ADVERTISEMENT

Pikell Sucks

Geo went O-3 with a turnover and a foul in the last 2 and half minutes. Young was playing an amazing game. We needed a win against Nebraska and Geo went 0-6 from 3 point range. I think it's time to stop drinking the Geo is "clutch" kool-aid.

In game it was really hard to make a move away from Young. I think it was worse to continue to not give Geo help with a ball screen. As was said, he doesn’t beat guys off the dribble to cause penetration, and had not been successful pure iso all game.

With screen action he was a bit better. I don’t blame Geo the player at all for that. It’s just not his game. I think Pike overrates Geos iso ability - in fact I think he’s said out loud as much - which explains the over use. He’s got a great step back. But its really just one tool and not a great idea to live by that when there are no other threats to the defense at the time before making your move.

Dumb? Really? How many clutch game tying, winning or momentum shifting shots has Geo made in his career?

Not that many actually

there is about 5 games last year that say otherwise

there are always better options when you miss.

that is not talking basketball that is playing Monday morning quarterback.

What five games?

Was talking to a friend about this. From our memory Geo has one career game winning shot which was Nebraska last season.

Northwestern last year he hit a 3 to force ot and his clutch shot in ot we were up 2 at the time, still clutch but not a game winner. (Nebby and Northwestern were a combined 5-35 in conference. IIRC Geo went OFF against Northwstern and against Nebby he barely played and had a bad game otherwise.)

Purdue last year same thing, clutch but not a game winner. Technically Ron hit the game winner at Purdue last year

This year failed vs iowa (fouled no call, BS ref) and 2 years ago missed 3 that would have beat Penn state at the RAC.

TO BE CLEAR, we are just setting the record straight here, not insulting Geo. Game winning shot opportunities aren’t very common.

Only other one to come to mind 2 years ago geo hit jumper to put us up 3 vs tOSU with 12 seconds left (Mathis hit the go ahead shot with a minute left).

The thing is, a lot of players were otherwise clutch in those close games.

Are there others I missed? Not sure

Last edited:
I love the way Young is playing but hard to argue anybody is more clutch than Geo
What's the definition of clutch? Making a few remarkable end game performances or consistently showing up in big games we need to win?

In game it was really hard to make a move away from Young. I think it was worse to continue to not give Geo help with a ball screen. As was said, he doesn’t beat guys off the dribble to cause penetration, and had not been successful pure iso all game.

With screen action he was a bit better. I don’t blame Geo the player at all for that. It’s just not his game. I think Pike overrates Geos iso ability - in fact I think he’s said out loud as much - which explains the over use. He’s got a great step back. But its really just one tool and not a great idea to live by that when there are no other threats to the defense at the time before making your move.

Not that many actually

What five games?

Was talking to a friend about this. From our memory Geo has one career game winning shot which was Nebraska last season.

Northwestern last year he hit a 3 to force ot and his clutch shot in ot we were up 2 at the time, still clutch but not a game winner. (Nebby and Northwestern were a combined 5-35 in conference. IIRC Geo went OFF against Northwstern and against Nebby he barely played and had a bad game otherwise.)

Purdue last year same thing, clutch but not a game winner. Technically Ron hit the game winner at Purdue last year

This year failed vs iowa (fouled no call, BS ref) and 2 years ago missed 3 that would have beat Penn state at the RAC.

TO BE CLEAR, we are just setting the record straight here, not insulting Geo. Game winning shot opportunities aren’t very common.

Only other one to come to mind 2 years ago geo hit jumper to put us up 3 vs tOSU with 12 seconds left (Mathis hit the go ahead shot with a minute left).

If it wasn’t for Weiscamps (sp?) miracle shot he would have had game winner against Iowa.

Reactions: Plum Street
Let's actually talk basketball. The Geo ISO attempts at the end of the game were a low percentage outcoome from the start. You have given uo on every other player on your team and gambled your season on Geo going one on one for a score.

1) Geo is not good at taking guys off the dribble. It's not even something he tries that often. When he does on occassion do it is when he catches the D sleeping and not expecting it. One on one beating someone off the dribble is not part of his everyday game. But here you place the entire season on him being able to do it?

2) Geo also will never look to pass in that situation. The game was won by Young beating his guys off the dribble and either finishing or finding the open teammate. Everyone on the planet new Geo was never passing on those plays. The plays were going to end with Geo Hail Mary's period.

3) So the strategy was to give up on the rest of the team and win the game on a low percentage, on one, shot from Geo. This is your best case scenario when running that play. Overtime showed there were better options.

4) Here's a thought. If you still wanted Geo to take the last shot. Put the ball in someone else's hands and run a couple of screens for him. Or let Young dribble penetrate and kick it out to him.

Geo versus the world was just bad coaching.
Ed, you're wasting your time. He is so hyped up as the face on the program nobody wants to deal with the facts.
The guy that should have had the ball in the end eventually got it in the end.

Also BTW..Geo Baker 2019 - 2020...yes
This year's Geo Baker? No. Different ballplayer.

Not that many actually

What five games?

Hitting big shots late is something Geo is the best at, on our team. It doesn’t have to be the absolute game winner, but a late shot we absolutely need
When JY turned it over and then fouled the guy who took it away from him, it could have been a reason why we lost,had we lost

We were fortunate the guy missed both

I like JY.

But I trust Geo more late in the game JY turns it over when trying to do too much. This is why I trust geo more in that last minute situation

Just an opinion, and I do appreciate much of what JY does, he is important to the team

This title is awful. We all have our criticisms of coaches and nobody is perfect but THIS is not the day. Like it or not, Pike took us from crap to two consecutive NCAA appearances. For critics, including me how do you explain that? For me, I'm celebrating with bubbly and thanking Steve for what he has done for Rutgers basketball.

If it wasn’t for Weiscamps (sp?) miracle shot he would have had game winner against Iowa.
And if not for Dread’s three pointer last year @Penn State, he would have had another one. Regardless, Idk why we’re suddenly acting like only game winners count as clutch shots here.

Sorry, Simplistic measure imo. If that's the grading system. Ok. Pike is certainly the most accomplished and has statistically worked wonders in a brutal league.

Developing players, recruiting fit, retaining players, game planning, being the face of the program and winning is all part of being a coach. By all those measures, Pikiell is the best coach we've had in 30 years. He got us in. He develops our players. Our offense hasn't always looked great this year, but it's the analytical best we've had since the advent of KenPom. This is the toughest league Rutgers has ever been in and they are good and they are in the tournament. I liked Bannon. His in game stuff was good. He had tough players... but he's no Pikiell.

Not that many actually

What five games?

sorry. I apologize I am talking big shots down the stretch. Not literally game winning shots. Geo has been the guy to take them and make them. Anything else is revisionist history.

He needs to repent first, take the abuse, then forgiveness might find its way to him after a Special Committee, headed by @MrsScrew, convenes and takes a vote. I don't like his odds, but you never know.
I like your thinking here. But I had already forgiven him - almost immediately after reading his post. My thinking at the time was, what if I get run over by a busload of nuns before I had a chance to forgive him?

I don't want to take that kind of karma with me to the pearly gates, or, you know, wherever I'm headed.

To me it's ok, as the game thread is sheer reaction with tons of "he sucks" and "we suck" and "I hate this friggin" team" and "wtf are you fukkityfukkfukksters doing?" and more, because that's what we say during a game in person (most of us). But to start a new thread like that is just bad form.
We will have to agree to disagree. However I had to give your post a like because of "fukkityfukkfukksters" which you know will make an appearance or two at our tailgates this Fall.

Hm. I just hope I remember to not bring it out in earshot of the little ones. Can you imagine them running around quoting me? Would be like when N was little and was running around the house, after watching Snakes on a Plane with me, quoting Sam Jackson's expletive-filled quotes repeatedly. The wife was not best pleased with me at that very moment, no she wasn't. LOL

IIRC Ron hit the game winner against Purdue

The second game? Yeah maybe.

I mean Geo has hit a number of clutch shots that I remember off the top of my head even if they weren't technically game winners:

a few against Purdue last year on the road
Nebraska
Northwestern, like a ton of them

The year before
Iowa (before their guy threw in that prayer at the end to negate it)
one at the end of the Minnesota game at home

Reactions: Scarlet83
I like your thinking here. But I had already forgiven him - almost immediately after reading his post. My thinking at the time was, what if I get run over by a busload of nuns before I had a chance to forgive him?

I don't want to take that kind of karma with me to the pearly gates, or, you know, wherever I'm headed.
I can respect that, as long as you get hit by the bus after our Sweet 16 victory over Gonzaga, thus guaranteeing a happy ending* into the pearly gates.

*Ya know, the other kind.

Reactions: mildone
What's the definition of clutch? Making a few remarkable end game performances or consistently showing up in big games we need to win?
Both are clutch. Geo singlehandedly won the Indiana game this year, won Northwestern last year, won Big East tournament game and multiple other big shots. Unfortunately, my memory is not as good as it used to be

Reactions: Scarlet83
Pike did a great job adjusting the rotations today. How could you not put the ball in Geo’s hands at crunch time at the end of regulation when he’s delivered so many times? Credit Pike with going with the hot hand and letting JY run the point in OT.

I can respect that, as long as you get hit by the bus after our Sweet 16 victory over Gonzaga, thus guaranteeing a happy ending* into the pearly gates.

*Ya know, the other kind.
Juxtaposing a "happy ending" with a post-Gonzaga-win death by busload of nuns was an example of your untouchably* excellent writing.

*By "untouchably", I mean that it would be fair for you to dance back and forth across the metaphorical stage, in metaphorical MC Hammer pants, and accurately claim, to the rest of us less poetic writers, that we "can't touch this".

Any other juxtapositions with "untouchably" and busloads of nuns, was unintentional and coincidental. Naturally.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
The second game? Yeah maybe.

I mean Geo has hit a number of clutch shots that I remember off the top of my head even if they weren't technically game winners:

a few against Purdue last year on the road
Nebraska
Northwestern, like a ton of them

The year before
Iowa (before their guy threw in that prayer at the end to negate it)
one at the end of the Minnesota game at home

Some here are asking for absolute game winners, which is an unfair question

As we have seen, Geo hit what should have been game winners (iowa, Penn state)
but the other team had a last second answer

The real question is who do you trust to make an important basket late, when it matters and the answer, for me, is Geo

Didn’t he hit one against OSU at the RAC a couple of years ago?

Pike did a great job adjusting the rotations today. How could you not put the ball in Geo’s hands at crunch time at the end of regulation when he’s delivered so many times? Credit Pike with going with the hot hand and letting JY run the point in OT.
That's how I view it, too.

From the cheap seats in the TV audience, the whole coaching thing looks so easy. As if there are never any trade-offs to be made when making adjustments in who is on the court together. As if players are all just chess pieces to move around and can be relied upon to perform 100% consistently at all times.

Pike tried different things in this game, like he does in every game. Some worked out better than others.

When they didn't, it was because players are not actually mindless pawns with perfect consistency and because, in the dynamically changing environment of a live game, various combinations that might've worked five minutes earlier, or in moments from prior games, might've suddenly stopped working in the current moment.

Nonetheless, at the end of the game, Pike's team had more points than the opponent. And he's done that more times than not this season and brought the team to an NCAA playoff berth for the first time in a very long time.

Good job, coach. Keep up the good work.

This title is awful. We all have our criticisms of coaches and nobody is perfect but THIS is not the day. Like it or not, Pike took us from crap to two consecutive NCAA appearances. For critics, including me how do you explain that? For me, I'm celebrating with bubbly and thanking Steve for what he has done for Rutgers basketball.
Both Archie and Ricky will probably available replacements at the end of the season

Some here are asking for absolute game winners, which is an unfair question

As we have seen, Geo hit what should have been game winners (iowa, Penn state)
but the other team had a last second answer

The real question is who do you trust to make an important basket late, when it matters and the answer, for me, is Geo
Agreed. It's never a bad call because Geo's one of the most composed players on our team in crunch time. I can't fault Pike for that.

But what's really great is how Pike and crew recognized Geo's fatigue (or whatever) and also recognized that Young was playing with great composure and confidence and decision-making all game long. Making the decision to put the ball in Young's hands for the rest of the game proved to be exactly the right adjustment at exactly the right time.

While it looks, in hindsight, like an easy and obvious choice, it was always going to be a risky one based on Young's not entirely infrequent loss of composure at various times over the past two seasons. Was a really good job by Pike.

Reactions: wheezer
JY had a great game. However, there have been at least 3 games where the first half ended with JY as the go to - resulting in a turnover and in some cases points the other way. Pike made that right call in that situation. Minnesota also had 3 players playing with 4 fouls. Even with the momentum swing you like your chances in that situation against a depleted roster. You want to make sure Minnesota doesn’t take another shot in regulation first and foremost,

Reactions: RUnTeX and hiwater
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT