ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell favored Offense?

dkostus

All American
Feb 10, 2002
Now that Pikiell has mostly his own players, can anyone describe what he favors when his actual system is in place? I know what he's said in interviews, but I never caught those good Stony Brook teams.

I feel like the defensive system is in. I kind of think Corey/Deshawn/Mike and the lack of guys that fit what he wanted or could shoot/pass prevented him from ever installing an offense. Does anyone have an idea of what a finished product of a Pikiell offense looks like?

Reactions: MadRU
Good question.

I remember quotes from coach when he came to Rutgers saying he had a top defensive team in the league and he has had the top offense in the league.

I am not sure we will get the final style with this years team. Maybe with Mulcahy, Jacob Young, and hopefully a stretch 4 we will see a version of it during the 2019-2020 season.

So far we can see he is recruiting long versatile players, I think he would like a few more shooters and a few more agile bigs.

Reactions: dkostus
Now that Pikiell has mostly his own players, can anyone describe what he favors when his actual system is in place? I know what he's said in interviews, but I never caught those good Stony Brook teams.

I feel like the defensive system is in. I kind of think Corey/Deshawn/Mike and the lack of guys that fit what he wanted or could shoot/pass prevented him from ever installing an offense. Does anyone have an idea of what a finished product of a Pikiell offense looks like?

It's interesting because Pikiell relied heavily on Jameel Warney at the end, and another guy (Muhammed Al-Emin) during another season they went 13-3 in conference.

But his best year at Stony Brook was 2013, when Warney was a freshman. Dave Coley used the most possessions on the team, but he wasn't very inefficient. Warney was a force inside but they weren't exclusively running offense through him. Tommy Brenton was a useful wing and Anthony Jackson and Marcus Crouse could shoot (36 and 41% from 3).

So I think he's kind of malleable. We'll see a similar mix this year though obviously we're missing a Warney-type inside. It'll be more guard-driven, but not only the Sanders and Baker show like it was last season.

Reactions: njcanesfan
I believe I read somewhere a while back that he said he wanted a fast pace offense where they pushed the ball and tried to get out in transition and run the break. We just haven't had the athletes for that yet.

I think we see a different style of offense this year simply from losing Sanders and Freeman and there styles. The offense next year with Paul and Young is going to be another style with Young's pace to push the ball and Paul's court vision and passing. That might be the year we really see what Pike is looking for

I don’t have the answer but I’m going to take an educated guess as Pikiell is smart and I think he realizes that the current state of college basketball is all about the 3 point shot. In defenses like the press I’m sure we will play transition and drive to the hoop and that’s why we need the fast pace with our guards but 3 is more than 2 and I will go back to the Michigan offense and say they recruit all shooters who can nail the 3 pointers and play aggressive defense and rebound and that model works.

We have lacked the number of outside shooters and the ability to pass quickly and set the screen and now that we are recruiting all of this top talent, that would be the direction I think we are headed? If a team can light it up from the arc, you have to match them or the deficit will just not allow you to come back. I also like the bigger guards as it’s harder to shoot over them with the same consistency. You also need FT shooters as if you are fortunate to build a lead, you will be fouled to stop the clock.

Yeah, the Michigan offense works when you have the horses and I think we are getting there. Continue to bring in shooters who want to play insane defense. It should certainly result in a ton of home wins and you can steal a few on the road.

Reactions: dkostus and Scangg
SORRY I MISREAD OP AND ANSWERED RE DEFENSE.

My sense (just a sense) is that he prefers a switching man to man, but that, especially considering this tear’s length we’ll see a good chunk of zone. I can also see a bunch of high-sideline trapping out of the zone.

My sense (just a sense) is that he prefers a switching man to man, but that, especially considering this tear’s length we’ll see a good chunk of zone. I can also see a bunch of high-sideline trapping out of the zone.
I love Pikiells defense and he switches it up nicely depending on the opponent. He makes great halftime adjustments as well.

If I’m remembering correctly from when he was hired, his defense is his defense, but his offense he was basically open to molding it to his players. This, imo, is a sign of a great coach (if they can do it well).

Reactions: Scangg and dkostus
If I’m remembering correctly from when he was hired, his defense is his defense, but his offense he was basically open to molding it to his players. This, imo, is a sign of a great coach (if they can do it well).
We had very few options. It was give it to Corey and let him make the shot. Yes, we had a few other offensive players but not a team with depth. I think we have it now and next year it gets better. 2020 will be the interesting year because with 3 open ships we might find the best of the best out there. He’s doing things correctly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT