ADVERTISEMENT

Pike message to fans.....

He is supposed to say we sucked and as usual I did not have this team prepared because I have no clue how to coach offense; how about setting a back screen how about having your big man set a pick at the foul line and roll not 25 feet out from the basket basic basketball 101
If you had a choice between Pikell and Jordan who would you pick?

There is no doubt that if Pike somehow misses out on the tourney his seat will be getting warm. Considering the predictions of mass exodus and his subpar recruiting he may be gone after next year. This is not a scenario I want - If pike can’t do it I believe no one can
There is a ton of doubt in that statement.

that statement has no clue to where we were when he took over the program and where we are financially (and 95% of the collegiate world)

And how do you know this is untrue? Seriously, go pull the panties from out of your crack and start acting like a balanced person. More than half this board needs to be on mood stabilizers.

I laughed watching the game last night. Why? Because teams are allowed a wtf loss. Other teams get it. Why don't we? And we are still favored to make the tournament. This is the reality of the situation. "Ohhhh my God this loss is program altering". To those with that opinion, again, a big shut the **** up to you. You drama queens take everything so damn seriously.

I half expected a loss last night. That's why I said we match up better with minnesota than nebraska, which prompted others to say that's ridiculous. Not so ridiculous now. This is a team we beat on a miracle shot last year.

Time is running short for kicking the can down the road this season.

If we lose at Minny maybe you’ll like our matchup better in the B1G tournament?

And where are our armchair bracketologists who said the Nebraska game didn’t change our seeding profile for the tourney?

No someone else can or no his seat won’t get warm if it plays out as I stated?
His seat won't get warm. I personally believe he is the right guy, but he does need to develop a better offense. Either way, RU isn't going to fire this guy unless we take a huge step backwards.

I know this appears to be the case but it's honestly not even close to true....he appears to hustle because he is so quick, but he's such a poor defender because he thinks he can outrun his opponent and then his opponent gets past him constantly.....he also doesn't play in the team concepts and leads to break downs on defense.
I don't have an answer for what it takes to play good team defense without communication on what your teammates are doing......Jacob and the team last year rarely broke down on basics or gamble, this team now seems to follow the wrong path of JY reaching or leaning or cheating passing lanes....and it's really a slow footed team, if you remove Mathis from the equation, so you need communication and not individual play.....

If you do what JY does and get a steal, it looks good on a couple of plays because it's "hero ball"....then others try to go for steals too, they start to reach, get out of position and overplay passing lanes and get carved up like last night......that was a coaching clinic on undisciplined defense and limited offense winning.

You don't get 18 to 20 assists if you are Nebraska by "playing hard", on defense......that type of Princeton style offense thrives on undisciplined and gambling defense and you saw the results.

A lesser athletic more limited team like Purdue shut down Nebraska because they are connected 1 through 5 on defense....they don't play hero ball on defense, which hurts the overall team. As much as Mulcahy is limited with lack of quickness and footspeed, he actually understands angles and tries but is rarely out of position. He just needs 4 other players to help Mulcahy out when he's isolated but that also breaks down a defense, when Mulcahy is isolated by an opponent 1 on 1........you even see Geo gamble on steals and reaching way more than before to get beat on cuts backdoor.

The breakdown of whatever you are seeing starts on the defensive end.....too much JY hero ball needs to stop....he was lights out last year, this year, his lack of discipline has spread throughout the team defense. It's easy to correct with more zone concepts that eliminate 1 on 1 defense and force the team to defend as a unit....one breakdown, leads to easy baskets for an opponent.
So true.
BTW, Young definitely leads the league in bunnies missed

Is lack of effort on him or the players? Are the practices that different when we play all out vs lay a turd?

Do we have a sports psychologist on staff? I really think it’s mental. Either confidence or chemistry or Covid isolation.

Montez posted a shoutout on Instagram “to those who haven’t felt ok lately but still get up everyday and refuse to quit. Stay Strong.”
It's on the players. How can you not be up for a game when you haven't played in a week. I was keyed up for every game I ever played in no matter what sport. Games are the payoff for practicing, if you cant get yourself up for them then it's time to stop playing. I've been saying for 2 months that something is going on behind the scenes. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, I think some of these kids don't like playing with each other.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
His seat won't get warm. I personally believe he is the right guy, but he does need to develop a better offense. Either way, RU isn't going to fire this guy unless we take a huge step backwards.
Next year is going to be a big step back. Who is the point guard? Myles seems to be on his way out, and other than Cliff, who doesn't score a lot, this freshman class is not very good. We are not making the tournament next year without a couple of quality grad transfers.

Time is running short for kicking the can down the road this season.

If we lose at Minny maybe you’ll like our matchup better in the B1G tournament?

And where are our armchair bracketologists who said the Nebraska game didn’t change our seeding profile for the tourney?
Literally nobody was saying that. Nebraska didn't affect our chances of getting in. Literally nobody said it would have no effect on seeding

Reactions: cm_13
Pikiell is right. We put up a big dud when we needed the exact opposite. Stay the course. One more game and we are in. Nothing has changed. Nebraska played great. we played bad. Nothing pikiell can say other than stay the course.

I wish pike would have laughed at the question and said "the fans should thank me for agreeing to coach here. the year before i got here rutgers went 7-25 overall 1-17 in the big ten. No one wanted this job and i was the only guy who had the guts to take it. this is the most important basketball rutgers has played in 30 years and the fans are upset about what? A bad game? A bunch of college kids reading the newspaper headlines heading into a trap game? in the middle of a pandemic with guys not seeing families or friends in months were not that excited about going to Nebraska and playing the worst team in the league? We take the L and we move on like men."

That being said pike is a good guy and would never say that. He says the right thing an moves on.

Reactions: Groz and BKIn118
And how do you know this is untrue? Seriously, go pull the panties from out of your crack and start acting like a balanced person. More than half this board needs to be on mood stabilizers.

I laughed watching the game last night. Why? Because teams are allowed a wtf loss. Other teams get it. Why don't we? And we are still favored to make the tournament. This is the reality of the situation. "Ohhhh my God this loss is program altering". To those with that opinion, again, a big shut the **** up to you. You drama queens take everything so damn seriously.

I half expected a loss last night. That's why I said we match up better with minnesota than nebraska, which prompted others to say that's ridiculous. Not so ridiculous now. This is a team we beat on a miracle shot last year.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Not that i am happy abou the loss but cant get to crazy. Keep a level head and move on. Hell Michigan lost to Minnesota by 18.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
Literally nobody was saying that. Nebraska didn't affect our chances of getting in. Literally nobody said it would have no effect on seeding

The Nebby blowout doesn’t affect RU’s chances of getting into the tournament?

Really?

Pikiell is right. We put up a big dud when we needed the exact opposite. Stay the course. One more game and we are in. Nothing has changed. Nebraska played great. we played bad. Nothing pikiell can say other than stay the course.

I wish pike would have laughed at the question and said "the fans should thank me for agreeing to coach here. the year before i got here rutgers went 7-25 overall 1-17 in the big ten. No one wanted this job and i was the only guy who had the guts to take it. this is the most important basketball rutgers has played in 30 years and the fans are upset about what? A bad game? A bunch of college kids reading the newspaper headlines heading into a trap game? in the middle of a pandemic with guys not seeing families or friends in months were not that excited about going to Nebraska and playing the worst team in the league? We take the L and we move on like men."

That being said pike is a good guy and would never say that. He says the right thing an moves on.

Pike has essentially said this in previous press conferences just not in so many words. He likes to bring up we were terrible before he got here.

So true.
BTW, Young definitely leads the league in bunnies missed
I saw today that Brad Davison actually is having a HISTORICALLY bad year from 2 point range. I don't know if it's bunnies or he's taking bad mid range shots

Pike has essentially said this in previous press conferences just not in so many words. He likes to bring up we were terrible before he got here.

Someone needs to remind you that this is the best rutgers team in 30 years.

Reactions: RUsojo
ADVERTISEMENT