ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell on 2017-18 Roster: "We plan on adding another really good player"

ColonelRutgers

All American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2003
From Keith Sargeant's Rutgers Hoops Review/Preview:

"We're going to meet with everybody on the team, and we plan on adding another really good player,'' Pikiell said. "We need to. We need to sit down with everybody and see what their thoughts are moving forward here. We need to continue to upgrade the roster. We need to do a great job recruiting. So we'll see what happens in the next few weeks with that stuff.''

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...view_how_does_steve_p.html#incart_river_index

Odds are he's talking specifically about Mamadou Doucoure reclassifying to Class of 2017 as that "really good player". Interesting to see what news comes out regarding the roster in coming weeks.

"We're going to meet with everybody on the team, and we plan on adding another really good player,'' Pikiell said. "We need to. We need to sit down with everybody and see what their thoughts are moving forward here. We need to continue to upgrade the roster. We need to do a great job recruiting. So we'll see what happens in the next few weeks with that stuff.''

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...view_how_does_steve_p.html#incart_river_index

Odds are he's talking specifically about Mamadou Doucoure reclassifying to Class of 2017 as that "really good player". Interesting to see what news comes out regarding the roster in coming weeks.
I don't think he is talking about Mamadou.

I don't think he is talking about Mamadou.
If that's true and you're right, then if we can add another "good player" and have Mamadou reclassify to the 2017 next year's team could actually be stronger and better than this year's squad with Geo coming in.

Once again, I'm going to be the wet blanket here.

Don't ecpect Geo to come in here & play better than Williams or Johnson. The 4th guard in the rotation isn't going to be worth a massive amount of wins.

The more I watch college basketball the past 3 1/2 days I am convinced with the type of talent we have (and don't have) we need to play uptempo and force turnovers on D and score in transition on offense.

With our lack of wings 5 guards would get minutes if we played intense D and ran as much as possible on O.

Don't ecpect Geo to come in here & play better than Williams or Johnson. The 4th guard in the rotation isn't going to be worth a massive amount of wins.

You need at least 4 capable guards to handle the ball, defend, rebound and play the way RU wants to play.....from late January forward, Sanders was playing more minutes and his production didn't exactly increase because of it. How many games did we have to reach down to Jake Dadika or the other walk on, for minutes??

We are also one rolled ankle away from absolutely having to have another guard...Playing Sanders 34 minutes a game in the B1G, isn't a formula for success over 18-20 games....Baker is an essential piece of the puzzle, even if it doesn't register to a double digit scoring type of player in Year One.

I also think the staff wants to free Sanders up to be a scorer, more than the primary PG 30+ minutes a night....if someone else can handle the ball and start the offense, Sanders can be the one resting, coming off screens or attacking the basket....You can only do that if you have another guard to start the offense and right now, Nigel is the only one capable of doing that on the roster.

This all sounds nice, but thinking Geo Baker will not result in a dropdown of play from our top three is HIGH expectations.

Our fanbase has a tendency to overrate players & then bash them for not meeting the absurd expectations.

I would be happy if Baker is marginally better than Dadika on Day One.

The more I watch college basketball the past 3 1/2 days I am convinced with the type of talent we have (and don't have) we need to play uptempo and force turnovers on D and score in transition on offense.

With our lack of wings 5 guards would get minutes if we played intense D and ran as much as possible on O.

Recent play also shows that there is a ton of talent out there that can play. This kid Shamet on Wichita St. who is leading them in the final minutes against Kentucky is only a freshman and just a 3-star player of of HS. Bottom line - get some solid players in here and let our solid coaches go at it and mold them into high quality players.

Reactions: drewbagel423

I don't think he's talking about Geo either. "Plan on" means they're going to have another 'ship open.

And I think they're going to go after a shooter/guard. Don't know who though. Just guessing.

This all sounds nice, but thinking Geo Baker will not result in a dropdown of play from our top three is HIGH expectations.

Our fanbase has a tendency to overrate players & then bash them for not meeting the absurd expectations.

I would be happy if Baker is marginally better than Dadika on Day One.
If Baker comes in and is only marginally better on Day One than a walk on that has maybe scored 4 points in 3 years then he shouldn't have been given a scholarship. Yeah, some people have absurd expectations but your expectation is absurd on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
If Baker comes in and is only marginally better on Day One than a walk on that has maybe scored 4 points in 3 years then he shouldn't have been given a scholarship. Yeah, some people have absurd expectations but you're expectation is absurd on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Yes....Having Baker and Mensah mean Dadika will be just another walkon.....A practice guy who plays in the last 2 minutes when the game is decided.

Dadika has given us some quality minutes this year.

Much more than any walkon since Keating. He's gotten more time than players on Schollies.

I think my expectations are set right for a 2/3 star freshman bball player.

Much more than any walkon since Keating. He's gotten more time than players on Schollies.

Um, Dadika saw 52 minutes of playing time in 11 games. He scored two points this year. TWO. He also had 5 assists and 4 turnovers. I'm hoping that Baker can give us a bit more "quality" than that. BTW, Khalil Batie had 3 points this year.

Rick, is that you?

No. I'm just someone who is going to have his hand on face while reading posts about Geo underperforming.

I'm expecting 4ppg & 10-15 minutes of action per game. That's not a lifesaver.

I expect more than we got out of Bullock, less than Gettys.

Maybe a better analog would be Candido Sa.

Then you'll know how the rest of us feel reading your posts on this thread about Jake's quality minutes!
:smiley:

Reactions: RickB113
Its easier said than done to add a really good player at this juncture, what I took out of the comments were that there could some schollies open because a couple of players may be leaving

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Why not? Mods said there's an 80-85% he reclassifies and enrolls this Fall. Who else you got?
The only reason I think it may be someone else is that he is widely seen as raw and will need time. Thinking it may be the JUCO or someone we don't knock about.

If Baker can come off the bench and pop a 3 in an end game situation, that's 100x better than Dadika who was clearly not meant to be a scorer as much as a body who could absorb some desperate minutes.

No. I'm just someone who is going to have his hand on face while reading posts about Geo underperforming.

I'm expecting 4ppg & 10-15 minutes of action per game. That's not a lifesaver.

I expect more than we got out of Bullock, less than Gettys.

Maybe a better analog would be Candido Sa.

But the people who will make those msg board comments you are referring to will always complain about everything. They make a ton of throwaway comments that you skip over.

Like clockwork, he'll miss two shots next year and someone will say, " I thought this guy was a shooter". You just ignore comments like that.

Skillet, are you checking out the talent in New Zealand?
You know, I do! Basketball is pretty big down here. Marquis Webb played for the NZ national team a few years back, as did Justin Bailey (HPHS and Piscataway bballer whom I coached in little league soccer). More likely to get us a good punter than a bball player!

I am encouraged by Pikiell's comments because it tells me that additional roster changes will be happening which hopefully will bring some shooters to the squad for next season.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland

Geo doesn't have to be better than Williams or Johnson. Can he hit a free throw? If he can come in as our best FT shooter (not a high bar), he'll see minutes and help us. Even if that's just in the closing minutes of a game where the other team needs to foul, if he can be counted on for 1 or 2 more FTs than another guard, he'll be on the court in those types of situations.

We could use Mamdou and in addition; a Big who can post and rebound and give us 8-10 points a game to go along with another shooter. I don't think its any secret that in order to succeed with our league; you need the 3 ball to go down. Look what Michigan did this year. Big guys who can let it fly with some quick guards and madness on defense.

You are on to something

Coach P wants to....but can't without depth

We were an injury away from having two guess last ysar

ADVERTISEMENT