ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Hobbs pessimistic update on Greg's practice and operations facility, disses RU b-ball fans

Thread is a perfect explanation of how journalists manipulate people. I listened to the entire podcast and it was wonderful and when Hobbs said that, I didn't think twice about it.

Leave it to a troglodyte to take something out of context and put it in a head line. OP must want to work at nj.com

Congrats on roping in a few idiots though.

OP here. Reason for post is I was looking up the status on the football practice and operations facility detailed in Greg's 2019 contract. I came across Monday's podcast and was surprised to hear Pat's answer which I timestamped for readers and provided a brief quote. Pat's unsolicited comments about RAC fans were unexpected so I timestamped these comments too. Then I asked Pat's interviewers if a transcript of the 57 minute podcast exists. And I added a link to the podcast.

With basketball and football deeper into the offseason, and memories of the NCAA basketball selection committee fading, I guess the haters are looking for a new target today and it is me, Fat Koko.

On the, "all sports seem to be trending up," observation, a program with 19 sports can't see all 19 trending up at the same time.

Gymnastics, for example, finished 0-10 in B1G competition and finished last in the conference meet. These results come despite enjoying arguably the best gymnastics practice facility on the planet.

Rutgers should focus more on improving gymnastics. In attendance terms, it is probably the fastest growing sport in college athletics. The top drawing women's college teams are gymnastics, not basketball. I've been to some of the meets at the colleges drawing 5-figure attendance. Different crowd than other college sports. Thousands of moms and their daughters. Awesome marketing for future applicants to the universities.
And just more proof of what a got dam moron you are. Gymnastics just posted the best meet score in PROGRAM HISTORY one week ago. Their facility is nice but saying it's the best practice facility on the planet? It's not even best in the conference. Signed, guy who donated 6 figures to gymnastics.

OP here. Reason for post is I was looking up the status on the football practice and operations facility detailed in Greg's 2019 contract. I came across Monday's podcast and was surprised to hear Pat's answer which I timestamped for readers and provided a brief quote. Pat's unsolicited comments about RAC fans were unexpected so I timestamped these comments too. Then I asked Pat's interviewers if a transcript of the 57 minute podcast exists. And I added a link to the podcast.

With basketball and football deeper into the offseason, and memories of the NCAA basketball selection committee fading, I guess the haters are looking for a new target today and it is me, Fat Koko.

On the, "all sports seem to be trending up," observation, a program with 19 sports can't see all 19 trending up at the same time.

Gymnastics, for example, finished 0-10 in B1G competition and finished last in the conference meet. These results come despite enjoying arguably the best gymnastics practice facility on the planet.

Rutgers should focus more on improving gymnastics. In attendance terms, it is probably the fastest growing sport in college athletics. The top drawing women's college teams are gymnastics, not basketball. I've been to some of the meets at the colleges drawing 5-figure attendance. Different crowd than other college sports. Thousands of moms and their daughters. Awesome marketing for future applicants to the universities.
You're suggesting there should be more a focus on attendance for gymnastics vs. getting the woman's bball program following up and back to historical levels? Are you comparing what a NJ fanbase wants vs. some best in class program? ( I don't know, just asking)
Baseball is starting off rough but needs better marketing and facilities. As good as LAX is fan support seems below par.

I suggest Rutgers continues to lag in understanding how to market and promote the programs simple things like double headers featuring two different programs would help .

And just more proof of what a got dam moron you are. Gymnastics just posted the best meet score in PROGRAM HISTORY one week ago. Their facility is nice but saying it's the best practice facility on the planet? It's not even best in the conference. Signed, guy who donated 6 figures to gymnastics.
Just wondering. Can you throw just a few more insults into your posts? Pretty good otherwise .

No, no, no…don’t play the victim here. You posted an inflammatory headline for your post that was not reflective of the actual podcast discussion, especially with regard to the RAC fans.

RUskoolie, my family has donated 5 figures to RU gymnastics. You will notice I wrote near the top of this thread I cancelled nj.com and complimented the podcast, describing it as informative.

Reactions: RUskoolie
RUskoolie, my family has donated 5 figures to RU gymnastics. You will notice I wrote near the top of this thread I cancelled nj.com and complimented the podcast, describing it as informative.
Thats all wonderful but you knew what you were doing with the thread topic, which is fine, you roped in a few people. Just don't play victim since it back fired. I'm not crazy about Umme but they've done a nice job this year with scores.

You completely misrepresented the podcast and don’t appear to be up to speed on things. Greg himself said that they would no longer be relying on private donations to finance the football Fieldhouse and will instead use the significantly increased media payouts to pay for the new Fieldhouse. During the podcast, Hobbs said they are working on design, and that it wouldn’t be as elaborate.

You completely misrepresented the podcast and don’t appear to be up to speed on things. Greg himself said that they would no longer be relying on private donations to finance the football Fieldhouse and will instead use the significantly increased media payouts to pay for the new Fieldhouse. During the podcast, Hobbs said they are working on design, and that it wouldn’t be as elaborate.
I admit I do not follow Rutgers football with the same energy as many posters here. Could you point me to where Greg said the source of fieldhouse funding has changed to higher media payouts. Greg's contract says Pat and Greg need to raise the first 50% of the fieldhouse's cost from private donations to get the building going.

Fat koko I said “all sports are trending up”.
I have to admit I wasn’t thinking of women’s gymnastics when I wrote it.
I was thinking more along the lines of womens soccer Big champs. Women’s field hockey Big Champs, women’s and men’s lax making the NCAA tourney, baseball a game away from being BIG champs.
Basketball two games away from a second place finish in conference.
Football starting to show signs of life.
I really didn’t know someone was going to take me litteraly. That being said, even though the gymnastics team didn’t have a good year, with better facilities even they will be trending up.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Great idea. Rip out all the seats and make it SRO and put 10k+ in there. Thanks for telling other fans what they should do at games and what they should do if they don't comply to your doctrine.

Here's what I to STRONGLY SUGGEST some fans should do. Stop telling other fans what they should do.
Why should we sit quietly? If I was interested in going to a library I would just go there.

Hobbs should thank his lucky stars for the devotion of RU BB and football fans.
Not the brightest one out there
If it makes you that upset, drop your tickets. I'm sure someone will scoop them up - especially the basketball ones. No need in wasting your money if you don't believe. Life is too short.

Certainly being in the B1G helps athletics, but have to also give Hobbs lots of credit.
Final 2021-2022 Directors Cup Standings below. RU finished 48th which is the best in a long time and competitive or better than many peer universities.
I thought Hobbs’ interview was great. Didn’t take exception to any of his comments.

If it makes you that upset, drop your tickets. I'm sure someone will scoop them up - especially the basketball ones. No need in wasting your money if you don't believe. Life is too short.
Nobody is scooping up football tix. There's more available than ever. For the first time the 4 different guys I know who buy them for their groups are all out this coming season.i was pretty surprised.
Basketball is a different story. Thankfully.

Reactions: bac2therac
I have a funny feeling that $75 million for the Practice Facility is going to come into play in a big way as it relates to Schiano’s time here.

Reactions: Fat Koko
I admit I do not follow Rutgers football with the same energy as many posters here. Could you point me to where Greg said the source of fieldhouse funding has changed to higher media payouts. Greg's contract says Pat and Greg need to raise the first 50% of the fieldhouse's cost from private donations to get the building going.

That was before the Big Ten signed a new media deal which will pay each school $70M/year, escalating to as much as $100M. Now they will be relying on the media payout, which is probably the right strategy.

I've planted myself solidly in the "don't care" category. Pat's a solid AD, he said what he said. I have no reason to be offended by any of it.

I'm a couple years from hanging it up. I won't need season tickets for bball or football when I'm sailing the Atlantic.

Between now and then there will not be any Great Success by either program. It is what it is.
Yet you’re on a message board on a Saturday when our next hoops or football game isn’t for 6 months. I am too. Not being critical. We are die hards. Sailing retirement or not.

Sounds incredible though. I’d be listening to Jimmy Buffet while sailing.

In today’s fickle society with attendance suffering at any place that isn’t among the elite the AD should do everything he/she can do to retain anyone still willing to overpay for parking and tickets. It’s sadly a total racket.

Taking pot shots at the people indirectly paying your salary is low class but I guess the AD is a politician at heart so there you go. Part of the job….

In today’s fickle society with attendance suffering at any place that isn’t among the elite the AD should do everything he/she can do to retain anyone still willing to overpay for parking and tickets. It’s sadly a total racket.

Taking pot shots at the people indirectly paying your salary is low class but I guess the AD is a politician at heart so there you go. Part of the job….
"Taking pot shots". Did you even listen to the podcast?

Reactions: Scarlet83
The fans should stand at tip off. He's spot on. If you want to sit, then watch from the comfort of your couch at home!
I think standing at the start of the game should not even be an issue, not a concern

I hope Hobbs mentioning standing is not used as part of an excuse to move the sideline season ticket holders out and ring the court with students, after the renovation
I actually think the students in one large block can be louder and more effective

Last edited:
I think standing at the start of the game should not even be an issue, not a concern

I hope Hobbs mentioning standing is not used as part of an excuse to move the sideline season ticket holders out and ring the court with students, after the renovation
I actually think the students in one large block can be louder and more effective
The pictures that were floated here have students on the lower sideline behind the benches but nothing on the opposite side.

Yet you’re on a message board on a Saturday when our next hoops or football game isn’t for 6 months. I am too. Not being critical. We are die hards. Sailing retirement or not.

Sounds incredible though. I’d be listening to Jimmy Buffet while sailing.

You'd be surprised how quickly the Jimmy Buffet runs out. Even a period as short as a week lands you in pretty deep cut territory.

Also, every boater bar on every beach on every island is going to be playing Buffet. It's a lot of Jimmy, even for me - a guy who's the son of a son of a son of a son of a son of a son of a son of a son of a son of a sailor whose uncle was a pretty well know pirate.

Reactions: Salvi's Headband
You're suggesting there should be more a focus on attendance for gymnastics vs. getting the woman's bball program following up and back to historical levels? Are you comparing what a NJ fanbase wants vs. some best in class program? ( I don't know, just asking)
Baseball is starting off rough but needs better marketing and facilities. As good as LAX is fan support seems below par.

I suggest Rutgers continues to lag in understanding how to market and promote the programs simple things like double headers featuring two different programs would help .
Baseball isn't exactly starting "rough". Their SOS is top 30 in the country and RPI is as high if not higher as last year. People wanted a tougher schedule and this is what you get. Last season they played all of 3 games vs a top 25 (UMd). This year OOC they played 4 in their first 10 games with more coming.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
We have a fan on this very board who shouted out a sexual abuse joke while a child was singing the national anthem. Other than that we seem ok a fan bases go.

Who cares if a person is sitting or standing at tip off? Just be loud. The people behind me at both the RAC and SHI yell at me when I dare to stand up at any point in the game. It's freaking annoying.

Baseball isn't exactly starting "rough". Their SOS is top 30 in the country and RPI is as high if not higher as last year. People wanted a tougher schedule and this is what you get. Last season they played all of 3 games vs a top 25 (UMd). This year OOC they played 4 in their first 10 games with more coming.
I was strictly going by record so far. Didn't realize the upgrade in competition. Will be interesting to see how that works out for them.

Who cares if a person is sitting or standing at tip off? Just be loud. The people behind me at both the RAC and SHI yell at me when I dare to stand up at any point in the game. It's freaking annoying.
Never understood that one either.

Is it a physiological thing standing makes you louder?

Never understood that one either.

Is it a physiological thing standing makes you louder?
Yes. There are always exceptions, but when you see musicians recording rock or rap with louder vocals, how many are sitting. I think what Pat was getting at is we want our fans to be better at recording rap vocals. 😁

"The standing position also assists in good singing technique. Breathing from your diaphragm rather than from your chest will maximize the amount of air you can get into your lungs. This in turn will let you get the maximum amount of power and strength from your voice, and to control it with minimum effort. Standing allows for full movement of the diaphragm, whereas sitting can squash it and restrict its movement."

"If you are singing or your rap style is being LOUD and screaming then you are going to get much much better performances out of standing up to record. Why?

Because of the way the diaphragm works. I won’t go into detail with that here but you can Google it and see what I mean. It is actually a pretty good thing to understand when it comes to rap delivery."

The pictures that were floated here have students on the lower sideline behind the benches but nothing on the opposite side.
That is the side I sit, but not right there
If you put students there you push every body else back
That is the problem

Facilities Q&A begins at 8:36 mark.

Pat at 11:10 - "In this new crazy world of NIL where the big fancy looking things are less important today and that's good"

No update provided on the $75 million of private money Greg's contract obligates Greg to raise for the facility.

Beginning at 14:57 mark, unprompted and lasting for more than a minute, Pat disrespects RU b-ball fans, whining about unwillingness to stand and verbal abuse of opponents.

Happy to see Pat doing a podcast with Mike and Richie and being honest about the situation in his department.

Mike and Richie, is a transcript available for your podcasts?
I wasn't aware of the $75 million fundraising obligation by Schiano. If we have another year or two like last and money is nowhere near meeting the goal would it be considered a contract violation by Schiano?

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
I wasn't aware of the $75 million fundraising obligation by Schiano. If we have another year or two like last and money is nowhere near meeting the goal would it be considered a contract violation by Schiano?
Is this a serious question? His only obligation is to help Hobbs raise 50% privately before construction can start.

Facilities Review
In order to successfully compete in the Big Ten Conference in the sport of football, the University acknowledges that a new football operations center and adjoining multi-sport indoor practice facility would be both necessary and desirable. As Head Coach, you will aid and assist the Director in efforts to obtain private funding commitments to cover the final projected cost of said facilities. The University, in conjunction with the Head Coach and Director, shall develop and acquire, as soon as reasonably practicable, cost projections and conceptual design components sufficient for recruiting and fund-raising presentation purposes. Upon reaching a private funding commitment level of at least fifty percent (50%) of the total projected cost, the University agrees that it shall initiate the Board of Governors Finance and Facilities Committee approvals’ process, included in which shall be the athletics department’s proposed strategy to fund the debt service onany remaining cost applicable to the afore-mentioned project. Upon successful completion of the approvals’ process, which also shall include subsequent approval bythe Board of Governors, construction of such facilities shall commence within areasonable time frame.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Drop my tickets? Have been a football season ticket holder for 25 years. Suffered through countless home and road beat downs.
A condescending tool like Hobbs won’t change that.

Drop my tickets? Have been a football season ticket holder for 25 years. Suffered through countless home and road beat downs.
A condescending tool like Hobbs won’t change that.
Sir, you took the misinformation bait hook, line and sinker in the title of this thread. I would suggest you listen to what Hobbs said. He merely said that "in his opinion" he would like to see fans standing at tipoff. That is all. But some took it as some unholy insult and stretched it into a narrative. Some amazing fans we have.

Don't take offense at what the 1766 guy says. He has a long history of telling people how to be better fans that is kind of grating. His heart is in the right place, but he will not win over many people with his insults.

Hobbs did not ask us to stand at football games, thankfully. This is what most of us look like on gameday. 😁

GettyImages-613451570_g1kel5.0.jpg
4J5Gqxo.gif

Is this a serious question? His only obligation is to help Hobbs raise 50% privately before construction can start.

Facilities Review
In order to successfully compete in the Big Ten Conference in the sport of football, the University acknowledges that a new football operations center and adjoining multi-sport indoor practice facility would be both necessary and desirable. As Head Coach, you will aid and assist the Director in efforts to obtain private funding commitments to cover the final projected cost of said facilities. The University, in conjunction with the Head Coach and Director, shall develop and acquire, as soon as reasonably practicable, cost projections and conceptual design components sufficient for recruiting and fund-raising presentation purposes. Upon reaching a private funding commitment level of at least fifty percent (50%) of the total projected cost, the University agrees that it shall initiate the Board of Governors Finance and Facilities Committee approvals’ process, included in which shall be the athletics department’s proposed strategy to fund the debt service onany remaining cost applicable to the afore-mentioned project. Upon successful completion of the approvals’ process, which also shall include subsequent approval bythe Board of Governors, construction of such facilities shall commence within areasonable time frame.

This deal struck in 2020 is now obsolete because Schiano now says the plan is to fund the build via increased media payouts, that we will start receiving next year.

Last edited:
Pretty obvious NIL will take a lot of resources that would have gone to facility upgrades. Seems like a no brainer that with a lucrative media rights deal in the works the burden of the facilities would fall on the athletics dept. Hobbs says he’s trying to get more private funding. I think as we improve on and off the field alums will give a little more.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This deal struck in 2020 is now obsolete because Schiano now says the plan is to fund the build via increased media payouts, that we will start receiving next year.
Obsolete in what sense? We're no longer raising any private $? Haven't heard or seen that anywhere. Got a link?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT