ADVERTISEMENT

Pike's technical

Was at the game, he sprinted down the court showing more emotion than I have ever seen from him. Was almost on the OSU bench. Great timing though as I truly dont think they call that foul on the spencer 3 if Pike didnt get that T.

There have been some posters who have been saying for a while that Pike needs to get T'd up to show the refs he isnt going to take it anymore. Well it finally came today and I think the team seemed to kick it up a notch afterwards. I really think this year so far has been Pike's best coaching job yet. You lose your top two scorers from two (or three) straight NCAA teams and he gets this group to play a style that maximizes their strengths.

It was brilliant and he has a right to say right there and then …”**** you refs , I have had enough “…

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Tom Young was a master at getting the T.
Pike was perfect today with that T.
And he had to protect Caleb who was absolutely clobbered from behind.

Yes …Tom was very reserved usually with the refs until he had enough . He would have been proud of Steve sticking up for Caleb there and timing it right

Thar call was in front of me …it was awful

For those in 100's near OSU bench.

Am I correct that Holtsman taunted McConnell on what I believe was a charge but they called a block. He was animated and it looked like he pointed at McConnell
Yes. I sit right across from the visitor bench and to me it looked like Holtmann was yelling “flop” and sort of mocking Caleb. Caleb took exception and someone pulled Caleb away.

Am I correct that Holtsman taunted McConnell on what I believe was a charge but they called a block. He was animated and it looked like he pointed at McConnell
He 100% did, it was horrible. Caleb went up to him after and had to be restrained.

Holtmann will be fired soon enough and it will be well deserved

Last edited:
Yes. I sit right across from the visitor bench and to me it looked like Holtmann was yelling “flop” and sort of mocking Caleb. Caleb took exception and someone pulled Caleb away.
Thanks. I am in 313 but Holtmann kept doing the block motion and I saw him point. He was more demonstrative than I have ever seen him.

Yup there's another thread on it. He looked a complete fool and I'm sure he regrets it

He picked a good time to get T’d up. The team and the crowd needed a real kick in the pants.
And OSU already had the ball... and Pike was right.. that was a horrid foul by OSU.

I wonder if Pike told the team to get physical at halftime.. because I saw us foul many times and not get called. And that matched what the refs allowed OSU to do in the first half.

More often than not it seems the refs allow very physical play in the B1G TEN including what seem to be obvious fouls.

And while I am thinking of it.. what about that Cam Spencer miss with the very late foul call? Watch that one on replay.. the ref watches teh whole thing.. sees the foul.. but does not call until he sees if the ball goes in. He doesn't even look to whistle until OSU has the board and is moving up the court. I had no idea what the call was... that was how late it was.

SO.. I wonder... would that ref have called it if the ball went in? Would that ref have called it if RU rebounded the ball? I think not.. and while appreciate getting the call at all.. it was highly suspect WHEN he called it.

@Scangg saw you down near where the T was called (hard to miss 😂). Any info on what Pike said? I saw him run across midcourt and knew it was coming
I was actually talking to someone getting a beer at halftime and late getting to my seat and missed it. Can't wait to rewatch the game and see what happened

It looked like he was. Seemed inappropriate and Caleb took exception to it as well, rightfully so. I was right behind the bench, but coach's back is to us so you can't see exactly

Reactions: GORU2014
And OSU already had the ball... and Pike was right.. that was a horrid foul by OSU.

I wonder if Pike told the team to get physical at halftime.. because I saw us foul many times and not get called. And that matched what the refs allowed OSU to do in the first half.

More often than not it seems the refs allow very physical play in the B1G TEN including what seem to be obvious fouls.

And while I am thinking of it.. what about that Cam Spencer miss with the very late foul call? Watch that one on replay.. the ref watches teh whole thing.. sees the foul.. but does not call until he sees if the ball goes in. He doesn't even look to whistle until OSU has the board and is moving up the court. I had no idea what the call was... that was how late it was.

SO.. I wonder... would that ref have called it if the ball went in? Would that ref have called it if RU rebounded the ball? I think not.. and while appreciate getting the call at all.. it was highly suspect WHEN he called it.

I hate when refs do that

They called a similar thing against us in the NW (not nearly as late) but same thing - clearly waited to see if it went in - then called the foul upon the miss

Just call the foul when it happens!!!

Just a really bad look (for the ref) to wait to see if it goes in

Both times (against us in the NW game and last night) it was arguable if there was a foul at all but if the ref had just called it when it happened no one would be talking about it

Last edited:
Wonder if the refs knew about Pike’s history. When Pike gets a T, it must have been really bad :).

I hate when refs do that

They called a similar thing against us in the NW (not nearly as late) but same thing - clearly waited to see if it went in - then called the foul upon the miss

Just call the foul when it happens!!!

Just a really bad look (for the ref) to wait to see if it goes in

Both times (against us in the NW game and last night) it was arguable if there was a foul at all but if the ref had just called it when it happened no one would be talking about it
Did we get a replay of that foul? I don't remember it if we did.
Easiest call to make, it's out in the wide-open floor, easy to see, and should be an instant whistle on contact.
Has the Big Ten ever released info on their process? Like does a head of officials review the video and meet with guys after games, breakdown good stuff and bad like coaches and players do? I know the NCAA has points of emphasis, does the Big Ten? or is it all on the NCAA? With the money in the Big Ten it seems nonsensical that they wouldn't be active in governing their game officials.

ADVERTISEMENT