ADVERTISEMENT

Patton never had possession!

Ruthinking

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2011
i just watched the replay. That was a bad call. It should not have been ruled a fumble. It was an incomplete pass.

Never even reviewed.
Shame on the B1G officiating crew.

What's the B1G rule? We had 0 TO's left at the time and Ash was all over the officials. Gotta imagine we would have taken a review if we could have, no?

I thought he had it . Better gripe is why are we running that play in that situation ? Just run the ball and punt or throw a screen pass .

I thought he had it as well. Corralled it against his chest with one hand and took 3 steps. Good play by the DB to keep fighting

I thought he had it . Better gripe is why are we running that play in that situation ? Just run the ball and punt or throw a screen pass .

I really had to question the play call.
It's 3rd down and 17 yards and were are sending Patton out for a 5 yard pass ? WTF
Might as well just run up the middle and set up for a punt.

Also on the post game show Malewski mentioned that "IF" Patton made the catch the whistle should have been blown do to his forward motion being stopped. In fact he was being pushed backward. Whistle would have negated the fumble.
Total BS for a non- review by the Officials.

At a minimum, it deserved a look. Also, it was unfortunate that wasn't whistled at forward possession.

Onward and upward.

I couldn't tell, but that first LSU play was a joke. Did I miss something? The guy looked a solid foot short

Here's my take. Laviano never should have thrown the ball in that situation to Patton. We needed 19 and Patton was about six yards beyond the line coming back to the ball with a LB in his back pocket. Never had a chance at a first. Forward progress didn't factor into the ref's whistle as much as usual because Patton was running toward the LOS, not away from it. It was a bad decision by CL on who to throw it to.

Here's my take. Laviano never should have thrown the ball in that situation to Patton. We needed 19 and Patton was about six yards beyond the line coming back to the ball with a LB in his back pocket. Never had a chance at a first. Forward progress didn't factor into the ref's whistle as much as usual because Patton was running toward the LOS, not away from it. It was a bad decision by CL on who to throw it to.
That's what happens when you have a noodle armed qb who makes bad decisions

Reactions: redking
Even if he had it, wasn't there forward progress?
This was my gripe in the stands and even after I watched the replay. If it was a catch, it was caught on the 29 yd. line. The fumble didn't occur until he went backwards to about the 24 to 25 yd. line. Apparently the B1G refs have a different definition of forward progress than the rest of the football playing world.

It was a huge play in the game and they blew it big time. Forward progress is a subjective call, but not when the player is stopped and driven back 4 to 5 yds. than it's simply an objective call. You can't be driven back 4 to 5 yds. and not have your forward progress stop as the rules state.

Last edited:
i just watched the replay. That was a bad call. It should not have been ruled a fumble. It was an incomplete pass.

I watched the replay also. Was absolutely a catch, as he had the ball secured against his body with one hand - he should've put his other hand on the ball to better secure it. Also, didn't think his forward progress had been stopped, as he was essentially wrangling with the defender over the ball and not being pushed back with no chance of escape by the defense. Bad play call, IMO, but definitely a fumble.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Boy, I don't see a catch. I re-watched the replay in slo-mo and I don't think he had possession. The defender and Patton were fighting for the ball and it was juggled by Patton. I don't see a catch here.

Reactions: RUMBA-JK
I watched the replay also. Was absolutely a catch, as he had the ball secured against his body with one hand - he should've put his other hand on the ball to better secure it. Also, didn't think his forward progress had been stopped, as he was essentially wrangling with the defender over the ball and not being pushed back with no chance of escape by the defense. Bad play call, IMO, but definitely a fumble.
See the video posted in the "really pissed" thread. Where he caught the ball is 5 yards down the field from where he fumbled. His forward progress was stopped.

ADVERTISEMENT