ADVERTISEMENT

PennLive Dumps on Rutgers Football

whatever you are trying to post is a bad link....and that's probably better for all of us. Who gives a flying crap what Penn Live thinks about anything?

EDIT: I went back and read the article after Al fixed the link. Morbid curiosity. It's actually pretty well written and does not "dump" on Rutgers. It's factual about how our hiring of Julie, Flood and Ash lead us to where we are today and compares us to Northwestern who was in a similar situation years ago and made it to the Rose Bowl.
I still don't necessarily give a flying crap what Penn Live thinks but this one was worth the read.

Last edited:
AL that trash rag, dumps on (your words) most everyone. Down to click bait articles.
Do yourself a favor, never read their 2nd rate crap.

whatever you are trying to post is a bad link....and that's probably better for all of us. Who gives a flying crap what Penn Live thinks about anything?

thx it’s fixed. It’s an interesting contrast between Rutgers and northwestern. Once Northwestern hired Gary Barnett, it took them 3 years to get to the Rose Bowl. I’m hoping for as similar outcome.

I didn't read it as a "dump on" article at all.

I think it is fairly factual, and brings up the point that we are where we are because of 2 bad hires, thrown in with the incompetence of Julie Hermann's.hire.

It is also a great comparison between our Current Struggles and Northwestern's struggles of the past. We are very similar to Northwestern in terms of story. Both school where administration cared so much about academics that they couldn't see that both can succeed and thrive without being considered a "athletics School".

I for one thought it well written.

I thought it was one of the better treatments on the subject I've read. Makes the case that RU can do it, needs to make a good hire. Offers reasonable suggestions even if you don't agree with them.
Most importantly brings some history and knowledge to the subject unlike many who can't see past the last 12 months.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
In all fairness “we” dump on RU football daily...it is frankly well deserved at the moment

thx it’s fixed. It’s an interesting contrast between Rutgers and northwestern. Once Northwestern hired Gary Barnett, it took them 3 years to get to the Rose Bowl. I’m hoping for as similar outcome.
Haha I wish...I might win the powerball before that happens in 3 years.

But I do think the historically bad offense has riled up people's feelings. I think if you take a step back...we should probably be very bad on offense like the last 3 years or earlier this year...extenuating circumstances with the firing, high school HC and a couple players sitting out exacerbated everything to go from very bad to historically bad.

Honestly I don't think it should take much for the next coach to get us back to that "very bad" level again. Solid RBs are something we've had a pretty good history of and finding a serviceable qb from the portal or recruiting along with an actual experienced college coach gets us back to "very bad" on offense. Now moving from that to an actually good offense then depends on the people hired...and I'm hoping it's someone with a strong offensive background or has had strong offensive influence and many offensive connections.

I didn't read it as a "dump on" article at all.

I think it is fairly factual, and brings up the point that we are where we are because of 2 bad hires, thrown in with the incompetence of Julie Hermann's.hire.

It is also a great comparison between our Current Struggles and Northwestern's struggles of the past. We are very similar to Northwestern in terms of story. Both school where administration cared so much about academics that they couldn't see that both can succeed and thrive without being considered a "athletics School".

I for one thought it well written.
One of the fundamental differences is that the Northwestern administration wanted to be Harvard all week, and didn't care about being a big time program on Saturdays. The RU administration wanted to be Harvard Monday to Friday, and a big time football program on Saturdays, but didn't want to commit real resources to it until Mulcahy and Schiano got here. Since joining the B1G, they just wanted to cash the checks, though that might be changing.

One of the fundamental differences is that the Northwestern administration wanted to be Harvard all week, and didn't care about being a big time program on Saturdays. The RU administration wanted to be Harvard Monday to Friday, and a big time football program on Saturdays, but didn't want to commit real resources to it until Mulcahy and Schiano got here. Since joining the B1G, they just wanted to cash the checks, though that might be changing.

I am not sold that the last part is true. Remember we were getting Big East level payouts when Ash was hired and he was paid 3 times more than Flood when he was hired.

So it was more of a bad hire than going cheap per say.

It was actually a decent article that you will barely see on NJ. Com. Even more shocking that it was on a Pa news site.

But of course, you're not allowed to state facts or stats when talking about Rutgers Football. Only allowed to say SCHIANO IS GOD.

I thought it was a good article too and illustrates the same “can do” “it can be done” attitude I feel and have given example of here multiple times.

I am not sold that the last part is true. Remember we were getting Big East level payouts when Ash was hired and he was paid 3 times more than Flood when he was hired.

So it was more of a bad hire than going cheap per say.

Actually it all started with Julie Hermann. That was the biggest mistake, While a Big Ten School in Name, we didn't really start acting like a Big Ten School until Pat Hobbs Arrived on Campus. This set us back 4 years, and Chris Ash not working out exacerbated the issue. Hide sight is always 20/20. Ash on the face of it appeared as a good hire based on the resume and interview.

I still do not fault Hobbs on the decision. This is why you need a hire that has HC experience on this one. You cannot make a mistake here.

This is one of the only reasons I'm coming around on Greg a little after initially wanting Pat to look in another direction. It is instant notoriety in a coaching name, and he would likely be able to retain the guys that are red shirting and boost recruiting for next years class almost immediately.

In addition, The Big Donors will pretty much give him whatever he wants ad needs to succeed

A very fair article , in my opinion , and this point sticks out in my mind because of all the HC candidate speculation being shared and complaints raised.
"I don’t know what the answer could be in central Jersey now because the head coaching job has taken on an air of toxicity stemming from the years of chaos. Hobbs has his work cut out finding a viable hire."

My contribution is lyrics from 2019's Lego Movie 2 "Everything's Not Awesome"

This is the chorus...

Everything's not awesome
Things can't be awesome all of the time
It's an unrealistic expectation
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try
To make everything awesome
In a less idealistic kind of way
We should maybe aim for not bad
'Cause not bad right now would be real great

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT