ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Hobbs pessimistic update on Greg's practice and operations facility, disses RU b-ball fans

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022

Facilities Q&A begins at 8:36 mark.

Pat at 11:10 - "In this new crazy world of NIL where the big fancy looking things are less important today and that's good"

No update provided on the $75 million of private money Greg's contract obligates Greg to raise for the facility.

Beginning at 14:57 mark, unprompted and lasting for more than a minute, Pat disrespects RU b-ball fans, whining about unwillingness to stand and verbal abuse of opponents.

Happy to see Pat doing a podcast with Mike and Richie and being honest about the situation in his department.

Mike and Richie, is a transcript available for your podcasts?

Pat at 11:10 - "In this new crazy world of NIL where the big fancy looking things are less important today and that's good"

No update provided on the $75 million of private money Greg's contract obligates Greg to raise for the facility.

Beginning at 14:57 mark, unprompted and lasting for more than a minute, Pat disrespects RU b-ball fans, whining about unwillingness to stand and verbal abuse of opponents.

Happy to see Pat doing a podcast with Mike and Richie and being honest about the situation in his department.

That's not at all what I got on the practice facility.
And no disrespect to the fans.

the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

There are posters here who would take offense if someone told them they look great but their shoelace is loose.

Last edited:
There are posters here who would take offense if someone told them they look great but their shoeless is loose.
I wouldn’t be offended, I’d be confused. 😀

But yeah, some folks seem to spend their lives looking for reasons to be offended or outraged. The CE board houses many. Should be renamed the CEO board (constantly easily offended).

I've planted myself solidly in the "don't care" category. Pat's a solid AD, he said what he said. I have no reason to be offended by any of it.

I'm a couple years from hanging it up. I won't need season tickets for bball or football when I'm sailing the Atlantic.

Between now and then there will not be any Great Success by either program. It is what it is.

I'm pretty sure everyone's mouth's and hand's work the same way sitting or standing. What I got is, Rutgers basketball fans make more noise sitting rather than standing at the overwhelming majority of places.

Last edited:
Hobbs is a moron for critcizing our hoops fans

your boy seemed to get upset about something...address that...
As usual, you take bait hook, line and sinker.
Go back and listen to what he said. He merely compared our arena at tip off versus other B1G arenas and noted that the fans are standing. He concluded with, "In my view. . . . ."

He did not criticize, diss or do any sort of thing. He merely was making a suggestion. But in typical fashion, you and some other RU fans walk around your entire lives with chips on your shoulder looking to start something or find something wrong. Some of you guys belong in a comic book.

Maybe you can go pick up your girl Julie at the local Weichert Real Estate office in Louisville and have her back as an AD. God forbid our AD is enthusiastic and is suggesting people stand at tip off. He should be unceremoniously fired on the spot.

As usual, you take bait hook, line and sinker.
Go back and listen to what he said. He merely compared our arena at tip off versus other B1G arenas and noted that the fans are standing. He concluded with, "In my view. . . . ."

He did not criticize, diss or do any sort of thing. He merely was making a suggestion. But in typical fashion, you and some other RU fans walk around your entire lives with chips on your shoulder looking to start something or find something wrong. Some of you guys belong in a comic book.

Maybe you can go pick up your girl Julie at the local Weichert Real Estate office in Louisville and have her back as an AD. God forbid our AD is enthusiastic and is suggesting people stand at tip off. He should be unceremoniously fired on the spot.

He doesn't have to compare is to other arenas

The RAC crowd is incredible

The crowd doesnt have to stand because a few other do. It was a dig unsolicited

this is a hilariously small thing to have such hurt feelings about. You are a tiny man
It's also a hilariously small thing for the AD to bring up given the fan support at the RAC.
It's WAY more important for our fans to scream during the key parts of the game than the damn tipoff.

Like THAT is going to matter?

If he wants to worry about start of games perhaps he should focus on fixing the football team attendance at KO and the whole entrance production.

Seton Hall fans wore "Ruck Futgers" shirts while he was AD there. I think we knew Hobbs was a bit of a jerk from day one. Hobbs chose Pike so, of course, blame has to be shifted to fans... not that I think Pike cannot get it done.. he can... overall I was a bit shocked this team did as well as it did without RHJ and Geo. Maybe if Hobbs had changed the Minnesota game as requested the Big Ten's rep would have lobbied for us with the committee.

Reactions: Rutgers56
this is a hilariously small thing to have such hurt feelings about. You are a tiny man
But Bac is not wrong on this. Why even mention that our fans do not stand for the opening tip? Does it really matter given teh reputation Jersey Mike's RAC has as a tough place for opponents? Maybe it is the other fans who should NOT stand for the opening tip if they want an atmosphere like the RAC.

The fans are NOT a reason the team lost a bunch of home games.

Hobbs also talks about raising money and then criticizes the fans for not standing for the opening tip. It is ludicrous.

Hobbs needs to go out and get politicians and business leaders to raise money for NIL.. to SUPPORT their state U. He needs to find a way to do that. WORK.

But Bac is not wrong on this. Why even mention that our fans do not stand for the opening tip? Does it really matter given teh reputation Jersey Mike's RAC has as a tough place for opponents? Maybe it is the other fans who should NOT stand for the opening tip if they want an atmosphere like the RAC.

The fans are NOT a reason the team lost a bunch of home games.

Hobbs also talks about raising money and then criticizes the fans for not standing for the opening tip. It is ludicrous.

Hobbs needs to go out and get politicians and business leaders to raise money for NIL.. to SUPPORT their state U. He needs to find a way to do that. WORK.
He's just annoyed because he walked down along the side court before the Hofstra games raising his arms and trying to get fans fired up .. which he did but I guess he's upset they didn't cheer enough.

I'm not anti Hobbs. I like his spirit. But where was his mouth when his school got screwed by OSU refs and the NC AA committee?

Picking on your own fans.. brilliant.

The fans should stand at tip off. He's spot on. If you want to sit, then watch from the comfort of your couch at home!
Great idea. Rip out all the seats and make it SRO and put 10k+ in there. Thanks for telling other fans what they should do at games and what they should do if they don't comply to your doctrine.

Here's what I to STRONGLY SUGGEST some fans should do. Stop telling other fans what they should do.

Last edited:
And Bac you and others bitched about those sitting in 100s not cheering loud enough or standing when encouraged. For a guy who complains about the media twisting stuff to fit their agenda , you're doing the same. Maybe you want him to say football doesn't matter. Your credibility sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Great idea. Rip out all the seats and make it SRO and put 10k+ in there. Thanks for telling other fans what they should do at games and what they should do if they don't comply to your doctrine.

Here's what I to think some fans should do. Stop telling other fans what they should do.
You’re literally telling other fans what to do…

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
I took a wait and see approach with Hobbs.
Maybe it’s Hobbs, maybe it’s Big Ten affiliation, but his track record is pretty dam good ( w one exception). Theses are exciting times on the banks!
All sports seem to be trending up.Facilities keep getting better. We have a pretty good stable of coaches and more talented players.
The Football facility is coming. Going to take a little time but it’s coming.

It seems the most vocal and critical fans of our players are also the most sensitive. I can take one or the other but being both is pure hypocrisy.

Reactions: DC8690 and mildone
There are no safe spaces in this debate. 😁
Honestly I really don't care what Hobbs said. None of this "fanstuff" really matters to me. I've earned my place to be what I want with the past 45years of support.

I really don't think there are any bad Rutgers fans. We're all on the same team but I do enjoy mixing it up in our "practices" 🤗

If it was hilariously small why did Mr Hobbs comment on it
Did you listen to the actual comment? It’s really not a big deal at all. The big takeaway was that they are doing everything they can to not displace the team and fans during RAC renovations.

Reactions: Scarlet83
OP here. Reason for post is I was looking up the status on the football practice and operations facility detailed in Greg's 2019 contract. I came across Monday's podcast and was surprised to hear Pat's answer which I timestamped for readers and provided a brief quote. Pat's unsolicited comments about RAC fans were unexpected so I timestamped these comments too. Then I asked Pat's interviewers if a transcript of the 57 minute podcast exists. And I added a link to the podcast.

With basketball and football deeper into the offseason, and memories of the NCAA basketball selection committee fading, I guess the haters are looking for a new target today and it is me, Fat Koko.

On the, "all sports seem to be trending up," observation, a program with 19 sports can't see all 19 trending up at the same time.

Gymnastics, for example, finished 0-10 in B1G competition and finished last in the conference meet. These results come despite enjoying arguably the best gymnastics practice facility on the planet.

Rutgers should focus more on improving gymnastics. In attendance terms, it is probably the fastest growing sport in college athletics. The top drawing women's college teams are gymnastics, not basketball. I've been to some of the meets at the colleges drawing 5-figure attendance. Different crowd than other college sports. Thousands of moms and their daughters. Awesome marketing for future applicants to the universities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT