ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State - Interesting Statistics from Last Night

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Penn State:13 first downs, 276 total yards and 2-of-13 third down conversions.
Trace McSorley completed only 8-of-23 pass attempts.
PSU time of possession: 22:41 .

Special teams is of minimal importance. It was just luck, the weather and maybe a little bit of home field advantage.

Penn State Sucks.
---
EDIT- lest anyone think the post was making fun of PSU, you missed the sarcasm and the point. Credit them for grinding and finding a way to win despite having a so-so night on offense. Defense and special teams won this game for them.

Source: ESPN
Adam Rittenberg ESPN Staff Writer
i

Ohio State lost despite allowing only 13 first downs, 276 total yards and 2-of-13 third down conversions. Penn State beat Ohio State despite a quarterback (Trace McSorley) who completed only 8-of-23 pass attempts and only 22:41 of possession time.

EDIT 2- changed the title because it was too provocative for some.

Last edited:
P

Special teams is of minimal importance. It was just luck, the weather and maybe a little bit of home field advantage.

Penn State Sucks.

Seriously? They just beat the #2 ranked team and you're complaining about the way they did it?

Final score determines the winner, not the stat sheet.

P

Seriously? They just beat the #2 ranked team and you're complaining about the way they did it?

Final score determines the winner, not the stat sheet.

Who's complaining? It was observations. Actually, it was an observation by an ESPN staff writer, minus the special teams comment:

i

Ohio State lost despite allowing only 13 first downs, 276 total yards and 2-of-13 third down conversions. Penn State beat Ohio State despite a quarterback (Trace McSorley) who completed only 8-of-23 pass attempts and only 22:41 of possession time.

So Rittenberg made an observation and you turned it into Penn State getting dominated. Right....
Their stats were very pedestrian to poor last night. Was just trying to have a conversation here. And the statistics don't lie, and neither does the final result. Credit them for grinding and finding a way to win.

#SpecialTeamsMatter

RU won many games in the Schiano era by winning on Special Teams. Hopefully Ash starts to put an emphasis on special teams.

Reactions: Howie'81
Stats were similar but better for their win against Minnesota.
More total yards at 471
Time of Possession: 23:11
Third down conversions: 4/15
McSorley: 19/42 in pass completions--but 335 yards.

They were down 13-3 at the half, but won it in OT. Credit them for finding a way to win.

PSU won the game with two blocked punts/kicks that led to the final 10 points - the blatant missed pass interference in the last drive also was a key factor - but who cares. We know OSU is the better team. I hate Penn St more than any other school - but this win could catapult them on their way to being a big ten and national contender. It is very possible they run the table and play in a major bowl game. Just what we needed when we are scratching and clawing for recruits....

If we knock off the #2 team in the nation with stats like that, just imagine what we're going to do to the worst LBs in the NCAA!

Reactions: ejb25
Another day, another thread by the OP. Can't go a day without starting a new one. And this one is pretty stupid even by his low standards.
He has issues or maybe no friends in life. Give him a break.

Penn State Sucks.
---
EDIT- lest anyone think the post was making fun of PSU, you missed the sarcasm and the point. Credit them for grinding and finding a way to win despite having a so-so night on offense. Defense and special teams won this game for them.

i

Your funny!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Some sour grapes on here. Look at the last OSU win with the dropped pass and clock expiration on the FG. I didn't bitch then because it doesn't matter. It's a W or a L, that's it.

Reactions: RU31trap and ru75
Not an Ohio State fan and defended PSU here but just saw that last Ohio State drive. That last? pass downfield was pass interference-OSU got raked on that one.

In addition to the clear pass interference that wasn't called, they called a horse collar on OSU that was clearly not a horse collar.

Horse Collar Tackle
ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar
of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the
shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down.

This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is
inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates
when the ball leaves it.

Since the DE grabbed him, arguably he was inside the tackle box. But even if he wasn't, he did not grab the "inside back collar of the ... jersey". There is no foul for grabbing the jersey if you don't have the collar.

Reactions: ATIOH
Agree that all that matters in the end is the W or L. Same thing as our game against Illinois. We doubled Illinois in passing yards, doubled them in first downs, more time of possession, etc., but turned the ball over and lost the game.

In addition to the clear pass interference that wasn't called, they called a horse collar on OSU that was clearly not a horse collar.

Horse Collar Tackle
ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar
of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the
shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down.

This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is
inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates
when the ball leaves it.

Since the DE grabbed him, arguably he was inside the tackle box. But even if he wasn't, he did not grab the "inside back collar of the ... jersey". There is no foul for grabbing the jersey if you don't have the collar.

What difference did the horse collar call make? It would have been 3rd and 2 anyway without the call and PSU still only got 3 on that drive.

Who's complaining? It was observations. Actually, it was an observation by an ESPN staff writer, minus the special teams comment:

i

So you plagiarized instead of naming a source to make it seem to the rest of us that you came up with this on your own. Hmmmm m

a few things in the game..
*tOSU fumbles the ball 2x in the shadow of their own goal line and recovers both.. that is PURE luck
*tOSU horrible OT strangled Sickels on big JT scramble and no call
*Bosa spears Barkley.. just like his older bro speared Hack 4x in 2 games.. no call

in the end what cost tOSU was their inablity to
1) pass block
2) get separation vs PSU DB's
3) their DL gets gashed while their DB's have their backs turned in man coverage.. I first saw that their D was light in the azz from watching Rutgers OL gash them the whole first quarter until they started run blitzing.. and RU can't throw, catch or pass block.. if you could it would have been a lot closer.

Best of luck except vs. PSU.

Flood killed you guys.. you absolutely bottom next year and the year after.. and then ascend, but your coach might be collateral damage by then. You are losing a ton of DL and OL this year... and trust me.. even young studs (like PSU now has) take 2-3 years to get good.-sg

Penn State Sucks.
---

You forgot to mention that JT was sacked "6 times" harassed all night, and had something like 27 net yards rushing! And,OSU had 2 plays that amounted to big yards that boosted their total yardage. We beat them at the LOS something that no team has be able to do this year. Even UM mentioned that at his press conference. Our OL is still very suspect or those total yards would have been a lot more.

How did you fair against the Buckeyes?

i

Reactions: Howie'81

You forgot to mention that JT was held to around 27 net yards rushing, was harassed all night, and was sacked "6 times." Even UM said they were beat at the LOS all night and couldn't move PSU's DL off the ball. If our OL was better, we would have put many additional yards on the board. It is our weak spot now and has been for 2 years.

How did you make out playing the Buckeyes?

Reactions: ejb25
How did I fair against the buckeyes? I did not play them, but it wasn't a fair match up of talent, and Rutgers did not fare so well. You and others missed the sarcasm in my post-and the left-handed compliment to Penn State. I was looking at the stats for the game, and then I saw the post from the ESPN writers summarizing the same thing I was thinking. Saw that Penn State had Barrett under pressure for most of the night, and that made a huge different, but the good special teams play by Penn State and the questionable going for the field goal as seconds were rolling off the play clock killed it for Ohio State. PSU's defense and special teams won that game. Is that good enough for you?

Some funny stats on Texas Tech's QB:

Jake Trotter ESPN Staff Writer
Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes had more passing yards Saturday night against Oklahoma (734) than Navy, Tulane and Army have thrown for all season.

After breaking the FBS game record Saturday, Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes now leads the country in passing by 682 yards, and is averaging 99 yards more passing per game than any QB in the nation.
-----------------------
But Texas Tech is 3-4, and 1-3 in Big12 play. Helps to play defense

How did I fair against the buckeyes? I did not play them, but it wasn't a fair match up of talent, and Rutgers did not fare so well. You and others missed the sarcasm in my post-and the left-handed compliment to Penn State. I was looking at the stats for the game, and then I saw the post from the ESPN writers summarizing the same thing I was thinking. Saw that Penn State had Barrett under pressure for most of the night, and that made a huge different, but the good special teams play by Penn State and the questionable going for the field goal as seconds were rolling off the play clock killed it for Ohio State. PSU's defense and special teams won that game. Is that good enough for you?

Some funny stats on Texas Tech's QB:

Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes had more passing yards Saturday night against Oklahoma (734) than Navy, Tulane and Army have thrown for all season.

After breaking the FBS game record Saturday, Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes now leads the country in passing by 682 yards, and is averaging 99 yards more passing per game than any QB in the nation.
-----------------------
But Texas Tech is 3-4, and 1-3 in Big12 play. Helps to play defense

I agree with your post which is a perfect synopsis of the game. OSU had a couple of big plays that added to their stats. Other than that, PSU's defense kept them in check. You didn't see their RB's all over the field and JT was held in check. We had a fumbled punt also and the a safety given up when the center hiked the ball over Gilfkin's head. Both lead to Buckeye points. It all evens out during a game as I was waiting for PSU to get turnover which happened at the right time.

Long story short: Penn St sucked , but they beat one of the best.
Hate saying that but the Nits won and that's the statistic that really counts
in the W-L column and B1G standings.
( someone hang me, I'm defending a Nit victory :angry::cry: :chairshot:)

ADVERTISEMENT