ADVERTISEMENT

Pikell Sucks

If someone told me in November that we would have a geo shot at the buzzer to get to the ncaa tournament , we would have signed .

In game it was really hard to make a move away from Young. I think it was worse to continue to not give Geo help with a ball screen. As was said, he doesn’t beat guys off the dribble to cause penetration, and had not been successful pure iso all game.

With screen action he was a bit better. I don’t blame Geo the player at all for that. It’s just not his game. I think Pike overrates Geos iso ability - in fact I think he’s said out loud as much - which explains the over use. He’s got a great step back. But its really just one tool and not a great idea to live by that when there are no other threats to the defense at the time before making your move.

Not that many actually

What five games?

Was talking to a friend about this. From our memory Geo has one career game winning shot which was Nebraska last season.

Northwestern last year he hit a 3 to force ot and his clutch shot in ot we were up 2 at the time, still clutch but not a game winner. (Nebby and Northwestern were a combined 5-35 in conference. IIRC Geo went OFF against Northwstern and against Nebby he barely played and had a bad game otherwise.)

Purdue last year same thing, clutch but not a game winner. Technically Ron hit the game winner at Purdue last year

This year failed vs iowa (fouled no call, BS ref) and 2 years ago missed 3 that would have beat Penn state at the RAC.

TO BE CLEAR, we are just setting the record straight here, not insulting Geo. Game winning shot opportunities aren’t very common.

Only other one to come to mind 2 years ago geo hit jumper to put us up 3 vs tOSU with 12 seconds left (Mathis hit the go ahead shot with a minute left).

The thing is, a lot of players were otherwise clutch in those close games.

Are there others I missed? Not sure

Not all game winners but so many huge clutch shots. If you don’t know this you didn’t watch last season. For a guy who wasn’t all that amazing most games his ability to make the big shot was even more impressive

Last edited:
I have no problem with the call at the end of regulation. JY has blown so many end of half possessions and Geo has been clutch throughout his career. It wasn’t a terrible look. Just didn’t fall.
I was thinking about the same thing. He has dribbled it off his foot too many times in this situation to trust JY. Hell, JY dribbled it of his foot just two possessions before the last one and then fouled the guy that he kick it to. those 2 foul shots put Minny down by 3. I love JY, but he has had a habit of losing focus in crunch time.

Make no bones about it, JY was magnificent today. With that said, I still want the ball in Geo's hand at the end of the game. I know one can point to JY's dominance today, but we've seen on at least 3 separate occasions where JY at the end of the half has either dribbled the ball off his foot, lost the ball entirely or made a bad pass. Still, if it wasn't for JY we would not have had the last shot in regulation, and Minny could have gone down the other way and broken our hearts.

Juxtaposing a "happy ending" with a post-Gonzaga-win death by busload of nuns was an example of your untouchably* excellent writing.

*By "untouchably", I mean that it would be fair for you to dance back and forth across the metaphorical stage, in metaphorical MC Hammer pants, and accurately claim, to the rest of us less poetic writers, that we "can't touch this".

Any other juxtapositions with "untouchably" and busloads of nuns, was unintentional and coincidental. Naturally.
I knew exactly whaat you were talking about even before you qualified "untouchably." Thanks for the kind words, and for the metaphorical conversation. When all is said and done--happy ending or not--I never metaphor I didn't like.

This guy is so out of his league he just has no feel for the game we run no plays he just sucks how do you give the ball to Geo when he misses 3 straight and not JY!!!
Sure let’s fire the guy who got RU back to the NCAA’s after a 30 year drought, and bring in the next EJ. Makes perfect sense because Rutgers is gonna rutgers. Oy Vey can everyone just calm TF down now!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Developing players, recruiting fit, retaining players, game planning, being the face of the program and winning is all part of being a coach. By all those measures, Pikiell is the best coach we've had in 30 years. He got us in. He develops our players. Our offense hasn't always looked great this year, but it's the analytical best we've had since the advent of KenPom. This is the toughest league Rutgers has ever been in and they are good and they are in the tournament. I liked Bannon. His in game stuff was good. He had tough players... but he's no Pikiell.
Ill give you that Dave. But when I think coach, I think of recruiting, player development, keeping the players focused on bball and school, and most of all in game performance. Iirc, the Big East back then was a pretty damn tough league too plus I think we got screwed over 1 year and should have been in. Gary was up there too. But anywho. I'm far away from Pikeill sucks.

Both are clutch. Geo singlehandedly won the Indiana game this year, won Northwestern last year, won Big East tournament game and multiple other big shots. Unfortunately, my memory is not as good as it used to be
I don't recall any Big East wins lol. Maybe you're thinking of Corey Sanders at the garden?
Yeah, mine's not so great these days either. No worries.

Geo went O-3 with a turnover and a foul in the last 2 and half minutes. Young was playing an amazing game. We needed a win against Nebraska and Geo went 0-6 from 3 point range. I think it's time to stop drinking the Geo is "clutch" kool-aid.

Clutch doesn’t equal perfect, you silly boy.

Geo is clutch.

Your post sucks.

I don't recall any Big East wins lol. Maybe you're thinking of Corey Sanders at the garden?
Yeah, mine's not so great these days either. No worries.

he hit some very clutch step backs at Garden

One thing I must say is that this thread had some really funny posts. I couldn't stop laughing over several posts. Thank you for that in these difficult times.

Reactions: GORU2014
This guy is so out of his league he just has no feel for the game we run no plays he just sucks how do you give the ball to Geo when he misses 3 straight and not JY!!!
To the OP, so ridiculous. JY has an out of control, turnover, problem. He has streaky offensive talent. But he is the definition of a risky bet at the end of a game with the ball in his hands. Baker can make his own shot, and wasn't having a bad game at all. Can you make an argument for not giving the ball to Baker? Sure. I'd disagree and point to so many games that Baker won for us with last minute heroics, even when he wasn't having the best game. I guess you missed those games because you aren't a real RU fan?

Also, on JY's best game at Rutgers, we BARELY beat a bad Minny team that is not going to the NCAA Tournament. Why give the ball to Geo? Because we need to get Geo going if we are to win in the post season. If we have to rely on JY, if JY is the best player on the team by far, we aren't a very good team. That's not saying JY isn't a great player. But to be a great team we need more than just JY. So that's why you still keep giving the guys like Geo the ball.

Also, on the final shot of regulation, Geo almost made the game winning shot. I want him taking that shot every time.

Last edited:
Pike has his favorites and it shows...he benched jy at a point. Jy was a top scorer in the league. And he benched him... yea jy was moving a little out of control sometimes but he is elite and some players you take the good with the bad. But if it were Paul or two in jacobs position they would’ve never left the court.
This guy Rutgers1010 is AZZCLOWN too. only shows up to Sh*t on Coach Pike and the team when we lose. Get F'ing lost. We don't need "Fans" like this.

Reactions: Eagleton96
This guy Rutgers1010 is AZZCLOWN too. only shows up to Sh*t on Coach Pike and the team when we lose. Get F'ing lost. We don't need "Fans" like this.
He makes good points and looks like a baller . Would hope he comments after wins though

He makes good points and looks like a baller . Would hope he comments after wins though
Who thought 3 years ago that we would be tied for 6th place in the Big. Back then some said we would be relegated to the bottom of the conference forever. Based on some of the comments, it would mean that about 10 coaches in the league should be gone!!! Pike has made us relevant and competitive in the toughest conference in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT