ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chambers Out at PSU

There’s no good guys in big time college basketball
[/QUOTYour comment isn't true.Coach Pikiell is a good guy and there are many more in big time college basketball.The B1G Ten is well represented with head coaches that are well respected by their peers.

Hope this doesn't end Chamber's career. If you investigate someone for racism, and you ask enough people, you'll get evidence to support the answer you're looking for but that doesn't make it right. I don't know Chambers but he seemed like a good coach and I don't think you can be a good basketball coach if you have racism in your heart.

Reactions: hiwater
Guess it depends on who “they” is. Does the administration put resources in....“yes”. Does the student body give a damn...what I witnesssed was a a resounding “no”. Its not like it was uncool for students to go to the games, it’s more like students didn’t know or care that there was a game.
It’s a relative thing as well. I compared it to Penn State, because like Penn State, they have they have a premier football program and relatively speaking there is almost no enthusiasm for basketball. Unlike Michigan and others where they care deeply about both.
When I say "they" I mean the administration.

However, attendance is growing at Alabama games & it isn't just when Kentucky visits. I was told that they sold out the Auburn, LSU & Arkansas games last season.

Enthusiasm for basketball is on the rise in that fanbase. In fact, the Alabama Rivals site started a basketball forum for the first time ever. I was told that basketball forum is premium. Which means that the publisher of the Alabama site knows that the program is trending up with the fanbase at a level that he can make money off of a basketball forum.

There is practically zero basketball culture at PSU. It seems like most PSU football fans are Duke and/or Villanova basketball fans.

He had gotten PSU BB to a higher level, especially recently. But they were expected to step back this season. I'd imagine that they will be able to hire a higher level coach given the track record of the past few seasons. There is potential in that job, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd like them to be perennial losers in the B1G.
The job doesn't pay well, maybe $975k. I don't know what the assistant salary pool or the recruiting budget is but my instincts tell me that it is probably among the bottom three schools in the B1G.

Also, there is zero local recruiting territory. Philly is about 3 hours away and Pittsburgh is about 2 1/2 hours away.

Reactions: patk89
The job doesn't pay well, maybe $975k. I don't know what the assistant salary pool or the recruiting budget is but my instincts tell me that it is probably among the bottom three schools in the B1G.

Also, there is zero local recruiting territory. Philly is about 3 hours away and Pittsburgh is about 2 1/2 hours away.
I look for Ferry to be given a chance and last the season.
If he does a good job, be made permanent HC and signed to a 4 year contract,
But if he doesn't make a good impression, PSU might reach out
for Andrew Toole of Robert Morris, if he doesn't get snagged by another major program

Rick Pitino is doing his penance at Iona and might be willing to take the job.
Giving PSU someone that might be tarnished, but a proven sucess that might be willing to work cheaper than expected at a major conference program because of his past.
Just putting one year at Iona will look bad, but Rick and PSU might not care if they get what they want.
For PSU a proven success that can build a powerhouse and for Pitino a chance to be considered one of the best again if he builds Penn St into a top program

I look for Ferry to be given a chance and last the season.
If he does a good job, be made permanent HC and signed to a 4 year contract,
But if he doesn't make a good impression, PSU might reach out
for Andrew Toole of Robert Morris, if he doesn't get snagged by another major program

Rick Pitino is doing his penance at Iona and might be willing to take the job.
Giving PSU someone that might be tarnished, but a proven sucess that might be willing to work cheaper than expected at a major conference program because of his past.
Just putting one year at Iona will look bad, but Rick and PSU might not care if they get what they want.
For PSU a proven success that can build a powerhouse and for Pitino a chance to be considered one of the best again if he builds Penn St into a top program
You went way out on a limb with that one. Yesterday PSU announced that Ferry would be the interim head coach.

Reactions: MV9000
You went way out on a limb with that one. Yesterday PSU announced that Ferry would be the interim head coach.
Knew Ferry was named interim and feel he'll be that all season.
It's after the season I went out on a limb.
I think Toole would want more bucks for him and program than PSU would want to give.
Pitino is a reach because he just got back in College and I'm not sure if he avoided a show cause or it's still a possibility.
But I feel Penn State might just look at them after the season, if Barbour isn't satisfied with the job Ferry did

I think Toole would want more bucks for him and program than PSU would want to give.
Pitino is a reach because he just got back in College and I'm not sure if he avoided a show cause or it's still a possibility.
But I feel Penn State might just look at them after the season, if Barbour isn't satisfied with the job Ferry did
Penn state job would be a step down for pitino right now. Pitino in the Iona job will recruit itself with nyc players. And he will get some solid transfers . He will be in tournament every year and can make deep runs when things draw right.

Penn state job would be a step down for pitino right now. Pitino in the Iona job will recruit itself with nyc players. And he will get some solid transfers . He will be in tournament every year and can make deep runs when things draw right.
dumbest comment ever

Can current players on the Penn State roster transfer out without sitting out a year?

Likely not an option at this point since classes have been going on for nearly two months. Every player in the country will be able to transfer after the season without penalty per new NCAA rules.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
Totally clueless of Chambers. He wanted the kid to feel more comfortable--what can I do to help? But he was clueless in his choice of metaphor--there were any number of more appropriate things to say to indicate he had the player's back. By the same token, the player chose to view it as a trigger; he had to know Chambers meant nothing malign. But in this hyper charged atmosphere, he chose to feel offended and threatened.

Toole would want more bucks ?

He's at Robert Morris of the NEC in just about the lowest level of D-1 basketball there is.

He would crawl over a half mile of broken glass to get a Big Ten HBC job.

Pitino will never be contacted by Penn State----bad fit all the way around.

Me personally to see if he's interested my first phone call would be to John Beilein.

Reactions: patk89
Totally clueless of Chambers. He wanted the kid to feel more comfortable--what can I do to help? But he was clueless in his choice of metaphor--there were any number of more appropriate things to say to indicate he had the player's back. By the same token, the player chose to view it as a trigger; he had to know Chambers meant nothing malign. But in this hyper charged atmosphere, he chose to feel offended and threatened.
According to the presser with the PSU AD, Chambers was not fired for that. At least not that alone. They conducted an investigation and learned about other things. The AD received the investigation results two weeks ago.

According to a report...

The allegation that led to Chambers' resignation was previously unknown to Penn State and was not related to a recent story published in ESPN's The Undefeated, which contained allegations that Chambers had referenced a noose when speaking to former player Rasir Bolton.

Reactions: gregkoko
Toole would want more bucks ?

He's at Robert Morris of the NEC in just about the lowest level of D-1 basketball there is.

He would crawl over a half mile of broken glass to get a Big Ten HBC job.

Pitino will never be contacted by Penn State----bad fit all the way around.

Me personally to see if he's interested my first phone call would be to John Beilein.
>"Toole would want more bucks ?"
That would depend on the offers he was receiving from other programs and if he felt he needed to make sure Penn St would commit the funds to make gambling his career on them worthwhile.

As for Pitino , you're probably right.
But for a quick way to making a winning program , a HC like Rick might be someone PSU considers.

Iona is great for pitino because he needed a second chance, it is five minutes from the greatest city in the world for lifestyle and recruiting purposes, in a top 5 county in the world for lifestyle, and right next to his country club. I believe he is also a member at winged foot. For basketball reasons and lifestyle reasons Iona made sense.
Penn state makes zero sense it is a terrible job in a terrible location with a terrible history. All pitino has to do it wait one year and he will get any power conference job that he wants as long as it is open.

Iona is great for pitino because he needed a second chance, it is five minutes from the greatest city in the world for lifestyle and recruiting purposes, in a top 5 county in the world for lifestyle, and right next to his country club. I believe he is also a member at winged foot. For basketball reasons and lifestyle reasons Iona made sense.
Penn state makes zero sense it is a terrible job in a terrible location with a terrible history. All pitino has to do it wait one year and he will get any power conference job that he wants as long as it is open.

Correct on most counts but I do think he's toxic to many AD's.

I could see him a fit at Miami if Larranaga has a bad season .

Ditto LSU if Wade gets let go.

Correct on most counts but I do think he's toxic to many AD's.

I could see him a fit at Miami if Larranaga has a bad season .

Ditto LSU if Wade gets let go.
Maybe I'm cynical but I can't see Rick Pitino at a school that wears the swoosh. Iona is \\\ life right?

Yeah that would suck. I hope bellein opts for better weather in his old age and goes to the PAC 12 or one of the southern schools.
I hope you're right......I'd like to see him at Arizona if Sean Miller is forced to leave due to recruiting violations.... I think he's a better X's and O's game day coach than Sean Miller, and Miller always seemed to accomplish a little less than I expected considering the level of talent that Arizona was able to (legally or illegally) recruit.

Obviously though, if Miller is forced to leave Arizona, there will probably be other major NCAA sanctions to the program that many top coaches may want to avoid.

Reactions: Plum Street
Yeah that would suck. I hope bellein opts for better weather in his old age and goes to the PAC 12 or one of the southern schools.
PSU job doesn’t pay well, at least now. Beilein would command millions. Current pay I read was $950k

Miller always seemed to accomplish a little less than I expected considering the level of talent that Arizona was able to (legally or illegally) recruit.
Three trips to the Elite 8, two to the Sweet 16 and five Pac-12 conference titles in 11 seasons not doing it for you? Many people agree with you.

With maybe one exception they seemed to get knocked out of the tournament by some very good teams.

Three trips to the Elite 8, two to the Sweet 16 and five Pac-12 conference titles in 11 seasons not doing it for you? Many people agree with you.

With maybe one exception they seemed to get knocked out of the tournament by some very good teams.

I guess maybe Lute Olson set the bar pretty high at Arizona, and some here feel that Sean Miller's inability to get past the Elite 8 despite being a 1 seed in 2014 and a 2 seed in 2015 and 2017, might be considered mild underachieving, especially with recruiting classes that were ranked in the top 7 nationally in 7 of his 11 years here, including 2 classes ranked #3 nationally and 1 ranked #4... And recently he's lost to lower seeds in every tournament Arizona has been in from 2016 on...

Recent Arizona NCAA Tournament results:
2016 - 6 seed, lost to 11 seed Wichita State in first round 65-55.
2017- 2 seed, lost to 11 seed Xavier in Sweet 16, 73-71
2018- 4 seed, lost to 13 seed Buffalo in first round, 89-68.
2019- finished 17-15 overall, 8-10 in Pac 12, not selected.
2020- Tournament cancelled. Finished 21-11 overall and 10-8 in Pac12 tied for 6th. Some surprising losses in 2020... I saw most of their games, and the team's performance was puzzling at times...

Last edited:
I guess maybe Lute Olson set the bar pretty high at Arizona, and some here feel that Sean Miller's inability to get past the Elite 8 despite being a 1 seed in 2014 and a 2 seed in 2015 and 2017, might be considered mild underachieving, especially with recruiting classes that were ranked in the top 7 nationally in 7 of his 11 years here, including 2 classes ranked #3 nationally and 1 ranked #4... And recently he's lost to lower seeds in every tournament Arizona has been in from 2016 on...

Recent Arizona NCAA Tournament results:
2016 - 6 seed, lost to 11 seed Wichita State in first round 65-55.
2017- 2 seed, lost to 11 seed Xavier in Sweet 16, 73-71
2018- 4 seed, lost to 13 seed Buffalo in first round, 89-68.
2019- finished 17-15 overall, 8-10 in Pac 12, not selected.
2020- Tournament cancelled. Finished 21-11 overall and 10-8 in Pac12 tied for 6th. Some surprising losses in 2020... I saw most of their games, and the team's performance was puzzling at times...
#Facts

Like I said, many people agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT