ADVERTISEMENT

People obviously are looking at there phones more than watching the game

rubjk

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2013
There were many adjustments made by Pike. Bench was shortened. More press on defense. Team had a ton more energy and intensity. Rebounding and defense were back. In our losses we were giving up over 70 ppg.

Wisconsin is an elite defensive team. Geo and Ron are in an awful funk and their lack of production was the difference in many of our losses, especially tonight. Mathis needs to step up too.

We have issues but we aren’t an awful team and Pike doesn’t suck.

Injuries and no fans have also really hurt us as has the lack of out of conference games.

I think we will be better in the second half of the season if we can get healthy and send Geo and Ron to a sports psychologist and get their confidence back.

Second half of big ten schedule is also against the teams hat likely finish 8-14 in standings, that helps more than any sports psychologist

There were many adjustments made by Pike. Bench was shortened. More press on defense. Team had a ton more energy and intensity. Rebounding and defense were back. In our losses we were giving up over 70 ppg.

Wisconsin is an elite defensive team. Geo and Ron are in an awful funk and their lack of production was the difference in many of our losses, especially tonight. Mathis needs to step up too.

Injuries and no fans have also really hurt us as has the lack of out of conference games.

I think we will be better in the second half of the season if we can get healthy and send Geo and Ron to a sports psychologist and get their confidence back.
this....not mention the schedule lightens up...This was not a bad loss and ron and geo are coooollddd with good looks (Not Pikes fault)...This loss just feels worse because of the last 3...Chill out people...Lets see what we do in our next 5/6 games

In my opinion it’s a bad loss. We played like shit. Again. This team can be a lot better if they get their shit together mentally. The first half pissing away possessions was embarrassing. Our leaders need to step up. If the shot is not there drive and dish. 2-19 is not acceptable.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Wisconsin wasnt particularly dicey this game, they made a couple of 3s late but went 7 minutes throwing up bricks and RU did zippo in that stretch

dont get enamored with the ranking, you have to win when you have the opponent in a situation to beat them..we failed vs Iowa in another uneven type game for both teams and this was similar. If you get blown out 3x and yet are still losing the closer games, you are not improving, I see some fans are in a denial here about how bad we are right now

Wisconsin wasnt particularly dicey this game, they made a couple of 3s late but went 7 minutes throwing up bricks and RU did zippo in that stretch

dont get enamored with the ranking, you have to win when you have the opponent in a situation to beat them..we failed vs Iowa in another uneven type game for both teams and this was similar. If you get blown out 3x and yet are still losing the closer games, you are not improving, I see some fans are in a denial here about how bad we are right now
2-19 from three. This was a terrible game. There was effort but maturity leadership and skill was lacking

how many airballs today....and not just from 3, there were airballs on layups

Harper and Geo need to step up and be leaders again. Can’t score 20 less points game in game out by them and be successful.

Most close games come down to guard play. Trice beat geo. Simple as that.
Trice beat Young not Geo. Really didn’t want to stick up for Geo who is playing terribly and not acting like a good leader. But factually had to correct you.

This team is not good. Period. I like the positive energy but we had the hot streak and now reverting to our level. Terrible offense and poor FT. Team goes nowhere

Trice beat Young not Geo. Really didn’t want to stick up for Geo who is playing terribly and not acting like a good leader. But factually had to correct you.
Ok if you subscribe to young being our leader versus geo. Ok. Even worse.

Pike seemed very upbeat in his presser too. I thought the game looked much more like a legit effort than the last few. Just seemed like we couldn't hit out shots and Wisc did. Again, don't think we are a Top Big team, but I agree, the team looked like it could play again. A glimmer of hope. If this was any game other than Wisc or maybe Mich, we might be singing a different tune tonight. Fair points. Season is getting away fast though, so let's see if we can build in this or not.

Reactions: DirtyRU
I was very happy with the way we played today. We went back to playing Rutgers basketball.

unfortunately we have player(s) playing hurt. Ron is visibly hurt. He landed funny multiple times and it seems as if he has no spring in his feet.

I am hoping Geo is still not 100%.

Reactions: DirtyRU

a loss is a loss, you’re right about that. That was a huge squandered opportunity and a brutal 8 min stretch. But the effort was there IMO compared to the last 2 games. They finally remembered how to rebound and play D. That’s improvement. Now we just need Ron and Geo to remember how to score....

Good post. I agree completely.

Last night, the team showed clear improvement in several areas we really struggled the past few games. Not enough to win. And the players fell back into some bad habits some, especially in the second half. But there was plenty of improvement too. I was happy to see the players doing more to look for passes in the paint. We got a bunch of points that way, but then got away from it a bit in the second half. Needs more work, but noticeably improved over the prior two games.

Outside shooting was stone cold. The fact that the game was as close as it was, given the horrid shooting, is a testament to the rebounding and defensive intensity improvement. That's a tough thing to correct for. The players can spend extra time in the gym shooting. But it's clearly in their heads, given the number of open shots the players passed up on last night.

Get past the shooting woes, and the team will be winning games again. Especially if they play D and rebound like last night.

Reactions: ancienthooper
Now we just need Ron and Geo to remember how to score....
And they will. No doubt.

If I'm Pike, I'd feel upset over the loss, sure. But it would be balanced out by having game film to show a bunch of stuff that worked really well (some great passes in the paint for easy points, some great defense and rebounding). So film review can be way more encouraging for the players.

Pike can definitely build upon the improvements to the inside game last night. Having Cliff back and Myles playing great is huge for the team. I think that, when the shooting slump ends, this team will get back to their winning ways.

Reactions: BOCA93
Never giving up (despite bitching in game threads lol). We stunk the last couple weeks but my rose-colored glasses see that partly due to injuries that not only limit guys in the game but also practicing together. Yes B1G defenses have adjusted to press the perimeter and smother us there, but I like a healthy Cliff + Myles (as opposed to Myles + Reiber, Palm, Duc) being able to get better scoring in the paint and open up more space for our guards to operate. D and rebounding was good last night, we missed a ton of decent looks though.

Keep choppin'!

PBVn8UQ.gif

bac-spot on comments Its difficult to win close games with abysmal foul shooting and the absence of players that can stop scoring droughts.The reasons why players aren't performing up to expectations is a mystery right now .Hopefully,the coaching staff find the remedy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT