Votes: 25 15.3%
  • 40%

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 20%

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I completely respect how difficult of a job it is and he will get it done. No doubt. Book it

You have to get 3 things right here.
1. He will get us on the path to be a threat to make the tournament
2. Rutgers will come up with the $ to pay him
3. He will want to stay and not go to a "better" program

My expectation is if we ultimately make the tournament it doesn't come out of left field. There will be a year where we really look like we turned the corner and at that point Pikiell will be in demand.

Reactions: RutgHoops
I said 60% only because it was the next highest option above 50/50. But really, it all depends on his recruiting and I'd give it a C+ so far.

I said 60% only because it was the next highest option above 50/50. But really, it all depends on his recruiting and I'd give it a C+ so far.
A C+ loll come on man. He walked into a dumpster fire and has landed multiple 4 star recruits and 4 star transfers. Juco All Americans. Already another 4 star for next year. What was he going to walk into the EJ embarrassment and land a top 25 class right away? If his recruiting has been this good on a last place team just imagine once the product on the court starts winning

A C+ loll come on man. He walked into a dumpster fire and has landed multiple 4 star recruits and 4 star transfers. Juco All Americans. Already another 4 star for next year. What was he going to walk into the EJ embarrassment and land a top 25 class right away? If his recruiting has been this good on a last place team just imagine once the product on the court starts winning
I'm not comparing Rutgers to Rutgers history. I'm comparing Rutgers to the rest of Div I, which is whom we're competing against for 1 of 68 spots.

My expectation is if we ultimately make the tournament it doesn't come out of left field. There will be a year where we really look like we turned the corner and at that point Pikiell will be in demand.
1. We already on that path. The beginning of the path but definitely on the right path

2. Rutgers will have full B1G share of money in a couple years

3. Once he has this program in the tournament he will have the NJ/NY recruiting grounds for basketball in the B1G conference. The hard part is the turnaround. Once it is turned around there won't be a reason to leave.

I'm not comparing Rutgers to Rutgers history. I'm comparing Rutgers to the rest of Div I, which is whom we're competing against for 1 of 68 spots.
A grade not taking into consideration the circumstances is utterly pointless

A grade not taking into consideration the circumstances is utterly pointless
Why? We've had the same circumstances since 1991. We haven't danced. I think a C+ is fair. I'm not giving him an A just because we're Rutgers.

Reactions: DJK8
Why? We've had the same circumstances since 1991. We haven't danced. I think a C+ is fair. I'm not giving him an A just because we're Rutgers.
If you don't take circumstances into consideration that means that if I took over Duke and their recruiting plummeted but I still edged out Rutgers that I would get a higher grade than Pike in recruiting. It makes zero sense

If not this year, next year, having the same team only losing Doorson and adding Paul Mulcahy, Jacob Young and one more recruits 2019-2020 could be that year to go dancing.

Reactions: BillyC80

I think 4 4*players and 5 Rivals Top 150 players in three classes is a B for anyone in our league not named Indiana, Michigan State and probably Maryland. We haven't seen four of the players: Mathis, Harper, Young and Mulcahy so I think it is tough to give him a letter grade on recruiting.

Reactions: Scangg
Football. Football. That’s where $ goes.

Our athletic department has been constructed where football has to bring in revenue.

We are in deep deep trouble.

I think the opening post should have gone through several more layers of administrative review before being posted on a Rutgers sports board for the public to see.

Football. Football. That’s where $ goes.

Our athletic department has been constructed where football has to bring in revenue.

We are in deep deep trouble.
I think Hobbs has been trying to fix that. Hopefully we're in less trouble

He's not going any place.

He will have us tournament ready in 2-3 years, but committee hasn't been kind to Big Ten teams. Even Penn St got left out last year. (And proved they belong by winning NIT) ..a trip to Dayton could be in the cards Geo’s senior year...

Reactions: AD888

Fail. How do you rate Geo as a recruit? soundcrib, I really hope you answer that question.

I know Geo was #414 in the nation, I think. But Geo PLAYED like a Top 100 recruit. If you doubt that statement, check out the Geo coming out party video vs Purdue at MSG. The video is embedded in the post/article about the Geo interview during B1G media day.

For the record, I give Pikes recruiting a much higher grade. And I look with my eyes at the play on the court to develop my viewpoint, not some recruiting website.

Reactions: AD888 and Unionst
So if Kentucky, Duke or UNC or the NBA comes calling he stays?

He left Stony Brook. I’d think he’d leave Rutgers.
You think those teams will come calling if he never gets us to the NCAA tournament? You’re worried about him leaving before he accomplishes that for us? I don’t see it.

Greene fig, understand your point. What if we beat Purdue last year? Would have been in semis. We can win tourney and get in. Was close to winning 3 games last year. We need better players.

So if Kentucky, Duke or UNC or the NBA comes calling he stays?

He left Stony Brook. I’d think he’d leave Rutgers.
Cmon Greene... man for someone who I think know the game you post dumb things sometimes. There is literally no chance programs like that come after Pike for getting us to the NIT. Honestly it’s highly unlikely they would come after him for getting us to the NCAAs. Sweet sixteen appearance? Ok. Those programs are going after the best of the best.

Greene fig, understand your point. What if we beat Purdue last year? Would have been in semis. We can win tourney and get in. Was close to winning 3 games last year. We need better players.
"We need better players." Exactly. That cannot be disputed.

If Pikiell got Hyatt and/or Massoud then he would get a solid B. B+ perhaps. I'll stick with my C+. We're still picked to be last place. I just look for improvement. 13th place would make me happy at this point.

The reality is it is very difficult to win here. Men’s basketball really isn’t relevant in the area and we have very few fans. We really need that to change for Rutgers to be a semi desirable place to coach.

As for his recruiting (or anyone’s recruiting).....put that star nonsense and throw it in the garbage. Especially for RU recruits. Absolutely useless.

If you go player by player it would be tough to conclude he has done a good job recruiting. At the same time a bit premature to say he has done a bad job.

Let me repeat star rankings at Rutgers means ZERO. I assume a 4 Star that comes to RU has baggage or is incorrectly given 4 Stars. We have enough of a sample size to say this with confidence.

He has done a GREAT job coaching and changing culture here. I think he can win in this conference without “4 and 5 Star” pieces.

"We need better players." Exactly. That cannot be disputed.

If Pikiell got Hyatt and/or Massoud then he would get a solid B. B+ perhaps. I'll stick with my C+. We're still picked to be last place. I just look for improvement. 13th place would make me happy at this point.

And how do you rate Geo as a Pike recruit?

He said in his tenure here. If you don't think he will get us to the dance in his tenure you are basically saying h isn't the coach for us. I voted 100% and I wasn't lying.

In non conference games I will sit in a small college gym and it will be 1/4 full. The radio and newspapers will either ignore the game or barely cover it. The program hasn't been to the NCAAs for 27 years. We have been in the basement for the past 3 years. We are competing in one of the top basketball conferences. We need to win at least half of those games against programs that are infinitely more attractive than ours.

How in the world are you going to convince 15-17 year olds to play for Rutgers? The coach that brings us back to respectability has done an amazing job. Actually getting us to the NCAA tournament requires lightning in the bottle or a long long time.

Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconisn, Ohio State, Purdue and Maryland are in our conference.

Reactions: soundcrib
Did you see Geo in the Indiana and Purdue tournament games?

Of course I did. We played 30+ games.

I have to agree with Fig here. We have unreasonable expectations for Geo right now. Everyone likes referring to his play at MSG but forget his play for the 6 games prior. Or the stinker vs Hartford. Or @ Penn St. And many others.

Not trying to crap on him. He's going to improve being the "man" on this team and am confident he'll be good this year. But I don't see those MSG games being the norm. Its different when the defense now focuses on you instead of Sanders. It'll be a more team oriented approach IMO and he'll average double digits. But I think there will be at least 3 players scoring at a similiar or little less of a rate. (Baker, Gene, Kiss)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT