ADVERTISEMENT

Pike message to fans.....

I don’t know what else he can say here but it still irks me after he didn’t have this team ready to play and they lacked energy according to him.

How do you not come out with laser sharp focus insane energy for this game?

Yeah...not sure what he's supposed to say...wtf
He is supposed to say we sucked and as usual I did not have this team prepared because I have no clue how to coach offense; how about setting a back screen how about having your big man set a pick at the foul line and roll not 25 feet out from the basket basic basketball 101

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I don't get what people want coaches to say other than canned and neutral type responses.

At end of the day, it doesn't matter and nobody cares or pays attention to what is said in post game pressers other than filling some white space in the media's write up.

I care about what adjustments the coach makes on the floor. And they better get this straightened out.

When I first I saw you post I thought Pike tweeted it, but he was asked the question and answered it in the same exact manner he has all season. I'd like to see more sense of urgency but it is what it is.

I dont know but they certainly did not play hard today, that is insulting our intelligence, I can appreciate a hard effort vs a lights out Nebby but we were humiliated
Is lack of effort on him or the players? Are the practices that different when we play all out vs lay a turd?

Do we have a sports psychologist on staff? I really think it’s mental. Either confidence or chemistry or Covid isolation.

Montez posted a shoutout on Instagram “to those who haven’t felt ok lately but still get up everyday and refuse to quit. Stay Strong.”

There's nothing he can say. At least publicly to us. What he says to his team is what really matters. Everyone is shell-shocked. Probably the coaches too. A long flight back from Lincoln for some soul searching.

He is supposed to say we sucked and as usual I did not have this team prepared because I have no clue how to coach offense; how about setting a back screen how about having your big man set a pick at the foul line and roll not 25 feet out from the basket basic basketball 101

Don't be a moron

I know its hard for you

C’mon ...what do you expect him to say

“Give up on us everyone “

The question is...and we don’t know what the answer is...is what is the conversation behind closed doors between players and coaches ....
This. I mean what do you expect him to say? Im finding this rips against pike as the person absurd. Hes a great great man, again my gripe is i just dont think hes a great coach

I don't care what he says. I am much more interested in how his team plays, and this whole program sucked tonight. Not one gamer on this team in the biggest game of the year.

I hope the get a win or get lucky and make the tournament some other way to get the monkey off the back, then I am done with this team. They aren't even fun to root for.

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
I’ll certainly not give pike a pass here ...but this this the third game in a row that we came out flat

At some point ...as an athlete playing major college basketball ...you need to have that edge to compete ...and we don’t have the edge coming out of the lockerroom

Jacob is the exception in that

IMO...we can have a coach give the pep talk...but an experienced team who has a finite number of games left ...should have Their own motivation to want to come out and kick ass...and not go through the motions

Three games in a row ...we came going through the motions ....

I have been a huge supporter of the team and will always be. With that said, no way did this team hustle tonight. I can deal with missed shots if you rebound and go after loose balls. Other than young and Mag no one showed any effort. Nebraska was the team that was suppose to come into the game tired after playing so many games in a short period of time. Hardly any movement of offense just kept chucking the 3’s. One game to figure it out. I will not give up.

I am done the only one who played with any intensity was JY

I know this appears to be the case but it's honestly not even close to true....he appears to hustle because he is so quick, but he's such a poor defender because he thinks he can outrun his opponent and then his opponent gets past him constantly.....he also doesn't play in the team concepts and leads to break downs on defense.
I don't have an answer for what it takes to play good team defense without communication on what your teammates are doing......Jacob and the team last year rarely broke down on basics or gamble, this team now seems to follow the wrong path of JY reaching or leaning or cheating passing lanes....and it's really a slow footed team, if you remove Mathis from the equation, so you need communication and not individual play.....

If you do what JY does and get a steal, it looks good on a couple of plays because it's "hero ball"....then others try to go for steals too, they start to reach, get out of position and overplay passing lanes and get carved up like last night......that was a coaching clinic on undisciplined defense and limited offense winning.

You don't get 18 to 20 assists if you are Nebraska by "playing hard", on defense......that type of Princeton style offense thrives on undisciplined and gambling defense and you saw the results.

A lesser athletic more limited team like Purdue shut down Nebraska because they are connected 1 through 5 on defense....they don't play hero ball on defense, which hurts the overall team. As much as Mulcahy is limited with lack of quickness and footspeed, he actually understands angles and tries but is rarely out of position. He just needs 4 other players to help Mulcahy out when he's isolated but that also breaks down a defense, when Mulcahy is isolated by an opponent 1 on 1........you even see Geo gamble on steals and reaching way more than before to get beat on cuts backdoor.

The breakdown of whatever you are seeing starts on the defensive end.....too much JY hero ball needs to stop....he was lights out last year, this year, his lack of discipline has spread throughout the team defense. It's easy to correct with more zone concepts that eliminate 1 on 1 defense and force the team to defend as a unit....one breakdown, leads to easy baskets for an opponent.

Last edited:
I don’t expect it to happen now, but throw the team under the bus every once in awhile. Guys respond to that. I’m so tired of babying these athletes. Every other game is awful effort

he is also saying they have been having the best practices of the season
Its all coach speak after games.Pikiell has made similar comments about how well the team has prepared prior to games.and the performances have been deeply disappointing,

There is no doubt that if Pike somehow misses out on the tourney his seat will be getting warm. Considering the predictions of mass exodus and his subpar recruiting he may be gone after next year. This is not a scenario I want - If pike can’t do it I believe no one can

There is no doubt that if Pike somehow misses out on the tourney his seat will be getting warm. Considering the predictions of mass exodus and his subpar recruiting he may be gone after next year. This is not a scenario I want - If pike can’t do it I believe no one can

Subpar recruiting? He’s landed a 4 star recruit in every class since he’s arrived and has proven he can identify under recruited players (baker, Caleb, Harper, Myles). All of this from a base of legitimately the worst program in division one athletics. He has 9 wins in what Ken Pom ranks as the hardest since his service began. I get it, it was a bad loss. But What are you talking about?

he is also saying they have been having the best practices of the season
And how do you know this is untrue? Seriously, go pull the panties from out of your crack and start acting like a balanced person. More than half this board needs to be on mood stabilizers.

I laughed watching the game last night. Why? Because teams are allowed a wtf loss. Other teams get it. Why don't we? And we are still favored to make the tournament. This is the reality of the situation. "Ohhhh my God this loss is program altering". To those with that opinion, again, a big shut the **** up to you. You drama queens take everything so damn seriously.

I half expected a loss last night. That's why I said we match up better with minnesota than nebraska, which prompted others to say that's ridiculous. Not so ridiculous now. This is a team we beat on a miracle shot last year.

It’s college sports, what do you expect him to say to fans?

What I care about is what he’s saying behind closed doors, and we’ll never know what that is.

I know this appears to be the case but it's honestly not even close to true....he appears to hustle because he is so quick, but he's such a poor defender because he thinks he can outrun his opponent and then his opponent gets past him constantly.....he also doesn't play in the team concepts and leads to break downs on defense.
I don't have an answer for what it takes to play good team defense without communication on what your teammates are doing......Jacob and the team last year rarely broke down on basics or gamble, this team now seems to follow the wrong path of JY reaching or leaning or cheating passing lanes....and it's really a slow footed team, if you remove Mathis from the equation, so you need communication and not individual play.....

If you do what JY does and get a steal, it looks good on a couple of plays because it's "hero ball"....then others try to go for steals too, they start to reach, get out of position and overplay passing lanes and get carved up like last night......that was a coaching clinic on undisciplined defense and limited offense winning.

You don't get 18 to 20 assists if you are Nebraska by "playing hard", on defense......that type of Princeton style offense thrives on undisciplined and gambling defense and you saw the results.

A lesser athletic more limited team like Purdue shut down Nebraska because they are connected 1 through 5 on defense....they don't play hero ball on defense, which hurts the overall team. As much as Mulcahy is limited with lack of quickness and footspeed, he actually understands angles and tries but is rarely out of position. He just needs 4 other players to help Mulcahy out when he's isolated but that also breaks down a defense, when Mulcahy is isolated by an opponent 1 on 1........you even see Geo gamble on steals and reaching way more than before to get beat on cuts backdoor.

The breakdown of whatever you are seeing starts on the defensive end.....too much JY hero ball needs to stop....he was lights out last year, this year, his lack of discipline has spread throughout the team defense. It's easy to correct with more zone concepts that eliminate 1 on 1 defense and force the team to defend as a unit....one breakdown, leads to easy baskets for an opponent.
Agree on a more disciplined team defense. That being said, a good team man to man looks like a zone. “Ball - you - man.”

There certainly was a huge problem with the reaching and then getting back doored. It got worse as the game went on because of desperation. I’m not sure I would put what others do on JY though. You’re dead right about Mulcahy, he’s the best team concept defender we have. Just needs help in some of those one on one situations.

Is lack of effort on him or the players? Are the practices that different when we play all out vs lay a turd?

Do we have a sports psychologist on staff? I really think it’s mental. Either confidence or chemistry or Covid isolation.

Montez posted a shoutout on Instagram “to those who haven’t felt ok lately but still get up everyday and refuse to quit. Stay Strong.”

Interesting, bc the world does suck right now, on pretty much every level. I myself am struggling a bit for a few different reasons, but just not feeling great in general. Like I mentioned in the other thread, maybe the world and this crazy season is just weighing on them. This was a team fueled by the RAC and their families and friends etc. They definitely thought last game punched our ticket and that they would easily beat NEB too, like most of us did. I remember one game when I was a kid, basketball game. We were the best team in the league, and playing a team in the playoffs that we had beaten easily to the point they made my dad pull starters (this was rec ball lol) anyway. I remember feeling like we'd win no matter what. But this team played hard. Even still, the whole game I thought we would eventually pull it out. That feeling held us back. We didn't match their intensity. They beat us in OT.

best team I've ever played on was at 5 star basketball camp. We had the least talented roster...but we went undefeated bc we played ridiculous defense and rebounded, moved the ball etc. I was a role player averaging probably 6 pts a game, but a bunch of rebounds and great D. Anyway, when it came time to play the other best team for first place, they just outgunned us down the stretch. We played it close, but we got demoralized after a while w them hitting everything. Overall point is, yeah sometimes things just suck, and if you are a team that relies on energy and passion, and you 1) expect to win and 2) get demoralized I can see you losing.

thats no excuse for this team losing so pathetically yesterday. This is a D1 B1G team with everything to play for, who has not been that great this year...but still, I could see just life, the world, and basketball, weighing on these guys. If it isn't fun, it isn't fun.

Subpar recruiting? He’s landed a 4 star recruit in every class since he’s arrived and has proven he can identify under recruited players (baker, Caleb, Harper, Myles). All of this from a base of legitimately the worst program in division one athletics. He has 9 wins in what Ken Pom ranks as the hardest since his service began. I get it, it was a bad loss. But What are you talking about?
On a whole he hasn’t been special on the recruiting trail. He’s had lots of misses and who he’s gotten to come here has been suspect. Bullock. Guy from France. This whole freshmen class minus Cliff. His four stars like Mathis have regressed. As much as I love Caleb effort he is true ceiling is an okay Big ten reserve who can have a moment. Geo came here when no one else would - he is a good big ten player who is clutch when the game is on the line but no super star and very inconsistent. He took a big chance on Myles and developed him - he’s a high three star talent even though his rating wasn’t near that as a high school senior. So credit there. Jacob well - obviously talented and if we had him for four years...

In short, as I believe Kyk said - the players think they are better than they are.

No

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT