ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Hobbs pessimistic update on Greg's practice and operations facility, disses RU b-ball fans

Obsolete in what sense? We're no longer raising any private $? Haven't heard or seen that anywhere. Got a link?

A tiny bit tangential, but... who couldn't have predicted this?

I said, as soon as the program started begging donors for NIL contributions, that this was not an endlessly large pie. For years we've been asked to pony up for facilities. Now we're being asked to pony up for facilities and NIL.

Donation dollars are very predictably finite. Absent some sort of major sugar daddy benefactor, programs like Rutgers are NOT going to get sufficient donor funds to cover both their NIL needs and their facilities needs. Especially when the returns are essentially average.

Obsolete in what sense? We're no longer raising any private $? Haven't heard or seen that anywhere. Got a link?

Correct. Can’t find the article, but Schiano basically said, support NIL because funds for the facility will come out of the media payout.

A tiny bit tangential, but... who couldn't have predicted this?

I said, as soon as the program started begging donors for NIL contributions, that this was not an endlessly large pie. For years we've been asked to pony up for facilities. Now we're being asked to pony up for facilities and NIL.

Donation dollars are very predictably finite. Absent some sort of major sugar daddy benefactor, programs like Rutgers are NOT going to get sufficient donor funds to cover both their NIL needs and their facilities needs. Especially when the returns are essentially average.

This is why Schiano said support NIL.

Facilities Q&A begins at 8:36 mark.

Pat at 11:10 - "In this new crazy world of NIL where the big fancy looking things are less important today and that's good"

No update provided on the $75 million of private money Greg's contract obligates Greg to raise for the facility.

Beginning at 14:57 mark, unprompted and lasting for more than a minute, Pat disrespects RU b-ball fans, whining about unwillingness to stand and verbal abuse of opponents.

Happy to see Pat doing a podcast with Mike and Richie and being honest about the situation in his department.

Mike and Richie, is a transcript available for your podcasts?
I didn’t hear anything like you described.

I don’t have a problem with anything he said

RU fans should be standing at tip off, etc

Thing is:

(1) I think traditions like that come with sustained high-level success (which we haven’t had yet) and/or the RU administration needs to do a better job of promoting that kind of thing (one guy - hobbs - walking the sidelines waving his arms like a chicken is not enough to make it happen). Maybe make a video that you show on the videotron explaining how Rutgers is going to start doing this. I was at a UNC football game ages ago where they wanted to start a “tar”…. “Heels” chant (just like our “R”….”U” chant). Was corny but effective.

(2) if that’s what hobbs wants then he needs to do a better job communicating that to his staff. We sit low down a few rows up from the court and not so long ago (maybe 2 years ago under Hobbs watch) we were told to sit down by the yellow jackets (and we don’t stand constantly by any means)

Last edited:
I don’t have a problem with anything he said

RU fans should be standing at tip off, etc

Thing is:

(1) I think traditions like that come with sustained high-level success (which we haven’t had yet) and/or the RU administration needs to do a better job of promoting that kind of thing (one guy - hobbs - walking the sidelines waving his arms like a chicken is not enough to make it happen). Maybe make a video that you show on the videotron explaining how Rutgers is going to start doing this. I was at a UNC football game ages ago where they wanted to start a “tar”…. “Heels” chant (just like our “R”….”U” chant). Was corny but effective.

(2) if that’s what hobbs wants then he needs to do a better job communicating that to his staff. We sit low down a few rows up from the court and not so long ago (maybe 2 years ago under Hobbs watch) we were told to sit down by the yellow jackets (and we don’t stand constantly by any means)
When I stand up at tip off of basketball games, I immediately get yelled at by the people behind me. I still do it, but I only do it for like the 15 seconds before it actually starts. People at the game need to accept it's not a public library and needs to be loud and active.

When I stand up at tip off of basketball games, I immediately get yelled at by the people behind me. I still do it, but I only do it for like the 15 seconds before it actually starts. People at the game need to accept it's not a public library and needs to be loud and active.

….and if Hobbs WANTS people to do what you’re doing then he needs to make it known

Facilities Q&A begins at 8:36 mark.

Pat at 11:10 - "In this new crazy world of NIL where the big fancy looking things are less important today and that's good"

No update provided on the $75 million of private money Greg's contract obligates Greg to raise for the facility.

Beginning at 14:57 mark, unprompted and lasting for more than a minute, Pat disrespects RU b-ball fans, whining about unwillingness to stand and verbal abuse of opponents.

Happy to see Pat doing a podcast with Mike and Richie and being honest about the situation in his department.

Mike and Richie, is a transcript available for your podcasts?
Patt sucks and it's ok to abuse opposing fans

Hobbs has been the most competent AD we've had. Mulcahey was good and needed at the time because of his political savvy. Hobbs, however, gives Department more legitimacy.

Hobbs has been the most competent AD we've had. Mulcahey was good and needed at the time because of his political savvy. Hobbs, however, gives Department more legitimacy.
At Rutgers the AD bar is exceptionally low… and by AD I mean both athletic department and athletic Director

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Just watched the interview then read this thread. This board is officially filled with drama queens and losers - that interview was absolutely fine.
Meryl Streep is one of the finest drama queens and dancing queens ever and she happens to be from NJ. Quite a few stud drama queens and kings from this state. This board is in fact full of drama queens and kings.

Reactions: rutgersal
Meryl Streep is one of the finest drama queens and dancing queens ever and she happens to be from NJ. Quite a few stud drama queens and kings from this state. This board is in fact full of drama queens and kings.
she's a ped supporter and sucks, much like many of our fanbase

He does. He literally circles the court pregame right before tip off to get people up

And as I said in my prior post - I actually put it on bold letters just like this:

one guy - hobbs - walking the sidelines waving his arms like a chicken is not enough to make it happen

And as I said in my prior post - I actually put it on bold letters just like this:

one guy - hobbs - walking the sidelines waving his arms like a chicken is not enough to make it happen
A different point altogether although I agree with. On the whole Hobbs has been very good for RU. Our athletics program has never been better.

Reactions: Knight Shift
A different point altogether although I agree with. On the whole Hobbs has been very good for RU. Our athletics program has never been better.

The results (football being the huge exception) are undeniable

Just saying - if he wants ru fans to stand more at games he needs to do something about it. Walking around and waving his arms clearing isn’t getting it done 😂

The results (football being the huge exception) are undeniable

Just saying - if he wants ru fans to stand more at games he needs to do something about it. Walking around and waving his arms clearing isn’t getting it done 😂
When the RAC (yes the RAC) is renovated, the plan is to remove all of the seats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT