ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell does not know how to handle Young

RU677381

Sophomore
Apr 21, 2010
If you drive in the lane with two or more guys on you, time to sit.
If you drive into the lane uncontrolled, you sit.
If you miss a basket and do not run back on defense, as happened last night, you sit.

We will be playing a lot of games 0 on 5 if we are sitting players because bad things they do on possessions.

What happens to a player on the defensive end that sits under the basket hoping to get the rebound while the MSU guy untouched gets the rebound?

What happens to the player on consecutive possessions fails to get out on his shooter and a 5 point deficit turns to 11 in 30 seconds?

What happens to the player taking 22 foot 3 pointers without setting his feet?

What happens to the player who despite being our best shooter continually turns down perimeter shots?

The issue is not a single play in one game. He has been doing these all season and shooting
20% plus several turnovers needs to be stoped. He does not learn!

Reactions: CJ1987
Young has obviously been struggling with turnovers and poor decision-making. Pike has been trying to let him play through it, rather then constantly yank him and kill his confidence. He's a kid that wears his heart on his sleeve and needs to be handled accordingly.

He had some success yesterday and the refs helped him out by calling some fouls on his drives. Hopefully, he is being talked to on staying in control and will play more within the offense. He took some of Caleb's minutes yesterday because he was actually effective in the second half.

Montez similarly looked bad against lesser competition at the beginning of last year, but as the athletes got better, was one of the few guys that could generate offense at times.

If you miss a basket and do not run back on defense, as happened last night, you sit.
Or the coach can have better spacing or movement so when he drives, there aren’t two shot blockers waiting there. Anyone can play in control 30 ft away from the basket.

To be fair, Jacob is more of a combo guard learning to play PG. Its a difficult transition. I'm liking his on the ball harassing defense because he's so damn quick. I know its tough to be patient but he was pretty solid vs MSU. Ultimately, Mulcahy will be the answer as you can see he helps organize the offense and has the best court vision and gets the bigs involved. We do have a talented group of guards and Pike is trying to find the right formula for minutes.

How about he kicks it out to someone who’s open when there’s multiple defenders in the lane?
That’s the point. Our guys are standing still and out of his vision. In the MSU game we actually had 2 plays where guys cut to the basket and created passing lanes that resulted in easy buckets. We just have too many guys parking themselves on the 3 pt line. But those guys play with “control”.

He had some success yesterday and the refs helped him out by calling some fouls on his drives. .
this, i am afraid, is accurate. it's not going to be pretty when he doesn't get those calls.

Or the coach can have better spacing or movement so when he drives, there aren’t two shot blockers waiting there. Anyone can play in control 30 ft away from the basket.
The problem is normally when someone drives they can kick it out for someone to hit an open 3 however we don’t have that person

You could easily be describing Geo, Mathis, or Caleb on any given play. Sit them all?

You could easily be describing Geo, Mathis, or Caleb on any given play. Sit them all?

This! Drives me crazy. I don't know why some players can do no wrong...and some can do no right.

All too frequent with RU.

Kicks it someone who's open to do what?
Yeboah, Harper, Geo, McConnell to shoot an open shot.......how’s that?

Young did it again tonight, had great penetration on a play and D collapsed on him, Mulcahy WIDE open on right side, Young just holds the ball. And don’t tell me he didn’t pass it because it’s Mulcahy. You have to make that pass to the open guy. It’s fundamentals 101. Basic stuff.

Yeboah, Harper, Geo, McConnell to shoot an open shot.......how’s that?

Young did it again tonight, had great penetration on a play and D collapsed on him, Mulcahy WIDE open on right side, Young just holds the ball. And don’t tell me he didn’t pass it because it’s Mulcahy. You have to make that pass to the open guy. It’s fundamentals 101. Basic stuff.
We got the win. Let’s enjoy it. Mulcahy was guilty of dribbling out the shot clock with no where to go a few times too. Take the good With the bad.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
You are what your resume says you are. There is a reason he barely played at Texas and avg 6 pts a game.

Every year this board picks one player to ride like a dog all year long. Last year it was Kiss.

Every missed shot is amplified, every TO is the end of the world. Guys like Geo, Harper, McConnell , etc can make the same or much worse mistakes and Crickets....if it's Young, it turns into the biggest mistakes in the history of Rutgers basketball.... it's laughable !!

Last edited:
He has enormous talent. He’s learning how to play within the confines of a team. It’s not easy.

Every year this board picks one player to ride like a dog all year long. Last year it was Kiss.

Every missed shot is amplified, every TO is the end of the world. Guys like Geo, Harper, McConnell , etc can make the same or much worse mistakes and Crickets....if it's Young, it turns into the biggest mistakes in the history of Rutgers basketball.... it's laughable !!

Maybe because the preseason hype was too much. Fans were expecting a starting point guard and not a guy getting 10-15 minutes off the bench.

If expectations were reasonable this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Like last night I see 30 minutes for Young and Mulcahy. Who gets the minutes will be largely a function of the opposition and how much of a liability Mulcahy is on the defensive side.

I worry Young didn't sit out a year, move across the country to have the same role he had at Texas.

I think the issues with fans and Young stem from a few things:
1. Law of first impressions. He started out bad, and so many will view him as bad until shown otherwise.
2. He really did start out pretty bad.
3. The bad things he does are often very noticeable to more casual fans (me included) like the out of control drives and that get stuffed. The things he's done well (mainly on-ball defense) are less noticeable unless you really pay attention.

The dude is fast, extremely athletic, and plays good defense. I think he played very badly in the beginning, has improved a bit the last couple games, and definitely has a lot of potential.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Up close, Young looks like a coiled up cobra ready to strike.
He has an incredible athletic body, and remember the man didn’t play for over a year.

He’s going to be a great asset to this team as the season goes on.
Zap, WBGO was talking about Lindsey this morning. The guys said that she was your dad's granddaughter. Is she your daughter? If this is too personal and over the line, let me know.

This is true and there is usually a reason. Kiss was brought in for offense and hitting 3 pointers. Well, against good competition he could do neither....We learned that the hard way.

Given that Kiss isn't in the rotation this year, maybe he's not the best example to pick for the board being unfair to a player.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
He has enormous talent. He’s learning how to play within the confines of a team. It’s not easy.

He makes a great move to the hoop and the ball rolls out a lot.
He just has to make the shot

He’ll be fine, when you’re only practicing and not preparing to play, you can’t recreate game speed and intensity.
We’re in an elite league, he’s going to contribute greatly sooner than later.

He is sloppy with the ball and does not have great court vision. He also shoots way too much. However, he plays very good on-ball defense. He adds a lot of value there. His attacking style can create some opportunities, which is valuable to an offense that is often stagnant. Last night he drove and missed a layup, but Shaq had an easy follow.

I like Jacob as a 10-15 minute sparkplug.

He is sloppy with the ball and does not have great court vision. He also shoots way too much. However, he plays very good on-ball defense. He adds a lot of value there. His attacking style can create some opportunities, which is valuable to an offense that is often stagnant. Last night he drove and missed a layup, but Shaq had an easy follow.

I like Jacob as a 10-15 minute sparkplug.

I agree with all of this.....the question is would Jacob accept this role?

Reactions: RUChoppin
I'll give you the simple fix. If he typically gets one good pick; he's deadly. Alot of in and out bad luck last night. When he takes on the whole team; he drives right into a crowd and out of control. Give the guy one great high pick and then friggin roll to the hoop. Jacob can either find you open or make the basket when he has that burst. Geo should continue the same thing. He has such a nice stride to the hoop and he's so much taller than the guy guarding him. I feel like he's just beginning to realize his full potential.

Myles finally took a few dribbles at the line and bent his legs and guess what; hit both FTs. Much better than rushing the shots. He's a really talented player who might have NBA potential if he continues to surge,

I agree with all of this.....the question is would Jacob accept this role?

From very limited sample size, he seems like a really affable kid. So, yes? I would guess Pike will be telling him that he loves the defensive effort, but on offense he needs to look for his teammates more and take better care of the ball.

I think he's trending up a bit and as play continues he will either get it or sit more.
Not sure what pike us saying to him...cause I'd rather see direct feedback vs. Subtle messages.
If he controls a bit more he will be really good. And yeah, clearly not the only one that needs to get better.

ADVERTISEMENT