ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State cancels plans for Rene Portland Commemoration

I was appalled by her conduct and views but she is dead and I will not punish her posthumously. There are those who loved her and whose lives she touched positively.Think of the progress we have made because of her if not in spite of her.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I'll leave it to PSU fans to like or dislike the decision.
There is far too much hate for one another being spread over just about every issue that affects society , so I'll not add to it by saying something about a canceled event that the RU WBB program isn't involved with.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I'll leave it to PSU fans to like or dislike the decision.
There is far too much hate for one another being spread over just about every issue that affects society , so I'll not add to it by saying something about a canceled event that the RU WBB program isn't involved with.
Like you, it isn't my place to like or dislike the decision. Penn State had to do what they perceived was best for their community. That doesn't mean I can't reflect (to a degree) on what the situation says.

I did reflect that it ought to have been possible to commemorate the positive things that Rene did, while acknowledging her failures. Which, in the end, they did (apparently) when she died and in their memo regarding cancelling the event.

My only disagreement is the comment I read that having the commemoration would somehow reflect Penn State's values or somehow disrespect the various gay / lesbian organizations protesting. That simply isn't true, if the event was held and, as I said above, acknowledgement of her shortcomings was part of it.

As a society, we need to grow to understand that virtually everyone has some shortcomings (it is part of our humanity) and also (not so much in this, but other similar situations) that it is unfair to judge those of different eras by the standards of this one.

Reactions: LtCol144
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT