ADVERTISEMENT

Pike got us Ranked in 3.5 years

Keep bringing in talented players with good work habits. These guys improved a lot because they are in the gym playing a lot. Anyone who joins this team moving forward will have a chance to learn from players who know what it takes to get here. This didn't happen immediately. Let's keep winning.

Reactions: BillyC80
Looking forward to the next three and a half years
Just think, another year and a half of Geo and Jacob, another 2 1/2 years of Myles, Harper, Tez and Caleb, and another 3 1/2 years of Paul.

To sit here already ranked, with such a young team, and knowing that we’re going to get even better, is just incredible. Kudos to Pike, the coaches the team, and the entire Scarlet Nation.

Well deserved by all.

thought it would take almost a full 5

incredible job by Pike and Waters/Bannon were close but never got that one win they needed or had too many bad losses. This is how its done and happens all of a sudden

incredible job by Pike and Waters/Bannon were close but never got that one win they needed or had too many bad losses. This is how its done and happens all of a sudden
Five years was reasonable, considering where we were when he started, #279 in KenPom at the end of 2015/16 season, with a 7-25 record.

And now, halfway through 2019/20 we’re at #24 in both KenPom and AP rankings with a 14-4 record so far.

That’s coaching.

Reactions: FastMJ
But, but, Eugene isn’t here!

We can’t possibly be good defensively without him, can we?!?

No, we’re BETTER because he isn’t here!

And thus, we are ranked, too!

Reactions: JQRU91
Should Hobbs give him an extension before he gets plucked?
I’m sure he’ll get extended but Pike has to be thinking he’s got something special here, so I doubt he’d want to leave. He’ll be well compensated, that’s for sure.

Where are the guys who said Coach wasn't getting it done early this season and that he should be on the hot seat?

Many also kept ripping our recruits because they were not 4 or 5 stars and that we wouldn't get any better. I kept saying to trust Steve that he knows what he is doing. He and his staff find kids who want to be at RU and will work hard to improve and fit into the team he is molding. Hopefully those who have not fully bought into our program maybe will now. We still have room to improve.

It’s amazing because we have no superstars, just a bunch of talented, hard working over-achievers who have bought in to playing like a true team.

Reactions: RU82 and NiTeKnight
I am sure that I agreed on a long rebuild, but I have to say I was really just hoping that I wasn't going to be seeing a new coach in 3-4 years and going through it all over again. Now I hope to never see another coach until he retires!

Lets stop patting each other on the back. Nothing of value has been accomplished yet. We have not yet made the tourney, and we can lose that ranking and never get it back in a blink of an eye this week.

I hope our team is keeping their heads on straight with all the mutual masturbation going around the fanbase and the media over a #24 ranking.....

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
It’s nice for the headlines, but I don't care about being ranked for a week. The end game is the tourney and I don’t mean the NIT. This is Rutgers and we’ve shown time and again if something bad can happen, it happens to us. When the field is announced and if we’re named, then I’ll celebrate and I will certainly try to be the first to post the ‘I was wrong about Pikiell’ thread. Through the second, third and even the beginning of this year, I’ve doubted the guy (never said he wouldn’t be successful, but didn’t think he could get us to the tourney) and would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Reactions: brookdale-soda
Coach Pike would be the first one to tell you that the team hasn’t accomplished anything yet. But for us fans this ranking means we’re on the right track. And coming from where we were before he got here, I say thank you Steve Pikiell, for making Rutgers basketball relevant, competitive and fun again.

We’re ranked for the first time in 40 years and more competitive than we’ve been in at least 14 years. Need to keep him regardless
Fine...let’s get to actual post season play before breaking the bank...there’s a long long long history of over reaction on the part of many programs when it comes to extensions and such. A 4 seed in some fun, but meaningless January bracketology type exercise is tantamount to zip.

as a fan, enjoy...but it really does not mean anything...YET!

Reactions: RUSK97
I am congratulating myself...haha...I spoke to Pike at one of his first fundraising events and came on here and said there is NO DOUBT in my mind he's going to get it done

(but I didnt think tournament this year...LOL)

I love Pike...the guy is so genuine...we are lucky to have him

btw - there ARE going to be some bad toe-stubs the rest of the way...let's hope that those coming out of the woodwork to congratulate him continue to stay positive when those things happen...

Fine...let’s get to actual post season play before breaking the bank...there’s a long long long history of over reaction on the part of many programs when it comes to extensions and such. A 4 seed in some fun, but meaningless January bracketology type exercise is tantamount to zip.

as a fan, enjoy...but it really does not mean anything...YET!

Agree. The ranking and accolades are certainly evidence that Pike has the program going in the right direction. But it is still premature to exclaim "time to pay up".

Lets stop patting each other on the back. Nothing of value has been accomplished yet. We have not yet made the tourney, and we can lose that ranking and never get it back in a blink of an eye this week.

I hope our team is keeping their heads on straight with all the mutual masturbation going around the fanbase and the media over a #24 ranking.....

you make a decent/fair point, but to suggest being ranked for the first time in 41 years is "nothing of value" is crazy talk.

there has been a TON of value created already. suggesting the ONLY measure of value is making the dance is just dumb. as a long time season ticket holder, I can assure you that the VALUE of enjoying each and every game is real. he has turned EVERYTHING around in terms of the way we play. that is value in and of itself.

again, I get the gist of your point, but your black/white take is, IMHO, a bad one.

LOL, nothing of value, except the entire country talking about Rutgers basketball.

You must be lots of fun at parties.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
We were dreadful in the early schedule and our recruiting class just signed had an underwhelming offer list. Anyone that had followed the program for decades had every legitimate reason to be concerned about where we were in year 4 two months ago. I know one thing, there were zero people on the planet that thought we had any chance to be ranked on January 21. I’m enjoying every bit of this ride and no one is going to put a damper on this for me.

Reactions: GORU2014
ADVERTISEMENT