ADVERTISEMENT

Performing arts complex closer to reality for New Brunswick

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The new complex will be built where the George Street Playhouse and Crossroads Theatre Company now sit on Livingston Avenue. Next door to George Street Playhouse, Crossroads also is set to be included in the project. Both buildings will be torn down to make room for the new performing arts complex, said Tracey O'Reggio Clark, executive director of the New Brunswick Cultural Center.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...omplex-closer-reality-new-brunswick/96558346/

That is a huge building....That should make a mess of downtown during construction.

That is a huge building....That should make a mess of downtown during construction.
meh, the construction of the RU bookstore didn't make a mess of Somerset st, Easton ave area and that's arguably a busier intersection (with the comings and goings @ the train station and the Busses making their left in front of the building onto sSomerset st, I'd say it's definitely a busier intersection)

Both George Street Playhouse and Crossroads mentioned they will use alternative spaces while the new complex is being built. This would be a great opportunity for Rutgers to get local people more familiar with Nicholas and the various theaters around the campus.

Reactions: Underdogs88
New Brunswick Mayor James Cahill and the city’s nonprofit developer Christopher Paladino have been envisioning a state-of-the-art arts center for 10 years, but now that plans are in place for the $215 million, 25-story multi-use property, they have to “rush,” Paladino joked during a presentation Tuesday at Crossroads Theatre.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...-brunswicks-215-million-arts-center/97594342/

I'd never before heard of a high-rise concert hall or performing arts space until recently (Hamburg's Elbphilharmonie). For some reason I always equated that kind of building with low-rise.

Well, let's see if this thing will get built.

I'd never before heard of a high-rise concert hall or performing arts space until recently (Hamburg's Elbphilharmonie). For some reason I always equated that kind of building with low-rise.

Well, let's see if this thing will get built.
Here in DC the Shakespeare Theater is in the lower 3 floors of an office building. Apparently if its done correctly their can be significant tax advantages to a developer to dedicate space to arts facilities in a new building

Here in DC the Shakespeare Theater is in the lower 3 floors of an office building. Apparently if its done correctly their can be significant tax advantages to a developer to dedicate space to arts facilities in a new building
Not familiar with it and I spent 2 years in DC doing graduate work! I'm sure there are other examples; just not sure why it seems so unique to me.

I really hope the apartments are work force housing and not more luxury. I wonder what the occupancy rates are of a lot of these new luxury places. As long as it attracts money into NB, I'll be happy. The sooner we can raise the median income, the better.

I wonder what the occupancy rates are of a lot of these new luxury places.
I wonder about that too. A lot of big money high-rise residences in a state whose population is largely suburban with a strong fear of urbanism. There must be a lot of tax breaks; I can't see how these buildings stay afloat.

I wonder about that too. A lot of big money high-rise residences in a state whose population is largely suburban with a strong fear of urbanism. There must be a lot of tax breaks; I can't see how these buildings stay afloat.

You're incorrect about fear of urbanism. The trend is shifting back to people living closer to cities or in them. They offer a better quality of life, especially to Millenials.

You're incorrect about fear of urbanism. The trend is shifting back to people living closer to cities or in them. They offer a better quality of life, especially to Millenials.
the shifting has been ongoing for years now. As for fear of urbanism, all one must do to confirm this is to read the comments of a nj.com article concerning crime. NJ is in fluctuation but some things are slow to change

I really hope the apartments are work force housing and not more luxury. I wonder what the occupancy rates are of a lot of these new luxury places. As long as it attracts money into NB, I'll be happy. The sooner we can raise the median income, the better.

I agree and that's a big reason I left. Although I will say the research shows that every time you build luxury, it slowly pushes down prices on all the other luxury options in the market. Not sure if that holds in a place like NB though where there isn't enough stock. It's fair to say though that the real middle class rentals for New Brunswick are in Highland Park.

I guess I wonder at why we need to knock down two theater spaces to put up two theater spaces of roughly the same size. I mean, I get why developers would want to do it for the apartment space, but what else do these spaces have that make it worth $17m to RU?

occupancy rate in New Brunswick in the downtown 97%
NB is a Big Ten college town now... and has always been on a main line to Philly and NYC.. I New Brunswick property is not in demand they are doing something seriously wrong. Even though they have worked hard on it.. it is still not easy-in, easy-out traveling to and through New Brunswick. They have paid great attention to making sure cars aren't circling looking for parking by providing more and more parking.. but 18 still can become a parking lot.

We await the faculty council position paper deploring this diversion of resources away from instruction.

Quite honestly, with Rutgers' location 30 miles from Broadway, we should have a world-class performing arts program. But Rutgers doesn't even have a musical theater program due to lack of production space. At least this will allow Rutgers to offer that program.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Quite honestly, with Rutgers' location 30 miles from Broadway, we should have a world-class performing arts program. But Rutgers doesn't even have a musical theater program due to lack of production space. At least this will allow Rutgers to offer that program.
Good point

Nice...It'd be a good addition to the city. This board will hate it, naturally.

"It should look like an ancient Greek amphitheater."
"It should be a reconstruction of Nero's theater."
"Why not Shakespeare's Globe Theater?"
"It doesn't look like it's been there forever. Although we are in the 21st century, everything needs to look like it was constructed no later than the 18th century."
"Glass??!? No, it needs to be brickfaced."
"Just knock down the current playhouse and park a few Accords in its place. Art and drama rolled up in one."
"Where's the Death Star?"

Nice...It'd be a good addition to the city. This board will hate it, naturally.

"It should look like an ancient Greek amphitheater."
"It should be a reconstruction of Nero's theater."
"Why not Shakespeare's Globe Theater?"
"It doesn't look like it's been there forever. Although we are in the 21st century, everything needs to look like it was constructed no later than the 18th century."
"Glass??!? No, it needs to be brickfaced."
"Just knock down the current playhouse and park a few Accords in its place. Art and drama rolled up in one."
"Where's the Death Star?"

Looks great!

It seems the excavators have started swinging away, beginning the demo phase.

I have to laugh at headlines suggesting "$190mm Arts Center." It is anything but. It is a $190mm apartment building, and they had to put some theaters in the ground level space in order to (1) get the property; and (2) get the building approvals. Its no different from any other first floor retail in the developers eyes.

Nonetheless, it is good for NB. Not unlike "open spaces" and "community parks" at least the community is getting something out of development. The focus on building up NB while still improving the community will pay dividends down the road.

20292833_1755554727807033_5813719920943754594_n.jpg
20375620_1755554717807034_5792941225531401179_n.jpg

I have to laugh at headlines suggesting "$190mm Arts Center." It is anything but. It is a $190mm apartment building, and they had to put some theaters in the ground level space in order to (1) get the property; and (2) get the building approvals. Its no different from any other first floor retail in the developers eyes.

Nonetheless, it is good for NB. Not unlike "open spaces" and "community parks" at least the community is getting something out of development. The focus on building up NB while still improving the community will pay dividends down the road.
It is important to correct this post. There is $63 million being spent on two state of the Art theaters and rehearsal spaces. In fact the development of the residential component is facilitating more then have the capital necessary to build the arts infrastructure. there is also approximately $13 million being invested in office space that will support a number of arts organizations. The budget also includes a a $ 20 million parking garage. Nearly $100 million of the $170 million budget is being expended on non residential uses.
comparing this to a nail salon or hamburger restaurant is misplaced.

ADVERTISEMENT