ADVERTISEMENT

Pike: Stop Having Myles Run Around Guarding Pygmies

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
He should be boxing out Harrar and fighting for every rebound.

Paul is showing more grit than I realized he possessed. Think he needs to shoot / score more to open up Harper etc.

Don't know what's going to happen in Indy...but I hope that Pike doesn't lay on a heaping helping of coach praise for Frey. He doesn't deserve it.

We lost this game at the foul line. We lost this game on the glass, We lost this game with idiotic passes. We lost this game with shooting. We lost this game with coaching. WE LOST THIS GAME!

We've imploded...wonder if we can ever PLODE again!

MO

Last edited:
Is this political correct?
What is a pygmie?
Will my significant other allow me to use it in scrabble?

We lost this game because of a lack of effort. Lost most of the last few games for that same reason. Yes, the free throws suck and RU is in a shooting slump. But there’s no way Penn State should have such an advantage on points in the paint and rebounds. It happened because they hustled more. They wanted it more. RU stood there and watched them grab rebounds and make layups for most of the night. Pike needs to find a away to get RU back to their effort and intensity level that they had earlier in the season. Fast.

Reactions: Scangg and Mr Magoo
We lost this game because of a lack of effort. Lost most of the last few games for that same reason. Yes, the free throws suck and RU is in a shooting slump. But there’s no way Penn State should have such an advantage on points in the paint and rebounds. It happened because they hustled more. They wanted it more. RU stood there and watched them grab rebounds and make layups for most of the night. Pike needs to find a away to get RU back to their effort and intensity level that they had earlier in the season. Fast.
This... and that is really the one inexcusable thing. Effort and intensity. We wait til we are down 15 to look like we care and have a sense of urgency. Paul is showing the most effort right now game in and game out. Trying to take leadership. Geo and Ron failing in that aspect.

This... and that is really the one inexcusable thing. Effort and intensity. We wait til we are down 15 to look like we care and have a sense of urgency. Paul is showing the most effort right now game in and game out. Trying to take leadership. Geo and Ron failing in that aspect.
I don’t like Paul getting these minutes, but he has to play if he is giving the effort and others aren’t.

I don’t like Paul getting these minutes, but he has to play if he is giving the effort and others aren’t.
I almost feel like they should go back to earlier in the season when Geo was just getting back. JY, Mathis, Paul, RHJ, Cliff/Myles starting lineup. Geo looks a step too slow. Caleb is struggling to fit in with the offense. Decrease their minutes. That lineup gives them a chance to play faster.

Last edited:

RU lost the battle of the boards by > 10.

MO

It is on the internet. Big mistake

I can live with it.

Guards are little guys...Myles has a 7'7"wingspan and Harrad? (Sp.) cleaned up on 2nd chances and O rebounds. Myles needs a memo from the coach ...or whatever it takes, stop guarding guards and body up against the other team's big: grab the rebound, block the shot!

MO

I almost feel like they should go back to earlier in the season when Geo was just getting back. JY, Mathis, Paul, RHJ, Cliff/Myles starting lineup. Geo looks a step too slow. Caleb is struggling to fit in with the offense. Decrease they’re minutes. That lineup gives them a chance to play faster.

I had hoped Geo would be back to 100% by now. That's clearly not the case. He needs to come off the bench until he's at full strength...and let the players who can ...do it (hope he can recharge his battery ASAP).

MO

That was my point. Look at the height/weight differences between Myles-Harrar and RHJ-Lundy. They should be winning the battle. They would’ve if they hustled more.

Harrar is smaller than most big men in the conference and definitely can't jump as high but he leads the conference in OReb% because he works his ass off to be in the right spot. He knows his role and plays it well.

Harrar is smaller than most big men in the conference and definitely can't jump as high but he leads the conference in OReb% because he works his ass off to be in the right spot. He knows his role and plays it well.
Okay but that’s one guy. Aside from Young, our guys are bigger than their PSU counterparts. I saw a lot of ball watching instead of boxing out today.

Okay but that’s one guy. Aside from Young, our guys are bigger than their PSU counterparts. I saw a lot of ball watching instead of boxing out today.

Oh I'm agreeing with you. Our rebounding effort has been extremely disappointing. There's no good reason for it to be so much worse than last year. Yeboah did a lot for us but he wasn't really a rebounder, and Carter was at best an average rebounder for his size.

I can live with it.

Guards are little guys...Myles has a 7'7"wingspan and Harrad? (Sp.) cleaned up on 2nd chances and O rebounds. Myles needs a memo from the coach ...or whatever it takes, stop guarding guards and body up against the other team's big: grab the rebound, block the shot!

MO
It’s the same thing when Cliff is out there. Either Hayn is a huge liability, neither of our centers understands fundamentals, or we should switch up the offense and have them run point while we’re at it. Seems obvious to me which 1 of those 3 possibilities makes the most sense.

Harrar is much tougher than Johnson and has a lot more heart. He would be all B1G if he was on RU with all of our misses.

It’s the same thing when Cliff is out there. Either Hayn is a huge liability, neither of our centers understands fundamentals, or we should switch up the offense and have them run point while we’re at it. Seems obvious to me which 1 of those 3 possibilities makes the most sense.
I’ve seen kids at the high school level who instinctively find the nearest man when a shot goes up, and knew how to time the ball off the basket and high point it like a wide receiver running a fade route. I don’t understand why our team has had so many issues rebounding the last few games. Boxing out your man should be second nature to basketball players.

I’ve seen kids at the high school level who instinctively find the nearest man when a shot goes up, and knew how to time the ball off the basket and high point it like a wide receiver running a fade route. I don’t understand why our team has had so many issues rebounding the last few games. Boxing out your man should be second nature to basketball players.
I don’t understand any of what’s been going on. IMO Myles specifically (only mentioning him since the thread is about him) used to have a tendency to play smaller than he is; he is plus put the ball on the floor a lot instead of going up strong for example. Not sure if we’re seeing him revert to that style of play in some ways. They all seem afraid to play into contact due to the foul shooting issues. Just an epic disaster for a team that used to pride itself on physical play and why I’ve been (maybe overly) mad about the foul shooting for years now.

Myles is great at times but also does some inexplicable things.. things he is too smart to be doing.. how many times have you seen him OFF THE COURT behind the basket while the ball is still in play where he turns around and watches ?

Princess%20Bride%20Quote.png

Reactions: Knightmoves
Rebounding is effort look at Rashad Kent what was he maybe 6'4" you just have to want it its about like you say positioning and hustle

Reactions: RUBOB72

Free throw discrepancy has been a huge issue all year, compounded by the fact that we don't make them when we get them. Like that Fonseca finally acknowledged in print in the Ledger today. Yet for so many posters it's a forbidden topic or irrelevant topic. However, it is a significant factor.

Maybe since we stand around like the 2nd grade kid who feels like the kids pick on him ? For what I have seen the past 6 weeks which include a few close defeats . Passive play under the boards. A lack of hustle off and on during the games. Some confusion on substitutions by our leader Pike . And a mind boggling deficiency in making free throws. If we can’t as team shoot 70-75 % ( especially with our new game changing facility open 24/7 ) we are going to lose more than we win. I give injuries and pandemic there dues but realistically we are playing crap.

Free throw discrepancy has been a huge issue all year, compounded by the fact that we don't make them when we get them. Like that Fonseca finally acknowledged in print in the Ledger today. Yet for so many posters it's a forbidden topic or irrelevant topic. However, it is a significant factor.
How often are they practicing free throws on their own? They can’t waste time during the limit amount of practice they get. Those issues get fixed by the player on their own time. Again, effort.

Speaking of Kent, found an interesting article about him. Seems like he put his legal troubles behind him.

Our players clearly play in a way to avoid contact because they know they can't convert at the line. Plus we miss the front end of every 1-and-1 which also limits our total number of shots.

Won the rebounding battle 32-29 got to the line and matched IU’s production from the charity stripe, had more steals and blocks, and played great team defense. It’s all about EFFORT!

ADVERTISEMENT