Malcolm Robinson (133)
Shane Metzler (133)
Andrew Gapas (141)
Jake Benner (149)
Cody Harrison (157)
Robert Kanniard (157)
Alexander Esposito (285)
Kyle Lightner (285)

Andrew Gapas is up 1st against Noah Levett (Bucknell)

Gapas wins 5-2

Benner wins 11-0 with 6 mins of ride time.

I thought RU was wrestling UMd at the RAC today. What is this "patriot open" all about?

I just looked at the Rutgers wrestling schedule to see what comes up for the knights after today (if there actually is a match today). The answer seems to be "nothing." There was nothing listed for the rest of the month. The wrestling schedule seems to be very disjointed - a couple of tournaments in early November, one match (possibly) in December, then nothing till another tournament in January. There is no flow to it, nothing to get people like me and many others who aren't already wrestling fans involved in one of RU's most successful sports programs.

Thanks.

Open tournaments don’t appear on the official schedule. This one has a lot of our backup wrestlers. Starters at the RAC tonight. So far only Harrison has lost, to a pretty good guy from Penn. . Both of our 285 guys have byes in first round.

I thought RU was wrestling UMd at the RAC today. What is this "patriot open" all about?

I just looked at the Rutgers wrestling schedule to see what comes up for the knights after today (if there actually is a match today). The answer seems to be "nothing." There was nothing listed for the rest of the month. The wrestling schedule seems to be very disjointed - a couple of tournaments in early November, one match (possibly) in December, then nothing till another tournament in January. There is no flow to it, nothing to get people like me and many others who aren't already wrestling fans involved in one of RU's most successful sports programs.

Thanks.

Ecojew-today's Patriot open is, for Rutgers, a chance for the guys that are redshirting or back-ups to wrestle in a tournament. Wrestling has plenty of "open" tournaments that allow redshirts and backups to compete. Tonight's match is as scheduled against Maryland. November and December schedules are light on almost all programs. You have Turkey day, X-mas, finals. Jan thru March is a packed schedule.....

Thanks to those who replied. I guess I'm used to sports with more head-to-head competition in which a team wins or loses. Wrestling seems to operate differently as I've noticed that the real wrestling fans who post on this board seem to be very tuned in to the many tournaments that occur during the season.

Kanniard moves into the quarterfinals with 17-6 MD over Taylor Brown (Army).

He'll face Ethan Karsten (American) who MVB beat 9-3 at the Navy Classic

I wonder how much Lightner weighs now as he started the season at 197. I know he is going to be a project but he was very good his junior year in HS and then got hurt but it's been a curious journey since then.

Kanniard made it to finals!
Metzlars wrestling for 3rd
Esposito still wrestling possible 5th

That is one hell of a win for Kanniard against Luke Weiland. He’s won several matches at Ncaa’s the last couple of years. Does anyone know what the score was when he pinned him?

Reactions: MS-RU
That is one hell of a win for Kanniard against Luke Weiland. He’s won several matches at Ncaa’s the last couple of years. Does anyone know what the score was when he pinned him?
Looks like 5-2, Weiland. Another kid from Army in the finals who is also very tough.

Reactions: MS-RU and brentx35
Thanks to those who replied. I guess I'm used to sports with more head-to-head competition in which a team wins or loses. Wrestling seems to operate differently as I've noticed that the real wrestling fans who post on this board seem to be very tuned in to the many tournaments that occur during the season.
NCAA allows 16 competition dates for a team for wrestling. Any single day event counts as a date. Any tournament, whether one or two days, counts as one. And, any two days of wrestling back to back count as one, I believe.

A lot, probably most, wrestling programs schedule an early season tournament, a holiday tournament, a few duals before the holidays, and most of their duals between the first week of January and the last week of February.

Now, those are all, or mostly, "varsity" events. Other wrestlers, like non-starters, redshirts, etc. can go to other events, without it counting against the 16 competition dates. However, they have to pay their own way, cannot be coached by a member of the wrestling staff and can't be "attached" to the school in any way. As someone else mentioned, it's a good way for them to gain experience.

While it might seem a little disjointed, it's actually better than other sports, because in other sports, the non-starters/redshirts can't do much but ride the pine.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT