ADVERTISEMENT

Pike=Early Schiano

RUKiid

Junior
Feb 4, 2004
Somebody either posted this topic or commented on a thread, remember when Schiano decided to run the Wildcat offense when there was a Freshman AA QB on the bench (Savage)? Quite possibly the most stubborn, awful coaching in his tenure. Pike reminds me of the same. He is so committed to some of these players that really shouldn't be on the floor much anymore. We will look back on this in the Pike era and say that the coaching should have been much better.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Our expectations for Pikiell are much higher than they are for Greg. And that's for a reason.. They are nothing alike

I think the comparison is apt.

Greg 1.0 wasn't going to get it done. He was way too stubborn of a coach.

He needed to go on the journey he did and get humbled as thoroughly as he did in Tampa Bay for us to get the superior product in Greg 2.0.

I hope we don't need to do that with Pike, but I'm not confident Pike is going to change his stripes. I think he is who he is.

Hopefully Pike can hire a good offensive mind and build a great staff. Whoever is in charge of offense needs to go. Team has been poorly coached. To your point, Schiano v2 drew a line in the sand to hire great coaches. Pike can’t do this himself

Reactions: bigmatt718
Somebody either posted this topic or commented on a thread, remember when Schiano decided to run the Wildcat offense when there was a Freshman AA QB on the bench (Savage)? Quite possibly the most stubborn, awful coaching in his tenure. Pike reminds me of the same. He is so committed to some of these players that really shouldn't be on the floor much anymore. We will look back on this in the Pike era and say that the coaching should have been much better.
I see your point. With how bad our 3-point shooting is out of the gate, and how ineffective Tez has been, you can argue Jones should go in instead. His shooting could help prevent RU from going on those long scoring droughts we despise. Unfortunately, I don't think Pike even thinks about it because he is so married to his veterans and substitution patterns.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
I think the comparison is apt.

Greg 1.0 wasn't going to get it done. He was way too stubborn of a coach.

He needed to go on the journey he did and get humbled as thoroughly as he did in Tampa Bay for us to get the superior product in Greg 2.0.

I hope we don't need to do that with Pike, but I'm not confident Pike is going to change his stripes. I think he is who he is.

I normally agree with you, but not this time. "Greg 1.0" did a *lot* for us, like make a respectable team out of a laughingstock. As for Pikiell, I can't claim to understand what's going on, and would rather not speculate

I normally agree with you, but not this time. "Greg 1.0" did a *lot* for us, like make a respectable team out of a laughingstock. As for Pikiell, I can't claim to understand what's going on, and would rather not speculate

You're right. He did a lot for us. I shouldn't have said he wasn't going to get it done, because he got a lot done.

I guess what I'm referring to is taking the next step from a consistent bowl team that wins on the basis of talent to a team that's a fixture in the Top 25. I don't think Greg 1.0 could have taken us there.

I think Pike's cap might be bubble NCAA team/NIT team. And that's heavily dependent on us making it in this year.

You're right. He did a lot for us. I shouldn't have said he wasn't going to get it done, because he got a lot done.

I guess what I'm referring to is taking the next step from a consistent bowl team that wins on the basis of talent to a team that's a fixture in the Top 25. I don't think Greg 1.0 could have taken us there.

I think Pike's cap might be bubble NCAA team/NIT team. And that's heavily dependent on us making it in this year.

Keep in mind that there are few coaches who can be said to have "a team that's a fixture in the Top 25." And the teams that are have a lot more going for them than just a fine coach, such as a long history. It takes years and years to develop such a team, so let's not get impatient. Yes, today was a terrible night for the team. But I've always been told that the best way to play sports is not to get too high or too low based on a single game. I think that's good advice for us fans, too.

Isn't that exactly what Pike did in his tenure too? Made a respectable team out of a laughing stock

I thought offense was all about movement and passing the ball to get easy looks like Nebraska did tonight. We don’t do the passing part nor the movement part.
Rutgers has a problem finishing plays .Far too many missed layups.The passing and ball movement is mediocre at best resulting in taking heavily guarded shots with less than five seconds on the shot clock.

So we make the tournament and Pike resigns to become the head coach of the Orlando Magic. One of the assistants takes over and it doesn't work out and we hire an tOSU assistant on the recommendation of Barry Alvarez. Pike gets fired by the Magic because he can't relate to the pros and goes back to a friend and becomes Calhoun's assistant at St. Joseph's (CT). Finallythe tOSU assistant leads us down a hole and Pike is re hired in 2027.

Can we skip all this and just keep him?

ADVERTISEMENT