ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Narduzzi

RUchip

All Conference
Oct 15, 2010
6-1, top 25 with a team of players he didn't recruit. Also starting to win 4 star recruits. Amazing what good coaching can do within 1 year.

Reactions: socaldave
He;s gotten some luck his way, but he;s also had some bad luck too, losing his All-American running back during game one. I would have taken him, but too late for that now.

6-1, top 25 with a team of players he didn't recruit. Also starting to win 4 star recruits. Amazing what good coaching can do within 1 year.
Do you just make stuff up? One 4 star recruit. Played one good team and lost. Squeaked by powerhouses Cuse, Virginia, and GTech. He has a great schedule but will lose to ND and at least one of Miami or UNC. He's a good coach but Not want you guys want him to be just yet.

Reactions: Leonard23 and RUwoz
Do you just make stuff up? One 4 star recruit. Played one good team and lost. Squeaked by powerhouses Cuse, Virginia, and GTech. He has a great schedule but will lose to ND and at least one of Miami or UNC. He's a good coach but Not want you guys want him to be just yet.
Class of 2017 is off to a strong start with Paris Ford, who is a top-50 recruit nationally.

Class of 2017 is off to a strong start with Paris Ford, who is a top-50 recruit nationally.
2017? Signing day isn't exactly around the corner. Narduzzi could be fine or suck buy then

Defensive guys as a HC is very 1980s. It causes a revolving door at OC for your program (see the GS era).

Pass on Narduzi.

(But I fell Bo Pelini should be spoken to about the RU job. His track record speaks for itself)

Last edited:
A couple years ago when most here were on Narduzzi, I was for Herman (no one here even discussed him then even when I brought up the name). Narduzzi was down my lists because I prefer offensive guys to defensive guys especially a defensive guy who is likely to employ a pro style offense.

It doesn't mean he wasn't a solid choice though. He's had a nice start though and even though the competition wasn't the greatest he's done what he's had to do and you get some credit for that. He's done it the way you'd expect, on the back of his defense. His offense isn't so great but his defense is doing well so far.

It's a good year to take advantage. FSU/Clemson are on the other side of the conference and GT and VT aren't doing well. Duke will be his toughest competition. Even though it's his first year, this is a good opportunity to take advantage. So far he's done well, we'll see if he keeps it up and beyond this year too.

Defensive guys as a HC is very 1980s. It causes a revolving door at OC for your program (see the GS era).
speaks for itself)

You may have a point but I liked Schiano giving us an identity with the defense. Seems like it is a little easier recruiting players to have a good defense than a good offense.

Right now we have zero identity.

Ah no I don't.
6-1 Fact
4 star recruits. Fact. Not just according to rivals
Good coach. Fact

Time to pump the breaks. The teams they have beaten have a combined record of 7-18. They lost to the only team they played with a winning record. They have played the 88th hardest schedule in the nation. Flood and company would have been 6-1 if they played that schedule. Lets see how they do over the next few games before you start crowning them the next big thing.

Last edited:
Time to pump the breaks. The teams they have beaten have a combined record of 7-18. They lost to the only team they played with a winning record. Flood and company would have been 6-1 if they played that schedule. Lets see how they do over the next few games before you start crowning them the next big thing.
You realize the teams our coach has beaten are worse. He's 2-20 vs winning teams and that includes 2 years in the Big East/ AAC

You realize the teams our coach has beaten are worse. He's 2-20 vs winning teams and that includes 2 years in the Big East/ AAC
I do realize that but I think it is way to early to judge Narduzzi. At this point in Flood head coaching career he was 7-0 and ranked #18 in the country. He also had 4 star Nadir Barnwell committed. We all know the wheels fell off against Kent State and losing 4 out of the last 6 games. I would think you would have learned that you have to wait before passing judgment.

I do realize that but I think it is way to early to judge Narduzzi. At this point in Flood head coaching career he was 7-0 and ranked #18 in the country. He also had 4 star Nadir Barnwell committed. We all know the wheels fell off against Kent State and losing 4 out of the last 6 games. I would think you would have learned that you have to wait before passing judgment.
Good point. I just thought and still think he would have been a good fit for RU. However money talks and we have none

I agree with this. He's had a nice start and just leave it at that. Hoke had a nice first season too. After some time (a few years) you'll get a better idea of how he's doing, good or bad.

I agree with this. He's had a nice start and just leave it at that. Hoke had a nice first season too. After some time (a few years) you'll get a better idea of how he's doing, good or bad.

By the way, "he started off well" can be translated into: He was given the keys to GS's squad and managed to not completely F it up in the first few weeks against easier opponents. However, he didn't even do that - during that 7-0 start, he ran the defense into the ground, wheels came off in the latter part of the season.

If you don't remember, check out the time of possession.

By the way, "he started off well" can be translated into: He was given the keys to GS's squad and managed to not completely F it up in the first few weeks against easier opponents. However, he didn't even do that - during that 7-0 start, he ran the defense into the ground, wheels came off in the latter part of the season.

If you don't remember, check out the time of possession.
7-0 is 7-0 and 6-1 for Narduzzi is 6-1. Those are good starts regardless of whatever kind of analysis you want to put on it. Does it last? Is it a little bit of an illusion aided by an easier schedule that's all up for debate but just looking at W-Ls which is the bottom line those are good starts. Does it unravel later on and can consistency be shown, etc... those are all things you find out in time.

The day Flood was hired I said I was doubtful he'd be successful here but I just don't go on about it like others might. If you've seen my posts I also don't jump on or off bandwagons based on short term results. 7-0 is short term and 6-1 is short term but you can still say "hey that's a nice start" and leave it at that which is what I said. Over time you'll have a better gauge to find out how good or bad a coach is.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Narduzzi is a great Defensive Coach.He needs an OC that is just as GREAT. Pitt will be awesome again in that scenario.

LOL with the Flooddie spin on this...

The Floodies cannot concede that other teams with coaches this fanbase has screamed for are doing very well while we are stuck with a guy with 4 wins against winning teams in 4 years who could not recruit his way out of a paper bag...

Narduzzi is 6-1 so regardless of who he played, that's his record. That being said, anyone who thinks he is lighting up the recruiting trail is delusional. I think his 2017 class is the one that should be judged though. He really hasn't had anything to sell until right now.

Well since your discussing Pitt, I'll give you my thoughts on the subject.

Several recent changes at Pitt will have a significant impact on how Pitt football may evolve going forward.

It begins with a commitment from the Administration:

Pitt's new Chancellor made a commitment to improve Pitt football. He subsequently released our former AD, then he personally got involved (interviewed candidates that were recommended to him by the search committee) in the head coach decision and Pat Narduzzi was his top choice. He then went out to get a dynamic AD and the Chancellor again got involved (interviewed candidates that were recommended to him by the search committee). He hired the new AD with everyone knowing they have the support from the Chancellor on down to making Pitt football relevant again.

It proceeds with the right head coach and coaching staff:

Pat Narduzzi has brought "passion and enthusiasm" to the football team and made them BELIEVE in themselves.

From what I have seen from watching Pitt football for many years is I believe Pat Narduzzi is also a good "Game day" Coach. Two recent examples, Pitt was having a hard time containing Georgia Techs triple option and scored 21 points in the first half. After second half adjustments GT only scored 7 points. Note GT upset Florida State yesterday.

Yesterday Syracuse scored 17 points on Pitt in the first half. After second half adjustments Cuse only scored 3 points.

I think as Pitt begins to win more, Narduzzi (great personality) will begin to significantly improve on Pitt's recruiting.

Yes it is early in Narduzzi's head coaching career at Pitt and more time is required before a final judgement can be made on his HC ability.

In addition to following Narduzzi, I will be following the career of Paul Chryst at Wisconsin who (IMHO) is not as good a HC as Pat. Time will tell.

Lastly, you have to be able to retain a successful head coach:

Successful college and NFL programs for that matter have thrived by being able to retain a proven HC for many years. I am now of the opinion that it is worth it to pay the $$$$ to retain a good coach.

I believe Pitt football will be improving in the short and long time but we will have to wait for history to confirm this statement.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Narduzzi would have been great here. But we wouldn't have been close to paying for him. Hell he made almost as much ($905K) as Flood ($987K) in 2014 as an assistant.

Narduzzi is doing a great job at Pitt. It will not be easy going head to head with him for a recruit going forward.

at what point could we have hired narduzzi?
from what I understand narduzzi held out for a head job that would also pay his assistant staff well enough for retention.

Reactions: BLewis1968

Several recent changes at Pitt will have a significant impact on how Pitt football may evolve going forward.

Pitt's new Chancellor made a commitment to improve Pitt football. He subsequently released our former AD, then he personally got involved (interviewed candidates that were recommended to him by the search committee) in the head coach decision and Pat Narduzzi was his top choice. He then went out to get a dynamic AD and the Chancellor again got involved (interviewed candidates that were recommended to him by the search committee). He hired the new AD with everyone knowing they have the support from the Chancellor on down to making Pitt football relevant again.

Pat Narduzzi has brought "passion and enthusiasm" to the football team and made them BELIEVE in themselves.

From what I have seen from watching Pitt football for many years is I believe Pat Narduzzi is also a good "Game day" Coach. Two recent examples, Pitt was having a hard time containing Georgia Techs triple option and scored 21 points in the first half. After second half adjustments GT only scored 7 points. Note GT upset Florida State yesterday.

Yesterday Syracuse scored 17 points on Pitt in the first half. After second half adjustments Cuse only scored 3 points.

I think as Pitt begins to win more, Narduzzi (great personality) will begin to significantly improve on Pitt's recruiting.

Yes it is early in Narduzzi's head coaching career at Pitt and more time is required before a final judgement can be made on his HC ability.

In addition to following Narduzzi, I will be following the career of Paul Chryst at Wisconsin who (IMHO) is not as good a HC as Pat. Time will tell.

Successful college and NFL programs for that matter have thrived by being able to retain a proven HC for many years. I am now of the opinion that it is worth it to pay the $$$$ to retain a good coach.

I believe Pitt football will be improving in the short and long time but we will have to wait for history to confirm this statement.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

this is Pitt.. you will probably end up waiting... if Narduzzi is any good he'll take a bigger job. The ACC is BORING.. if half empty stadiums against basketball schools is what you dig then you should be in heaven.

Forward RU is a FAR BETTER position than Pitt.. marquee games, big crowds, 2x the revnue vs. an ACC team, better academics, some driveable games vs PSU and Maryland, they own their own stadium and practice facility.. and BTW.. they draw crowds despite playing in the same vicinity of 2 NFL teams that are both worth $$$ more than the Steelers ..-sg

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Not trying to be s dick here but why has Pitt lost so many coaches lately? It is a P5 job I like the town too

Not trying to be s dick here but why has Pitt lost so many coaches lately? It is a P5 job I like the town too

Because no one gives a crap about PITT football (no flame). They are a complete after thought in the city of Pittsburgh - just look at their attendance.

Wanny: Fired
Haywood: Fired
Graham: Didn't get along with the AD (and also hated our QB)
Chryst: Stayed for two years then left for his Alma Mater when the job opened, where he played and coached for many years.

Because no one gives a crap about PITT football (no flame). They are a complete after thought in the city of Pittsburgh - just look at their attendance.

LOL

I call your coach the "Converter". He will take a rivals 4-Star player and convert him into a rivals 2-star player in performance (no flame).

LOL!!!!

Look at your teams performance with all your good recruits.
Nationally, Penn State gets "NO" respect or recognition in the national polls (no flame).

With a 6-2 record, Penn State did not get "One Vote" in the Amway Coaches Poll or the Associated Press Poll.
Not "One" coach or sports writer would cast "One" vote for your football team.

The "Dominator" can't get much domination in the National Polls.

LOL!!!!

Pitt fans hope Franklin remains many years at Penn State.

LOL!!!!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyNewark51
Pitt has had a string of bad luck with their coaches in terms of having to fire and some leaving. At least in terms of leaving I think that streak might end with Narduzzi.

Heywood they had to fire because of some off the field issue and frankly I think that was a bad hire to begin with so probably better off that way.

Todd Graham probably didn't want to be at Pitt and just took it because it was P5 job and left at the first chance he got.

I think Chryst would have stayed there for awhile but who knew Andersen would leave to Oregon State and open up his alma mater and long time coaching home. It's probably the one place he had an out in his contract to be.

Narduzzi to me is a blue collar guy in a blue collar town and I think it looks like a perfect fit. I don't see him as a guy who will leave at the first chance assuming he gets the support. MSU, like Wisconsin for Chryst, would be the only place I think could be a threat. But I don't see Dantonio going anywhere any time soon barring health issues which he has had in the past. This isn't to say Narduzzi is going to be a good coach, who knows too early to tell. It's a good start that's all I'll say like I mentioned above. But as far as hopping on the first train out of Pitt, I don't see it. I think school/town and his personality are probably a good fit.

Reactions: MoobyCow
LOL

I call your coach the "Converter". He will take a rivals 4-Star player and convert him into a rivals 2-star player in performance (no flame).

LOL!!!!

Look at your teams performance with all your good recruits.
Nationally, Penn State gets "NO" respect or recognition in the national polls (no flame).

With a 6-2 record, Penn State did not get "One Vote" in the Amway Coaches Poll or the Associated Press Poll.
Not "One" coach or sports writer would cast "One" vote for your football team.

The "Dominator" can't get much domination in the National Polls.

LOL!!!!

Pitt fans hope Franklin remains many years at Penn State.

LOL!!!!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Good luck to you....Pitt may be the only ACC school i'd pull for ''possibly VT'' and you're certainly a great fan. I respect that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT