ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Kivlehan makes it to the big leagues!

As sad as it sounds, I've actually followed Patrick almost daily whether it was Everett, High Desert, Jackson, Tacoma, El Paso, etc. I thought when Tacoma DFAed him recently he was done, but I guess you can't count out someone's determination and desire to not have a boring-ass job like the rest of us. GO PATRICK!!!

Huzzah!

huzzah-o.gif

As sad as it sounds, I've actually followed Patrick almost daily whether it was Everett, High Desert, Jackson, Tacoma, El Paso, etc. I thought when Tacoma DFAed him recently he was done, but I guess you can't count out someone's determination and desire to not have a boring-ass job like the rest of us. GO PATRICK!!!
Not sad at all..pretty cool actually.

If I'm Pat, I'd leave you two tickets the next time the Padres play the Mets, Philles or Yankees.

Not sad at all..pretty cool actually.

If I'm Pat, I'd leave you two tickets the next time the Padres play the Mets, Philles or Yankees.
I appreciate your kind words but I know its kind of loserish, like the St. Louis Rams Brian Leonard jersey hanging in my closet.

Reactions: letterman
I appreciate your kind words but I know its kind of loserish, like the St. Louis Rams Brian Leonard jersey hanging in my closet.
Only if you buy a Padres one for him next. Then people will talk..."What's with that Beancounter88 dude?" LOL

Was hoping to see him play for the Mariners, but he would have been stuck behind a rising star, Seagers, at 3rd base. Glad to him catch on anywhere and now called up by the Padres. Good luck and hopefully have a long and productive career.

I have a hat for every minor league team.he's been with. I'm super excited for him to get the call. Wishing him nothing but the best of luck

Zap- there is no one here who can understand this feeling like you. Incredible to even step onto a MLB field. Just hit s HR? Damn

Wondering out loud how fast his movement through the minor league systems have happened, some kids never see the majors dedicating themselves exclusively to baseball and he's a story worth writing about on the nj.com's of the world, BUT that would be much too difficult for them to make note of this great story since it might shed positive light on RU and RU Athletics in general.

To think a former free safety (whether 1st or 2nd string at times) on a Big East/Power Conference defense and special teams, who at times looked overmatched on the field for football at times on defense, can transform to not just a solid minor league player but a "4A" and potential Major League player is a great story.

Somewhere Jawan Harris has to make a decision in his mind about how much baseball speed and talent transitions to the next level (Harris led B1G in stolen bases despite missing several games) vs football at RU....if Harris has a big freshman season this year, RU would have Kivelhan and potentially a 2 sport star at RU in Harris.

Story from the San Diego Union-Trib:

"Not exactly one for shortcuts, Patrick Kivlehan’s path to Saturday’s big league debut weaved from Rutgers football’s practice fields to a spot on the baseball team as a walk-on to a five-year minor league career that appeared to have stalled during a dizzying eight-month stretch in which he was traded to and from the Rangers, waived by the Mariners, claimed by the Padres and assigned to El Paso.

Got all that?

Good.

Because San Diego’s newest outfielder got every bit of his first career hit, a 464-foot homer that ranks as the longest blast by a Padre in the StatCast era..."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/20/padres-patrick-kivlehand-homers-in-mlb-debut/

I was in SD for training and went to the game Friday night with a buddy, another RU grad. Bad timing, missed it by one night.

ADVERTISEMENT