ADVERTISEMENT

Football Pat Flaherty to be hired as new OL coach

Will help for sure next year. My one question is if this is a 1 year gig like Fridge had.

Will help for sure next year. My one question is if this is a 1 year gig like Fridge had.
You have to wonder. The guy hasn't been a full time on field coach in 4 years. He will be 67 by the time the season starts. You have to wonder how many of the recent hires are going to be still coaching in 4 years. The OC will be 60, the WR coach will be 62 and the Offensive line coach will be 71. It makes you wonder how they will be able to connect and be active in recruiting.

You have to wonder. The guy hasn't been a full time on field coach in 4 years. He will be 67 by the time the season starts. You have to wonder how many of the recent hires are going to be still coaching in 4 years. The OC will be 60, the WR coach will be 62 and the Offensive line coach will be 71. It makes you wonder how they will be able to connect and be active in recruiting.

Which means the OC is 56 and the WR coach is 58. They're nowhere close.

Reactions: PaKnight

This is Greg going all in now and not worrying about 4 years from now.

He won’t even be here 4 years from now if he can’t win now.

I wonder if he is out of touch with the younger generation.

Lasting only 4 days into the Mismi Dolphins training camp in 2019 is a red flag.

Reactions: Jimpeg
This hire make me happy, he is here to improve what we have. He is not here to recruit, he needs to make guys understand what it takes to get to the NFL!

Reactions: ldwnmas
Maybe he hasn’t coached because he was being paid to stay at home. PS, Miami was a complete s@&t show, not a good example.

No it will be fine. They can use their wheelchairs and walkers on the sideline while some GA's can wipe the drool from their chins.

• Haha
Reactions: BLewis1968
No it will be fine. They can use their wheelchairs and walkers on the sideline while some GA's can wipe the drool from their chins.
You forgot motorized scooters. We had a guy in our fire department who was 86 and was in better shape than a lot of guys in their 30s and 40s. He still drove the fire engine/ladder before retiring a couple of years ago. 67? I have ridden mountain bikes with guys in their late 60's and early 70's, and they could shred a lot of teenagers.

Reactions: RUforester72
No, we don't have to wonder. This is a step up for the program. Or maybe we should place a glass ceiling on all hires: NOBODY who's "old" gets a job. LOL

This is a great hire. The absolute best guy for the job on the field this season. I don't think its a long term thing, but what hire is in CFB now ?

Reactions: Knight Shift
In essence, the two latest hires, Kirk and Pat, will bring the question marks of the Schiano era to a close one way or the other. Either we start becoming competitive in the short run, or we continue our bottom dwelling status with excuses. Greg is on a short leash.

Reactions: ScottRU93

If I'm 66 and someone gives me a 6-figure job and the chance to not take Social Security or raid my 401K or IRA for a year or more and I'm able, I'm taking it.

Hope he raises our Yards Before Contact number. That must be in negative territory.

Lasting only 4 days into the Mismi Dolphins training camp in 2019 is a red flag.
Miami's OL was so bad that they were resistant to improvement. Also, Flores went through assistant coaches like a hungry stoner through a sleeve of Fig Newtons.

• Haha
I like Pat a lot and glad he was hired. However, for those that don't know he was an OL consultant here all last year. His son played for Augie at SJR & he knew Pat has been trying to get back into the game. Nice hire but seems weird since I would have thought KC would have brought in one of his guys.

He was hired in January and last until camp when he and HC Flores clashed. Coach Flats was one of the first people to call out Flores as a problem. We found out when he clashed with Miami ownership. It appears facts are removed if it doesn't fit your agenda.

It wasn't a problem when Grandpa Jo had a staff as long in the tooth as a wooly Monmouth. And stop exaggerating the ages of the RU coach.

ADVERTISEMENT