ADVERTISEMENT

Pike

Loosing two of our best players in the last decade wasn’t going to affect us at all this year 🤷🏻‍♂️

***turn on your sarcasm meters please***

LMAO being a troll is still an opinion. One that you belabor any chance you get. Come on my guy, you have to know your own schtick
Apparently being a troll is something you don't want to hear. So if pike doesn't have more tournament wins in the next 3 years is it still a troll opinion?

We caught lightning in a bottle with pike. I don't think we'll get much else. There is literally not a single closer on this team and from the looks of it, we are going to waste another prime year of cliff like we did last year. We have a supposed nba talent. Can I just ask how to F are we scheming it to get cliff the ball in big moments like in last night's game? He was nowhere to be found at the end of the game. And guess what? That's on pike.

Hes a good coach, not a great coach. He definitely has flaws. He provides us with a high floor but very low ceiling. Frankly, i pray our football program can reach the high floor, low ceiling, competitive nature our bball program has turned into.

What i just said is the truth but anyone who says hes not coach K here gets blasted
Pike has his flaws like most good coaches, but a “very low ceiling” is not accurate, imo. To wit, after literally decades of futility, 2 seasons ago he brought our team to within one blown dunk of the Sweet 16 and a very doable path to the Final 4. Would that have been a low ceiling? He put our program in that position.

Hes a good coach, not a great coach. He definitely has flaws. He provides us with a high floor but very low ceiling. Frankly, i pray our football program can reach the high floor, low ceiling, competitive nature our bball program has turned into.

What i just said is the truth but anyone who says hes not coach K here gets blasted
So if he lands Harper along with griffiths and maybe one other would you still think our ceiling is low.

Pike has his flaws like most good coaches, but a “very low ceiling” is not accurate, imo. To wit, after literally decades of futility, 2 seasons ago he brought our team to within one blown dunk of the Sweet 16 and a very doable path to the Final 4. Would that have been a low ceiling? He put our program in that position.
reason we didn't go to sweet 16 is offense went into a prevent offense mode. That's why there's a low ceiling. Lack of offense

reason we didn't go to sweet 16 is offense went into a prevent offense mode. That's why there's a low ceiling. Lack of offense

The Internet is the bane of college coaches existence.

You have thousands of unhappy fans and alumni when their team loses and between stock trades they have to post something.

It's just crazy.

At our place they hated Brian Kelly-----guy won 10 or more 5 straight years and got to Playoffs twice and they hated him because he didn't win the whole thing-----and then they hated him more when he left. :):)

The bust Mike Brey's balls constantly-----doesn't play enough guys .

Hey guys----this is the way he plays----6 or 7 guys----always has. He isn't changing now and he puts out pretty good teams at a place which is anything but a basketball hotbed.

The Internet is the bane of college coaches existence.

You have thousands of unhappy fans and alumni when their team loses and between stock trades they have to post something.

It's just crazy.

At our place they hated Brian Kelly-----guy won 10 or more 5 straight years and got to Playoffs twice and they hated him because he didn't win the whole thing-----and then they hated him more when he left. :):)

The bust Mike Brey's balls constantly-----doesn't play enough guys .

Hey guys----this is the way he plays----6 or 7 guys----always has. He isn't changing now and he puts out pretty good teams at a place which is anything but a basketball hotbed.
So that means everyone loves the hockey coach?

So he prevented Myles from making that dunk?

Doesn’t matter what offense we were in. Based on everything else it took to get us to that moment, good or bad, Pike put us in a position to win.

Because our 6’11” center missed a dunk doesn’t mean Pike has a “very low ceiling.”

I remember the missed foul shot and then houston made the three. That was a killer.

I remember the missed foul shot and then houston made the three. That was a killer.
Yes, we neglected to box out. That was another play that was poor execution by one of our guys (who is in the NBA now).

Doesn’t make sense to say Pike has a “very low ceiling” because either one of those plays (the missed dunk being the other one) if executed properly, puts us in the Sweet 16 with an excellent chance to advance possibly to the Final 4.

Last edited:
Loosing two of our best players in the last decade wasn’t going to affect us at all this year 🤷🏻‍♂️

***turn on your sarcasm meters please***
He couldn't win a single tournament game with two of our best players in the last decade, a dynamic NBA prospect center and the big ten defensive player of the year. Think about that. They lost to a mediocre ND team.

Please don't talk about the final four seriously when all we did in that game was blow a big lead

He couldn't win a single tournament game with two of our best players in the last decade, a dynamic NBA prospect center and the big ten defensive player of the year. Think about that. They lost to a mediocre ND team.
Lol dynamic nba prospect is a bit of a stretch (think he will still have a career in the NBA,) cliff wasn’t the cliff of this year, last year. Our defensive player of the year has been and will be injury prone. Again, before Pike, and not counting 2003 or 04, what sustained success or better track record are you used to with a Rutgers basketball coach? To steal from the sopranos, you’re like an old lady with a Virginia ham under her arm who’s crying because she has no bread. He literally took a dumpster fire shit hole, and turned us into a program that is now getting looks from top 100 kids and is making the tournament. Yes he needs an offense… but he also needs kids that can shoot and run the offense. IMHO the ‘23 and the ‘24 classes will quell all this bullshit whining

Reactions: Kbee3 and shields
Please don't talk about the final four seriously when all we did in that game was blow a big lead
So he gets no credit for the team having a big lead to begin with, only for the team blowing it?

So he gets no credit for the team having a big lead to begin with, only for the team blowing it?
Yea? Do you want a cookie for having been up big in a game we lost?

It's a loss. That's all it is and all anyone outside of this message board will ever remember it being.

But hey, at least we were up in a game we lost. Let's build that statue.

Lol dynamic nba prospect is a bit of a stretch (think he will still have a career in the NBA,) cliff wasn’t the cliff of this year, last year. Our defensive player of the year has been and will be injury prone. Again, before Pike, and not counting 2003 or 04, what sustained success or better track record are you used to with a Rutgers basketball coach? To steal from the sopranos, you’re like an old lady with a Virginia ham under her arm who’s crying because she has no bread. He literally took a dumpster fire shit hole, and turned us into a program that is now getting looks from top 100 kids and is making the tournament. Yes he needs an offense… but he also needs kids that can shoot and run the offense. IMHO the ‘23 and the ‘24 classes will quell all this bullshit whining
I don't care how poorly managed we were. Making the tournament is not some huge deal.

"At Rutgers it is" is a BS response. We now make more money than most power five schools and we have one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the United States to pick guys up from.

Other guys can win here and they can win more tournament games for what we are able to pay.

Whose fault is it for not developing cliff enough that he's NBA ready by year 2? At other schools with actual bigmen coaching he'd probably be demolishing guys. Mods harped about how this was a 2-3 year kid max and potential one and done. Pike is slowly transforming him into a 4 year basketball player before going pro, if he's even good enough by the end of year 4 to go to the NBA. Under pike, I certainly doubt it. He should have left for an NIL deal to a real coach with this poor supporting cast at Rutgers behind him

Yea? Do you want a cookie for having been up big in a game we lost?

It's a loss. That's all it is and all anyone outside of this message board will ever remember it being.

But hey, at least we were up in a game we lost. Let's build that statue.
They lost the game, yes. So why mention the lead they had at all, if it’s irrelevant?

I was nervous - thought SP was getting fired after Temple; at least it waited until Miami.

Tom Young was pretty good.
Bill Foster too.
Of course that was a long time ago.

Reactions: Christian0007
The game is 40 minutes. No lead is safe. I didnt like some of the lineups out there. Reiber is in a complete fog this year. Miami has good guards and they cut into that lead very quickly. I love Pike. Every coach makes mistakes.

Btw, Creighton was 1-21 from 3 point range for most of their game tonight until a shooter got hot at the end and hit like 4 in a row. These were mostly uncontested 3 pointers and Creighton can shoot.

Imo, we are a better team than Miami. But you cant have lapses, especially on the road.

Reactions: BillyC80 and FastMJ

Oh, good. The ceiling/floor stuff. How tired. How tedious. How inaccurate.

child: learn the difference between an opinion and trolling. this is the round table...we're supposed to be above this crap
Don’t think any message boards are above anything when frequented by so many as*hats. Not you, but in this circumstance sweeping generalizations should be allowed.

Oh, good. The ceiling/floor stuff. How tired. How tedious. How inaccurate.
Its been true for 7 years. Its true until proven false. And tbh im more than ok with it. Our bball program is the equivalent to a 6-6/7-5 football program and id kill for that

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I don't care how poorly managed we were. Making the tournament is not some huge deal.

"At Rutgers it is" is a BS response. We now make more money than most power five schools and we have one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the United States to pick guys up from.

Other guys can win here and they can win more tournament games for what we are able to pay.

Whose fault is it for not developing cliff enough that he's NBA ready by year 2? At other schools with actual bigmen coaching he'd probably be demolishing guys. Mods harped about how this was a 2-3 year kid max and potential one and done. Pike is slowly transforming him into a 4 year basketball player before going pro, if he's even good enough by the end of year 4 to go to the NBA. Under pike, I certainly doubt it. He should have left for an NIL deal to a real coach with this poor supporting cast at Rutgers behind him

A coach's job is to build a roster to put the team in a position to win.

A players job is to listen, work and execute.

Under Pike the team has pretty much been in a position to win in almost every game over the past 3-4 seasons. Prior to Pike the team was pretty much in a position to lose every game. The loss to Houston was a result of lack of execution on key plays down the stretch such as the missed dunk by Johnson .....but RU certainly had a significant chance to win that game. At some point Pike will have run his course at RU......but we are nowhere near that point.

Fans like you who only show up to make negative comments after losses in order to point fingers just don't get it. I'm glad I avoid the premium board because it sounds like you are ruining that place with idiocy.

The game is 40 minutes. No lead is safe. I didnt like some of the lineups out there. Reiber is in a complete fog this year. Miami has good guards and they cut into that lead very quickly. I love Pike. Every coach makes mistakes.

Btw, Creighton was 1-21 from 3 point range for most of their game tonight until a shooter got hot at the end and hit like 4 in a row. These were mostly uncontested 3 pointers and Creighton can shoot.

Imo, we are a better team than Miami. But you cant have lapses, especially on the road.
Teams are paying more attention to Reiber this year. No open uncontested 3s for him anymore. His stock is dropping almost as fast as FTX right now.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Its been true for 7 years. Its true until proven false. And tbh im more than ok with it. Our bball program is the equivalent to a 6-6/7-5 football program and id kill for that
if you're trying to force an analogy, we're more like Iowa in football...very solid every year, and spike every once in a while (like coming in 4th last year and getting a double bye). That's much better than .500.

And...things are getting better...let's see how things look in 3-4 years with some of the talent that's coming in and developing.

i can't believe you're still trying to force fit your narrative here. Take the L man.

Quite frankly, anyone who thinks pike deserves a statue for winning one single NCAA tournament game has pathetic expectations. It's like people think it's hard to make the NCAA tournament with the talent in our area. Look at shu. Less money, more results.

Less money more results....?? How many NCAA tournament wins does SHU have since Pike has been hired??? One....

Wanna wager thar SHU has a 2023 Top 40-50 kid recruited or does RU....

There's something I mentioned under the utter destruction of our fanbase during the Ash era and has carried over to the now failing to show any progress Schiano 2.0 era....there is a level of despair with the RU fanbase.

I don't think Pike is without criticism BUT the frustration and anger comes from Schiano failing to deliver when Pike has. There has to be some understanding that without Pike succeeding where football is failing, is the only thing keeping people from asking this general question??

Does RU belong in the B1G?? If you remove Pike from the equation and 3 straight NCAA teams in a row, what else does RU have going for it??

Pike haw bailed out a RU fanbase when the last 6 to 7 years has been a disaster. Pike is credible and has built a legitimate program, something seemingly impossible for football to figure out. Misguided anger is going be at all time high with every hiccup I see. Carry on folks!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT