ADVERTISEMENT

Penn Relays: Can Rutgers track win the marquee event? Finals Saturday 5:55pm

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Looks like the RU mens 4x400 will place 2nd in the qualifiers, behind only favorite Auburn. Was only .4 second behind.
Hope they can give it a good run tomorrow for the Championship. 3:08:17 was the time today with Burgess as anchor and Brown as the 2nd leg.

Used to go there when I was a kid. I will never forget the sound the crowd makes when a great runner gets going in the 4 x 400

Reactions: RUTrack94
RU held out its second best runner but the question is did Auburn or other teams do the same.

I ran there '72 -'74. In '72 we brought back the wheel and it is still hanging proudly in our HS. I was an alternate as a soph and was this close to getting the watch. Back then some tracks were still cinder and the all weather tracks were hard as hell. That track was like running on air. Got my PR there and John Moon asking me to come to Seton Hall. BTW one of the most deplorable way's to treat someone was how SH treated John Moon and got rid of the track team, one of the best coaches and teams in the country at that time.

don't follow college track and field much, but I read that RU has a very good chance of
capturing a premier event, the 4 x 400 mens relay

we led in the elimination race yesterday, and got nipped at the wire by Auburn......Auburn being
the favorite.....

but, RU held out one of their best runners for that, and he will be running today

an article listed the final at 6 pm....... the tv listing has the Penn relays on starting at
12;30.....but switching to the Drake relays at 3:30

anyone know what network might be carrying the 6 pm race?

Just go and watch it live. It's one most underrated great sport events in the country.

Checking in ... did RU run well and place Top 5 or drop the baton?

Wow, I know it is splits but Taj had a better split then Brown.

Jermaine Griffith, Boaz Madeus, Izaiah Brown (45.95), Taj Burgess (44.82)

RESULTS
PL SCHOOL/AFFILIATION MARK
1505.gif
Houston 3:01.82
1384.gif
Auburn 3:03.52
1583.gif
Mississippi State 3:04.61
1666.gif
Rutgers 3:04.67
1635.gif
Penn State 3:05.13
1429.gif
Clemson 3:06.95
1457.gif
Eastern Michigan 3:07.71
1642.gif
Pittsburgh 3:08.43
1577.gif
Middle Tennessee 3:08.74

EVENT HISTORY

Rutgers shattered the program's 4x400 record & placed 4th in a blazing Penn Relays final, but the big story was the epic anchor leg by freshman Taj Burgess. A superstar is born on the banks: on.app.com/2FpzNnh via @AsburyParkPress

That is spectacular. The Penn Relays are just amazing. I always felt that running at Penn was like playing baseball at Yankee Stadium. Our 4 splits according to the official results were 47.4, 46.5, 45.95 and 44.82. That is moving. I coached high school track & cross country for 40 years so this really impressed me. Congratulations to RU. I hope they can do well in the BIG and the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT