ADVERTISEMENT

Pikell:Offense/Substitution Patterns KYK!

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Lets start with the offense or lack there of an offense; I just don't know what in the hell we practice; Our first two possessions of the game today we get the ball into Myles and he scores two buckets and then he barely sees the ball the rest of the half and this is against a team with no real big man no excuse for that
And in the words of KYK and someone said in BAC's game recap this is remedial 8th grade offense but I have to say when I played basketball in 8th grade and we ran more of an offense than Rutgers does;
All we do is have 1 guy dribble the ball and have 4 guys standing around the perimeter just watching, we set no off the ball back screens, there is no movement, we don't even know how to set up a pick and roll with Myles; you can't have him set a screen at the 3 point line and expect a pick and roll it is just way too far out for the pick and roll to work; and I am sorry but JY has got to start over Mulcahy; He has more turnovers than baskets the last two games and when the ball gets in his hands it just stops and he holds it so even when he doesn't turn it over we are forced to take a rushed shot because he holds the ball for at least 5 seconds every time he touches the ball; he cannot create a shot or break down the defense;
Montez wow he needs to only play 5-6 minutes max a game; he can't shoot and even today just recklessly drives to the basket out of control, never passes the ball and is just not an offensive threat when he is on the court

Substitution patterns: I am going to skip to a key point in the game today we had just cut the lead from 15 to 8 in from the 11 minute mark to the 8:50 mark with a lineup that was working well and what does he do he takes out JY and puts in Paul Mulcahy just absurd you have a lineup that is clicking and making a comeback and then you go and break it up and well the rest is history today; this has been Pikell's MO as guys are hot and then he just takes them out
2. Why in the hell with no foul trouble is Myles only playing 24 minutes which is how much he has played the last 2 games; I know Cliff has shown some improvement but there is no way if Myles is not in foul trouble that he should be playing a minimum of 32 minutes;
3. JY has got to start over PM and you need to play your best guys for 35 minutes there is no reason they can't and you have to reduce the minutes of other guys and I know RHJ has obviously been in an extreme slump but he still has to play;
4. One of the reason's JY has had so many turnovers lately is he is in a lineup with Montez, Cliff and Mulcahy so you have 3 non factors on offense so what else can he do but try to make something happen since no one else in that lineup can

Reactions: RUBOB72
I’ve been thinking about what the real life dynamic of this locker room is and how that may he manifesting itself on the court and I think I got it.

More than anything it feels like there has been a concerted effort since day 1 of Jacob Young entering the program to prevent him from being THE GUY and prevent him from the chance to be the leader of this team even though EVERYONE knows he the best player on the team.

Think about it..

Our first two possessions of the game today we get the ball into Myles and he scores two buckets and then he barely sees the ball the rest of the half and this is against a team with no real big man no excuse for that

Basic fundamental basketball to get the ball to the big guy.

we don't even know how to set up a pick and roll with Myles; you can't have him set a screen at the 3 point line and expect a pick and roll it is just way too far out for the pick and roll to work;

I've been saying this for a while but we continue to set that useless high screen every time down the floor.

Pike pulling Young at that stage in the game was absolutely maddening. He had the hot hand and was basically dragging the team back into the game, inexcusable to put him on the bench.

I agree about Myles too. This is two games in a row where he was not even close to being in foul trouble and was kept on the bench for extended periods of time, I do not understand the reasoning.

Your point about Mulcahy is an important one. It doesn’t matter how good of a job you’re doing moving the ball, if you have a guy who hesitates on an open look when the ball comes his way, you’re giving the defense time to adjust. And for a guy who is primarily a facilitator, he has been a turnover machine.

I’ve been thinking about what the real life dynamic of this locker room is and how that may he manifesting itself on the court and I think I got it.

More than anything it feels like there has been a concerted effort since day 1 of Jacob Young entering the program to prevent him from being THE GUY and prevent him from the chance to be the leader of this team even though EVERYONE knows he the best player on the team.

Think about it..
What are you basing this on?

Think about it..
Never thought about that but by Pikell not starting JY who is by far your best player and SHOOTER! you may have something there; so in your theory Pikell is part and parcel to this how he is using him and today was not the first time he has taken out JY out when he was hot,, I can't remember the other game but he just hit a couple of shots including a 3 pointer and he takes him out right after he hit the 3

Never thought about that but by Pikell not starting JY who is by far your best player and SHOOTER! you may have something there; so in your theory Pikell is part and parcel to this how he is using him and today was not the first time he has taken out JY out when he was hot,, I can't remember the other game but he just hit a couple of shots including a 3 pointer and he takes him out right after he hit the 3
Go back and look at what was happening during the five game losing streak in January. The reason JY (and Tez) were yanked from the starting five was because during the five game skid, they were forcing the issue and driving to the basket into 2 or 3 defenders for contested layups way too frequently

He mixed up the lineup and we started winning some games again, and in the meantime JY has largely fixed what he needed to fix. It wasn’t an ill intentioned decision, it made sense based on what JY had been doing in games last month. But I agree that he should be back in the starting five moving forward.

Reactions: S_Janowski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT