend the season....suspend all sports until a vaccine or cure is found...everyone hide in their homes until we have a vaccine or cure?

without a vaccine or a cure what are we going to do? Suspend the season....suspend all sports until a vaccine or cure is found...everyone hide in their homes until we have a vaccine or cure?

Nobody says this...literally nobody

But it's a great response to people who suggest that the situation we are in is complicated with no good answers.

KS- you know I love ya buddy but I feel your initial response may have come off very wrong and hard to defend. I get your point but just not a good look.

And "ONLY ONE" is really F-ed if you are the family of that ONLY One. And that IS all it takes. My kid playing and even if he was planning to play...this ONLY one, would scare the F out of me and there would be even more serious conversations in our household about playing. You don't want it to be only 2, and have your son be the 2nd...

He followed up on his initial response and explained why he said it. Why are you only dwelling on his first response?

The OP wants all the players who went to the party where the players spread the virus to go into Schiano's doghouse until they are kicked off the team. OP as usual has some nutty views on subjects.

Nobody says this...literally nobody

But it's a great response to people who suggest that the situation we are in is complicated with no good answers.
Complicated it is, no doubt but the reality is we are learning to live with this disease as humans have done for millions of years! before modern medicine, Humans fought disease off naturally and acquired immunity to them. While due to medical technology we are able to figure out diseases and how they work much quicker than ever before. Just remember back to the days of HIV and AIDS in the early 1980's and how long it took medical science to not only figure out the disease but to find medications to control it! Fast forward to today and covid19, we are talking about having a vaccine by early 2021!
The reality is we can learn to deal with this disease until we reach herd immunity.

Reactions: RocktheRac

One year????>? LOL this aint going away and a vaccine is so so. try either forever or end all sports now.

I could easily turn this around and ask, what are we going to do? Watch coaches/support staff above the age of 40 die/wind up in the hospital for the sake of a game?

Things are difficult. Lots of places tried to keep a semblance of normalcy, best they could, and they mostly got slammed and wound up shutting lots of things down.

I have no answers. I expect there will be a series of starts and stops for all sorts of activities, including sports.

Then don’t play.

Reactions: rurichdog

I hear ya, but I elaborated in my later posts. I don't need a lecture, but everyone seems to be on edge. Prayers for the young man and his family. I can understand why many athletes will opt out this year.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I hear ya, but I elaborated in my later posts. I don't need a lecture, but everyone seems to be on edge. Prayers for the young man and his family. I can understand why many athletes will opt out this year.
You're making a valid point, and those urging caution are just wusses. The time to react is _after_ several players die...say, six on one team. Or, say, 22 experience permanent lung or heart damage. Yeah, 6 or 22... Any actions taken to mitigate this in the meantime are a total softie move.

You're making a valid point, and those urging caution are just wusses. The time to react is _after_ several players die...say, six on one team. Or, say, 22 experience permanent lung or heart damage. Yeah, 6 or 22... Any actions taken to mitigate this in the meantime are a total softie move.
That is not what I said or implied. What's your point?

Also, I'd like to point out other mitigating factors. Many MSM COVID death statistics fail to take into account preexisting conditions. Folks who've previously suffered from pneumonia, heart disease, 60 or so previous birthdays, a stressful marriage, or even a flooded basement back in the 80s... Can we _really_ say that COVID-19 caused their death? Or that their death even matters? I mean, you were 67 years old? How much longer did you really expect to live? No, I believe these people should be filtered out of the death starts we're seeing. But I'm not worried... Now that all data is filtering through the WH, we'll soon have control of the numbers, and there won't really be much to complain about.

can't tell if troll post or serious.

Also, I'd like to point out other mitigating factors. Many MSM COVID death statistics fail to take into account preexisting conditions. Folks who've previously suffered from pneumonia, heart disease, 60 or so previous birthdays, a stressful marriage, or even a flooded basement back in the 80s... Can we _really_ say that COVID-19 caused their death? Or that their death even matters? I mean, you were 67 years old? How much longer did you really expect to live? No, I believe these people should be filtered out of the death starts we're seeing. But I'm not worried... Now that all data is filtering through the WH, we'll soon have control of the numbers, and there won't really be much to complain about.
again, can't tell if troll post or serious.

ADVERTISEMENT